Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Eliasandjonasmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2015, 10:13 am

My 8th grade son has his IEP today. I wish I felt more prepared, I usually am, however he will be under this iep while transitioning into high school. The last two years he's been doing great at school( besides a few small bumps in the road ) and I've gotton the no news is good news vibes from his teachers. If there's nothing immediate wrong just don't worry about it. Also they feel like since he's older now and doing well, I absolutely should not be hanging over his shoulder. I kind of agree with that, but now that it's iep time, I feel like Im coming up short bringing advice, goals,plans, and stratigies to the table. I'm planning on going there and whatever they lay out we will discuss and address. I just can't help but be concerned I'm not doing enough. Things are good at home, he seems pretty happy, and his grades are all decent. I'd have to think since hes doing so well, any problems will be small enough we can tackle them right away. He has aspergers (mildly if there is such a thing),ADHD,anxiety, tics . Most of his challenges lie within social skills, and organization. This is probably coming once again from an over concerned mom. Any advice? Just stay cool and roll with it? I know iep goals are so tweaked to the individuals challenges and needs so it all depends on where he is, but I'd have to think anything needing work they will bring up, or hopefully ds will.
Thanks,
Cheryl

postcards57
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2015, 9:09 pm

Because this was such a big transition, I talked to the resource teacher about what challenges we might expect at a bigger school, with more teachers, more social challenges, and more responsibility. We agreed to a cautious IEP, and this is what was sent to the team at the high school. The resource team there put all the necessary supports in place and it worked out really well. During the first year of high school, we reevaluated partway through each semester. Now we've removed the modifications in favour of accomodations, and for the most part it is fine. I'd suggest asking for more than what you think you will need, because you don't know how the teen is going to react.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 5:42 pm

If he is doing well, there is no need to stress over these things.
Middle school to high school is not as big a transition as grade school to middle school.