These anti vaccine people really get to me

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shauna88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Feb 2015, 8:37 pm

They sicken me and deeply upset me. The worst part is that most people seem to believe it. They all believe autism is caused by vaccines, a "leaky gut" from a gluten allergy and can be reversed easily with a special diet and pills. I get told off and recommended a "special diet" and "detox" to easily reverse my autism all the time. When I try to argue against their ignorance they'll scream back "I'm only trying to help you" and "you're sick but you choose to do nothing about it".

It makes me feel so depressed and violated somehow to be accused of not trying hard enough to rid myself of Autism. No one seems to believe it's a brain disorder anymore, this new generations believes it's the result of poor health.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 9:28 pm

Yeah, it's really scary, especially the thought of having such people potentially in positions of power where they can try to FORCE us to take their quack "cures". Also, they could try to outlaw vaccines, meaning along with drug resistant bacteria that medicine would be set back a couple hundred years. Imagine autistics being force fed quack cures and millions of kids dying from preventable diseases. I suggest they go talk to people who survived polio and who remember the rows of kids in iron lungs. Already you have parents doing round after round of chelation to remove imaginary "mercury toxicity" from their kids, and only double down after the cure hurts more than helps. I am already on a 90% paleo diet and guess what, I still fart.

Shauna88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Feb 2015, 9:46 pm

^ I was never like this when I was a kid and a teen.. I have no idea when this movement developed such ferocity. It used to be just a small group of people now it seems it's in the hearts and minds of all mothers everywhere with young children. No one is vaccinating their F-ing kids anymore! People are so anti-gov now and paranoid they likely be completely uninfluenced by a the story of Polio survivor. They would be like "no that wouldn't happen to my kid! They eat organic and have strong immune systems so they wouldn't get polio"

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2015, 11:07 pm

I recently had an epiphany about this...

now, people are afraid of the vaccine because they have been told for years that it causes autism. (whether it's true or not, that's not the point here)

and i say...so what? i'd rather have autism than measles. i've seen those pics of people with measles. Measles WREX you. so no thank you, gimme the vaccine!

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 12:12 am

Simmian7 wrote:
I recently had an epiphany about this...

now, people are afraid of the vaccine because they have been told for years that it causes autism. (whether it's true or not, that's not the point here)

and i say...so what? i'd rather have autism than measles. i've seen those pics of people with measles. Measles WREX you. so no thank you, gimme the vaccine!

And then there's measles encephalitis, which can kill one DEAD in as little as 12 hours. At least autism doesn't kill you. People with autism still can lead full lives. Dead people, OTOH, can't (they're dead, duh).

SydFurry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2015, 12:35 am

Anti-Vax people get to me, too, because the basis of the argument is that people would rather be dead than be disabled in any way. It's disgusting.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 12:43 am

Yes, we live in extremist times and it makes things damn difficult at times. Now, different time periods, different places in the world, and different time periods within the United States have also been extremist.

One thing, we need to endeavor to be the sensible, middle-of-the-road people. For example,

' . . maybe some funky autoimmune something, but not the mercury. . '

' . . maybe not so many vaccines all at once should be given . . '

Now, maybe it's not necessary to spread the vaccines out. And maybe we don't definitely know. But all the same, I think both these statements move the discussion back to the middle in a constructive way. And I invite other people to come up with similar statements.

ScottieKarate
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2015, 3:00 am

I don't believe autism can be treated medically with much success. I do, however, believe that something is going on that is causing a substantial rise in the number of children that live with autism. Is it vaccines? Pesticides? Something from cell phones? Who knows? It could be a billion things. There are thousands of parents who swear their children were different before vaccines made them sick, and when they recovered from their illness, autism remained in it's place. I dunno. I do think in the next 5-10 years, we're going to get a lot of answers. Or we wont.

Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 6:14 am

In a world full of unknowns, people turn to extremes to give them comfort, quite like how since we have no idea what happens when we die we turn to religion. It's the same. Desperate mothers who are confused and lost with how difficult parenting an autistic child will take desperate measures. Vaccines and "leaky gut syndrome" are their answer, even if it's complete crap, it gives them hope. False hope, perhaps, but they spend their time and money paying for a "cure" that turns out to be nothing more than psuedoscience. It's really too bad.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 2:31 pm

I've had measles. I've had chicken pox. I had mumps twice. I also have Autism. I'd take having measles to avoid Autism. However, that's not a real choice as vaccines don't cause Autism. If it were true, why would I have Autism as I had none of these vaccines. We will have a deeper understanding of Autism and these other issues sooner than later. Look at the huge amount of data coming from science. We are probably in a golden age of scientific discovery at levels we've never seen before. We have new tools that make sense of experimental data like never before... There finally is hope...

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Feb 2015, 3:20 pm

ScottieKarate wrote:
I don't believe autism can be treated medically with much success. I do, however, believe that something is going on that is causing a substantial rise in the number of children that live with autism.

There is no such rise. More people are being diagnosed with autism, but that is something very different to more people having autism.

EKB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Feb 2015, 3:46 pm

It is important to consider that there is no one cause of autism and other neuro-immunological disorders. What can be observed is the fact that many people with autism have allergies or sensitivities to environmental agents.
The water, air, soil and even vaccines contain heavy metals and other neuro-toxins. The human central nervous system is not mature until 24 months. It is often unknown if a toddler has an allergy history or what genetic factors might predispose him or her to a meningitis type of reaction to the MMR in particular. I have high functioning autism and experienced a seizure after being vaccinated as a toddler. I am also diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy. I have a variety of allergies to many environmental agents.

It seems to me that if a person has a family history of neurological disorder and or allergies, he or she might consider allergy testing for their child before vaccinating him or her. An alternative vaccine schedule which takes into account development of the nervous system would also be a possibility. Consumers would expect that vaccine manufactures would be researching and developing safer preservatives that are hypo-allergenic.
Until these products become available, parents have every right to lighten their child's toxic load. Vaccines don't cause autism. They just don't help it....

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 4:39 pm

There was an article in the New York Times today that my child psychopathology class looked at, and it discussed the rising numbers of kids developing measles. Apparently there was an outbreak at Disney Land. I asked my professor why people bought into the vaccine theory so readily, but why they refuse to acknowledge evidence that contradicts their beliefs, and he said it comes down to fear; people don't like knowing there's nothing they can do about a problem, so they cling to ideas that don't work just so they can feel like they're doing something. I'd take an autistic kid over a dead kid any day. (Well, to be fair, I'd take an autistic kid over an NT kid any day, but that's a different story.)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 4:42 pm

I had a bad reaction to the MMR vaccine as an infant, and I also caught measles later on as a teenager.

It ain't all fine and dandy.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 5:00 pm

I believe it's a combination of both neurological differences & poor digestive health. I say this because I've done the diet/detox/probiotics thing myself over the last couple years and have reduced my ASD and other symptoms by ~95% and have been back to work and life. I'm literally living a second life for it and have been sharing my story here on WP for the last year - whether people here believe it or not.

So, I don't blame others for suggesting you work on your physical health and see if it benefits your mental health. If all you've done is refuse to explore and try the idea, then you have not proven that it won't work for you.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

03 Feb 2015, 5:34 pm

I agree. Their ignorance is simply astounding! I would rather have autism than die an excruciating death because of the nescience of hebetudinous parents.