How long should I wear bandages for minor cuts?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 6:10 am

Should I replace them every time I shower until my skin has healed completely?

traven
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 6:38 am

as less as possible, only for protection from getting hurt or dirty
get the bandage off when wet or dirty, you don't need any when you sleep or relax
the healing happens quicker exposed at the air, than under a bandage

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 4:32 am

as short as possible indeed, it is even better to not wear one at all, only put one on if it bleeds for longer than 10 orso seconds.
minor cuts usually don't bleed at all or close quickly. if they are not bleeding, don't wear any bandage

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 8:03 am

I currently have a staph infection on my back. I've been wearing a bandage over it for two purposes:

1) To keep it from oozing infectious bacteria onto my clothing.
2) To keep me from scratching it.

I've been taking antibiotics and the infection is nearly gone now. Sometime in the next few days, I'll have to go to a doctor to have the abscess surgically removed.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 8:22 am

Unless you are immunosupprussed or have some other issue that would make getting an infection more likely or dangerous, then you only have to wear one if it's bothering you. I rarely wear one unless it's bleeding or bothering me when I touch it.

A general rule of thumb is that when it gets more of a problem to change the bandages than deal with the injury, it's time to take them off.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 9:05 am

Only as long as it bleeds/leaks unless it is a kind of cut prone to infections or in an area that is constantly irritated which makes it painful due to being touched. In this case you should wear bandage as long as you do something that might get that wound dirty/painful. And take the bandage off when you are not doing anything like that.

Bandage is there just to protect the wound from infections and further damage as well as protect your surroundings from being dirtied by blood/other body fluids getting out of the wound.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 11:05 am

In addition to the above, you change bandages/dressings whenever they get wet or dirty. If they aren't clean, they can't do their job. UNLESS your wound cannot be exposed at all (which is rare). Normally, you get a bandage wet from washing your hands, you're okay. After a shower or a good soaking, replace it with a fresh one.

Also change them when they are soaked enough to not do a good job of absorbing new fluid weeping from a wound.

If there is concern about ripping off healing tissue, you should be using a bandage/dressing that's designed not to bond with bodily fluids. Most of them don't do it, so you should be okay with this one.