Pentagon suspects Vladimir Putin has Asperger's

Page 4 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 9:31 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I turned that argument around by saying those that are not geniuses etc such as me that claim to have Aspergers hurt the "real aspies" who think they are "superior" to NT's and other autistics whom they do not want to be associated with by giving a false impression that as aspies are not a superior.

Which i suspect is behind more than one reason for getting cranky at folks like me who dare entertain the idea we might be on the spectrum but haven't parted with $5000 to have a piece of paper to join such an esteemed group of diagnosis snobs

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 9:33 pm

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
The other day a mosquito on my arm failed to make eye contact. It also didn't seem to be socializing with the other mosquitos. So I diagnosed it with having Aspergers Syndrome.

You do know that animals have been diagnosed with autism

That wouldn't surprise me. However there's only conjecture regarding the matter. No animal has ever received a formal diagnosis of autism.

No animal could afford the exorbitant cost of assessment without some form of health insurance.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 1:13 am

Putin is after a unipolar world so we know he ain't bipolar like the olden days.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 7:17 am

Lintar wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Based on the slightest bits of anecdotal evidence, just about everyone has Aspergers. So why is this even an issue? Who doesn't have Aspergers?

The armchair diagnostic criteria has been made so flimsy, it can be applied to just about anyone or anything, including animals and cartoon characters.

The other day a mosquito on my arm failed to make eye contact. It also didn't seem to be socializing with the other mosquitos. So I diagnosed it with having Aspergers Syndrome.

Exactly. The so-called spectrum of autism has become so wide and inclusive, that just about everyone on the planet must have it by now.

Scores of unqualified people diagnosing most every person, character, cartoon and you name it, with autism, to the point where autism diagnosis starts becoming virtually irrelevant. These's a certain percentage of people already who think there's no such thing as autism. And then you have those going around telling everyone having autism is an asset.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 7:47 pm

EzraS wrote:
Lintar wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Based on the slightest bits of anecdotal evidence, just about everyone has Aspergers. So why is this even an issue? Who doesn't have Aspergers?

The armchair diagnostic criteria has been made so flimsy, it can be applied to just about anyone or anything, including animals and cartoon characters.

Exactly. The so-called spectrum of autism has become so wide and inclusive, that just about everyone on the planet must have it by now.

Scores of unqualified people diagnosing most every person, character, cartoon and you name it, with autism, to the point where autism diagnosis starts becoming virtually irrelevant. These's a certain percentage of people already who think there's no such thing as autism. And then you have those going around telling everyone having autism is an asset.

There are also number of people who think it's ok to judge self-diagnosed people and even lower fucntioning people on spectrum because they carry a piece of paper they paid between $500-$1000 for but then happily operate like fully functional members of the wider neurotypical society and even have a family and kids.

Many people have a formal Aspergers diagnosis from pre-2015 choose to wear it like a badge of honor that undiagnosed people like myself arn't entitled to join (which of course they are entitled to their opinion - after all it's a free world). I know from WP posts in that era of DSMV that most were unhappy (and probably still are) to be classified with lower functioning autistic people. Now those same people also think it's ok to access tax payer support funding for disability (which should really be allocated for those lower on the spectrum) but turn around and say they are not disabled because Aspergers is not a disability?

You can't have your cake and eat it.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 9:50 pm

DancingCorpse wrote:
Putin is after a unipolar world so we know he ain't bipolar like the olden days.

No, it is precisely because he doesn't believe in a world controlled by just one nation that he is behaving the way he is. He wants to make Russia great again, for reasons similar to why Mr. Trump wants to do the same for his country, and this is not something that we should be concerned about. He doesn't want to "conquer the world", Adolf Hitler style; he just wants his country to be treated with respect, which at the moment it is not getting much of.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:
There are also number of people who think it's ok to judge self-diagnosed people and even lower fucntioning people on spectrum because they carry a piece of paper they paid between $500-$1000 for but then happily operate like fully functional members of the wider neurotypical society and even have a family and kids.

Yes, I have to agree. Raising a family is hard enough for those who know how to ensure they don't end up unemployed because they have a way of relating to their boss and co-workers that isn't "irritating", "rude" and otherwise conducive to ending up in the dole queue. Maybe it's just me, but I simply cannot understand how someone diagnosed with A.S./autism could go down the "traditional route" with a wife/husband, children, career and so on. Wouldn't it just be far too difficult?

cyberdad wrote:
Many people have a formal Aspergers diagnosis from pre-2015 choose to wear it like a badge of honour that undiagnosed people like myself aren't entitled to join (which of course they are entitled to their opinion - after all it's a free world). I know from WP posts in that era of DSMV that most were unhappy (and probably still are) to be classified with lower functioning autistic people. Now those same people also think it's ok to access tax payer support funding for disability (which should really be allocated for those lower on the spectrum) but turn around and say they are not disabled because Aspergers is not a disability?

I'm not happy with the DSMV about this either. I've actually met people, and know reasonably well one, who are seriously affected by what most people associate with the word "autism", and I can honestly say I am not like them at all. Lumping Asperger's Syndrome with autism was a mistake, for lots of reasons, one of those reasons being the general perception amongst the general populace that we are "ret*d" like Rain Man, and can therefore treat us accordingly, even though we are usually much more intelligent than they could ever hope to be.

I don't have anything against those who have it, but I just can't relate to the word "autism" at all. It's not me.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Now those same people also think it's ok to access tax payer support funding for disability (which should really be allocated for those lower on the spectrum) but turn around and say they are not disabled because Aspergers is not a disability?

You can't have your cake and eat it.

Another good point. It's something I've been confused about as well. Is Asperger's Syndrome an actual disability? In the sense that it makes accomplishing all the things that "normal" people take for granted (like relationships, career), then it most certainly IS. Then there are the sensory issues, the anxiety, the clumsiness, the inability to "multitask" (ex. drive a manual car), the relative incapacity to control one's emotions in times of stress, and it seems to me to be much more than just the end result of the majority not understanding us and therefore not taking our "difference in perspective and brain wiring" into account. Being unable to cue in to body language, and therefore being blind to it, can be just as debilitating as actually being colour-blind, and not seeing all the colours that others talk so often about.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Jun 2017, 7:49 am

Vladimir Putin could be posting on this very forum right now... 8O :lol:

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 9:48 pm

Jacoby wrote:

Oh no. 8O

They're on to me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 2:57 am

Lintar wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes, I have to agree. Raising a family is hard enough for those who know how to ensure they don't end up unemployed because they have a way of relating to their boss and co-workers that isn't "irritating", "rude" and otherwise conducive to ending up in the dole queue. Maybe it's just me, but I simply cannot understand how someone diagnosed with A.S./autism could go down the "traditional route" with a wife/husband, children, career and so on. Wouldn't it just be far too difficult?

cyberdad wrote:
Many people have a formal Aspergers diagnosis from pre-2015 choose to wear it like a badge of honour that undiagnosed people like myself aren't entitled to join (which of course they are entitled to their opinion - after all it's a free world). I know from WP posts in that era of DSMV that most were unhappy (and probably still are) to be classified with lower functioning autistic people. Now those same people also think it's ok to access tax payer support funding for disability (which should really be allocated for those lower on the spectrum) but turn around and say they are not disabled because Aspergers is not a disability?

I'm not happy with the DSMV about this either. I've actually met people, and know reasonably well one, who are seriously affected by what most people associate with the word "autism", and I can honestly say I am not like them at all. Lumping Asperger's Syndrome with autism was a mistake, for lots of reasons, one of those reasons being the general perception amongst the general populace that we are "ret*d" like Rain Man, and can therefore treat us accordingly, even though we are usually much more intelligent than they could ever hope to be.

I don't have anything against those who have it, but I just can't relate to the word "autism" at all. It's not me.

This rant is a reaction to the general topic not these particular quotes. I have functioned semi normally in the job world and not remotly normally as far as relationships. You can be autistic and function semi normally if your autism is "mild" enough, you work hard enough at it, make smart choices and are lucky enough to find yourself in not Autistic very unfriendly surroundings/ people. I think it is harder to find not autism hostile surroundings today then when I was a young adult. Obviously if you are employable for whatever reasons you should not be collecting disability.

As far as Aspie identity thing I shall forever be resentful that what was a positive has been turned into a negative. The whole idea of Aspergers diagnosis was to lessen the stigma of autism so more actual autistics could get diagnosed. "Aspie" was invented to counter the then dominant view of autistics as hopelessly broken burdens to thier families and society so that "Aspies" did not hate themselves. Some Aspies possibly aided by black and white thinking or overcompensation became supremacists about it. Somehow with the help of media stereotyping that thinking has become the domiment view of the way Aspergers people think of thenselves. Supremicists, you got what you wanted. You proved to yourselves how smart you are once again. Aspergers is not an official diagnosis. The Aspergers brand is probably hopelessly tainted with elitism, all the while the suicide ideation rate for diagnosed adult Aspies is horriffic. But then those people either never were real aspies or have been brainwashed (SMH)

Shame of it is Aspies are autistics. Until major differences in genealogy, brain structure, or core traits are proven you are not going to convince me otherwise. You "shiny aspies" who think you got it all figured out maybe one day will have circumstances radically change for you, you will burn out and it will be you who look and feel as autistic as the rest of us because you are.

Pathetic Plea:
It would be really helpful if we would stop diagnosing, undiagnosing, questioning diagnosis groups of people be it the self diagnosed or the appearently normally functioning. Stage 4 cancer people do not go around questioning if Stage 0 cancer people really have cancer and most stage 0 cancer people do not create posts arguing why they should be disassociated from other people with cancer. This is true for most other conditions.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

Jacoby wrote:

If he did he and the KGB would soon conclude 1. it would be a waste of resources to try and understand us. 2. We are not a threat to Mother Russia, only ourselves :cry:

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 11:05 am

The whole line of discussion assumes that you can have this condition, and still, not only run a country, but a superpower.

SJW cyber chondriacs, if any are reading, should not use this as an excuse to play the victim, or seek protected, minority status.