Pentagon suspects Vladimir Putin has Asperger's

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ThetaIn3D
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 12:10 pm

I'm just sharing this, as I stumbled across it this morning and realized you all might like to see it.

I'm not claiming that this is true or false, just bringing you the "news".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... laims.html

(Link is to a Telegraph UK reprint of a story about Putin that's running on multiple news sites today.)

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Feb 2015, 1:07 pm

If the Pentagon actually paid for this "research" hoping to get some useful information then they are more incompetent than I thought but when you read the article pretty much anyone here at least will know it is total garbage and propaganda. It's just a headline and most people can't be bothered to actually read past that, the ones that do probably don't know enough about Asperger's or ASDs in general to know what it total bunk.

Someone on Reddit broke it down

Quote:
I just read the original Pentagon paper that this article was citing. I'm a psychiatry resident at Washington University in St. Louis, which is a place that's well-known for studying the neuroscience of autism (of which Asperger's is a type). There are so many problems with the paper that I think the person who wrote it should be fired immediately. Here are the first few that come to mind: (1) A significant portion of the science quoted is simply wrong, including many things that are used to make big conclusions. I don't want to point out every single MAJOR scientific problem because there are so many of them. One example is that she refers to the "temporal lobe of the prefrontal cortex" as the source of Putin's movement problems. In fact, there is no such thing as the "temporal lobe of the prefrontal cortex" - the temporal lobe and prefrontal cortex are completely different parts of the brain, and neither of them has any influence on subconscious/involuntary movement. It also says that the findings could only be confirmed by MRI, which is also simply false - MRI has no utility in autism/Aperger's. Also, she repeatedly states that the neurological insult would have happened in childhood and brain plasticity would never have recovered, which is also false - brain plasticity recovers remarkably well in children, and even in an adult, it would have mostly recovered if it was caused by the etiology that she suggested. (2) The author is a political scientist with no medical training. As an aside, there are lots of spelling and grammar mistakes in the paper. (3) The author's qualification as a "certified movement analyst" is something that is only provided by a single school, whose only accreditation is by the National Association of Schools of Dance. The person who started it was an expert on dance movements. (4) Most of the psychological findings described in the study would be much better explained by Narcissistic Personality Disorder, which is very common among world leaders because narcissism leads people to seek leadership roles. Any psychiatrist can tell you that, but because the author of the study has no medical training, she didn't know that this is a more likely diagnosis.

ThetaIn3D
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 1:31 pm

Thank you, and thanks to Reddit; that was really funny. I didn't get to see the bit about the "Temporal Lobe of the Prefrontal Cortex", but that is pretty glaring. :lol: Also enjoyed the bit about the dance school. :P

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 4:47 pm

So is this what they spend tax-payer money on?....spreading rumors that so and so might have aspergers based on no real evidence. I guess it was pretty important to cut food stamps like they did recently to fund this important cause....and others like it :roll:

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 5:21 pm

Has it occurred to the Pentagon that Putin's body language may be related to someone who spent a large part of his career working for the KGB? Newspaper report is total rubbish. And it's not even April 1st.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 5:23 pm

What is sad about this propaganda piece is that it is basically playing up people's stereotypes of Asperger's and autism in general to the uninformed public, this is what our government thinks about us.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:33 pm

What if it is true?

All the people talking about the idea of Aspies running their own community or country would have to contend with the example of Mr. Putin's regime, and how Russia is being run today.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:38 pm

Putin, an aspie??? Extremely improbable. The way that guy likes to show off, he's probably a narcissist, but he doesn't strike me as being on the spectrum.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:41 pm

Soon they will also conclude he is related to Vlad the Impaler and is a vampire. :lol:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
What if it is true

All the people talking about the idea of Aspies running their own community or country would have to contend with the example of Mr. Putin's regime, and how Russia is being run today.

Compared to definite non-Aspie Boris Yeltsin, pretty well actually. :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:54 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Fnord wrote:
What if it is true? All the people talking about the idea of Aspies running their own community or country would have to contend with the example of Mr. Putin's regime, and how Russia is being run today.
Compared to definite non-Aspie Boris Yeltsin, pretty well actually.
Well, you certainly have a point there. What could be worse than Vladimir Putin? Any one of his predecessors on any given day ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 7:57 pm

'The theory about Putin's condition could not be definitively confirmed without a brain scan, the report said.' - from the article

This is news to me. I did not know this was even possible. What would a brain scan reveal?

Anyway, the mere suggestion that V. Putin may have Asperger's Syndrome is ridiculous on the face of it. He is a politician for goodness sake! Politicians need to be able to understand body language, facial expressions, social cues, be capable of engaging in 'small talk' with both colleagues and voters, be diplomatic when the need for it arises, and be perfectly happy telling lies and living a lie as well.
Yeah, sure, Vlad Putin has Asperger's Syndrome. What rubbish.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 8:03 pm

Well, on the chance that Putin is one of us, we have people in the sciences like Einstein and Tesla, and in the arts, like Lovecraft and Kafka, so it was only a matter of time till we'd have to accept a meglomaniacal despot like Putin. :?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 10:31 pm

If he's an ASpie, I'm a Shaolin Buddhist Monk ...

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 2:24 am

I don't see why they had to put a diagnosis on him. All they had to do was observe how he behaves and try to construct a way to interact with him.

I know it's super duper fun and s**t for psychologists to put labels on people. I mean it's really really fun. But I think a lot of times it's better to just keep things simple, focus on the behaviors, and what can help.