Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 1:10 am

Autism Speaks is frequently wrong, but maybe this time it got something right?
http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2015/02/ ... lts/20019/

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 12:16 pm

A positive move - maybe there's some hope yet for them.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2015, 5:26 pm

I'm not in the anti-autism speaks camp, so I think other things they've done are great, too. But yeah, this is another good move. Good on them for doing it.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 5:34 pm

I really don't think this will ever materialize. Autism speaks ultimate goal is to get rid of autism. not help those who have it. AS is putting money into research to finding the genes that cause autism and start doing eugenics. Don't believe it, They found the genes that cause down syndrome and now 99% of all babies testing positive for DS are aborted.

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2015, 5:57 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
AS is putting money into research to finding the genes that cause autism and start doing eugenics. Don't believe it, They found the genes that cause down syndrome and now 99% of all babies testing positive for DS are aborted.

This risk should never be underestimated.

Reading this article, and considering that some parents may be tempted to opt for abortion to avoid having an adult autistic child living at home, the human social world would become even bleaker. Abortion of children with DS is just as dubious. Perhaps abortion for genetic reasons should only be allowed in combination with suicide of the mother and father.

It is a long journey for neurotypically dominated society to recognise the biological purpose and essential social value of neurodiversity. In a culture that celebrates hyper-competitiveness there is very limited room for neurodiversity.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 6:02 pm

Well it's good to see them taking this attitude.

Shauna88
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2015, 7:19 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
I really don't think this will ever materialize. Autism speaks ultimate goal is to get rid of autism. not help those who have it. AS is putting money into research to finding the genes that cause autism and start doing eugenics. Don't believe it, They found the genes that cause down syndrome and now 99% of all babies testing positive for DS are aborted.

Duh! lol everyone knows that. I have periodically followed this organization since 2007 online and I know their game very well. Which is: eradicate autism! And if they can't do that with a gluten free diet, refusing vaccines or chelation therapy they will resort to genetic testing to eradicate autistic people before they're even born.