Page 7 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 12:04 am

WAautisticguy wrote:

Being pushy at your job. Walk into a retail store, and there's an 18-year-old NT in your face asking you "Hi! How are you doing? What are you looking for today? Can I help you?" You know what, leave me alone and let me look for myself.

That one I can forgive because they are told to do this by management. I worked at Walmart for 4 years (glad that's over) and we were instructed about the "10-foot rule": if a customer is 10 feet or less away from you, approach and ask "Are you finding everything okay?" or something to that effect. We took it seriously in the event just one customer complained that they weren't asked :roll: --we were made to believe that this was a "termination-worthy" offense.

In my experience, even NTs do NOT want to do this, but they do want to keep their jobs.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2015, 12:11 am

Sheesh. And that's why I will never work in a retail or fast food environment. Too much stress, too much "fake greetings", too much of a waste of my time. Yes I know, most teenagers start in retail/fast food. But most of the teenagers are NTs who are good with being social.
Ironically, the field I want to go into for a job later in life involves lots of talking and stress...but it's not fast food or retail. It's teaching. I volunteered last year for a local elementary school, and within a few weeks I loved it and the kids knew me by name. :) And retail/fast food does NOTHING to your real resume for the education field.
But under NO circumstances will I end up being cashier or assistant in a grocery/department store. Sorry you had to go through that stress. Ugh.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 5:45 am

Telling me about things a the last minute. If you want me to do something, give me time to think about it, otherwise the answer will almost certainly be a "no".

TheAP wrote:
I agree about the touching thing. I don't mind being hugged, but I don't like being randomly patted. After someone touches me, I always rub the area they touched, as if to wipe away the feeling of their touch.

I'm exactly the same in that regard.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 6:05 am

Yer mum

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 6:17 am

When I was a teenager I had the other girls completely treating me the way they wouldn't want to be treated.
They never shared any sweets with me, but expected me to share mine by asking me "nicely". They always made rude remarks at me what hurt my feelings. I was never rude or nasty to them. Then one day I decided to give them a taste of their own medicine. When one of them opened up a lunch-box revealing a salad what she had made in cookery class, I expressed that I didn't like salad, by looking at it and going, "eww!" The girl then looked very hurt and said, "thanks for saying that, Jo! It took me and hour to make this!" And she turned away from me, and the others glared at me. I suppose none of them actually realised that was how they've been making me feel all these years of High School. Then when I decide to say something unpleasant what I imagined they would say to me, I just got hated even more.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 7:33 pm

When people insist on giving me something I said I don't want. Like when I buy something, and I say I don't want it in a bag, but they say "are you sure?" and they put it in a bag anyway.

EmeraldGreen
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2015, 7:55 pm

I think knowing when to interrupt, knowing how to, and when, are finer social skills than a lot of Autistic people can summon. I am right there on the borderline of Asperger's/NT and I struggle daily, consciously with this in many dialogues and try and take my time to respond. When in doubt, I try to shut up and wait. Knowing when/how to interrupt even when the conversation sounds like dwindling, petty "Blah, blah, blah, blah " to us is not always easy or possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXWrmQW-OE

Nicola2206
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2015, 8:34 pm

ReticentJaeger wrote:
I've noticed that a lot of NTs do things that I'm surprised aren't considered rude. Or maybe they are, but no one's said anything.

Interrupting a conversation to say 'hi'. This happens a lot at my church. Whether it's me talking to friends, my parents talking to me, or my parents talking to friends, people are always interrupting to say hi. This alone might not be considered rude (though it does annoy me to no end), but sometimes the newcomer will start asking a bunch of other questions and start their own conversation with the person. Sometimes I'm interrupted mid-sentence. I just don't understand how this is socially acceptable.

Talking to someone who's reading a book. "What are you reading?" "Do you like it?" "What's it about?" "Are you seeing the movie?" "My daughter's read that!" It's probably not just NTs who do this, but enough people do so it seems to be normal behavior.

Has anyone else noticed something that NTs—or just people in general—do that appears rude to you?

Yeah I agree but there are many other things I'd like to add, such as:

Expecting someone to talk or engage in a conversation
Expecting someone to accept their invitations to social events and getting mad if they don't
Talking loudly and just being loud

I don't know, just most of their expectations are rude

AQ Score: 40

SQ: 52
EQ: 5

Empathizing - systemizing mixed test version results

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2015, 9:49 pm

My top five list...

1. Whistling! NT's that really believe they have some sort of musical tallent should take up a real instrument.
2. Asking B.S. questions like, "are you working hard or hardly working".
3. Belittling persons like myself who cannot eat certain foods like vegetables with crap like,"oh, you're on borrowed time".
4. Suggesting I can't be a man because I'm scared of things like operating power tools or driving a manual car with a clutch, et cetera.
5. Thinking they're "born salespersons", meaning they can get anyone to buy anything if they stay persistant.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2015, 9:57 pm

Rockymtnchris wrote:
My top five list...

1. Whistling! NT's that really believe they have some sort of musical tallent should take up a real instrument.
2. Asking B.S. questions like, "are you working hard or hardly working".
3. Belittling persons like myself who cannot eat certain foods like vegetables with crap like,"oh, you're on borrowed time".
4. Suggesting I can't be a man because I'm scared of things like operating power tools or driving a manual car with a clutch, et cetera.
5. Thinking they're "born salespersons", meaning they can get anyone to buy anything if they stay persistant.

Actually what I say to #2 is "I'm not doing what you're doing which is working hard at hardly working." Then I turn around and ignore them. :roll:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2015, 10:38 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Rockymtnchris wrote:
My top five list...

2. Asking B.S. questions like, "are you working hard or hardly working?".

Actually what I say to #2 is "I'm not doing what you're doing which is working hard at hardly working." Then I turn around and ignore them. :roll:

Nice comeback. I'll start rehearsing it. I had thought about trying, "are you at peace at work or just a piece of work?"
FWIW, I once countered #4 with, "a real man understands and accepts his own limitations and cares about the safety of himself and others", after which I was told I'm never happy unless I'm "raining on someone's parade".

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 8:24 am

Somethingsomething wrote:
ReticentJaeger wrote:
Earlier, I think someone mentioned double standards. It angers me that while it's not socially acceptable to comment on an overweight person's body, it's somehow still okay to say rude things to people who are more petite.

I've been told—twice, I believe—that 'a small wind would blow me away'.

I don't appreciate comments like 'you're so pale!' or philosophical questions such as 'why are you so short?', either.

Yeah, this might be moving a bit off topic but second to this comment- when I was out shopping for a new jacket a sales assistant exclaimed "Goodness me, you're so scrawny! You need to eat something!" and I smiled and laughed and said "oh well, I'll try!" because, of course. Friendly and happy is my default character when I don't know how to respond.

I walked away thinking, would they say "Goodness me, you're so big! You need to stop eating!" if they thought I was fat? Doubtful. Clear double standards. Just like that bass song by Natalie Trainor- not nice.

I hate when NT's have "in" jokes that involve gestures and slang/made up words, then when you ask what they mean they say "nothing nevermind" or they explain it but still don't tell you/spell out what the funny part is, while other NT person next to you "gets it" straight away.

Being seventeen, 4'11", and 85 pounds, I've had more than a fair share of unsolicited comments. Twice I've been told that 'a small gust of wind would blow me away'. The second person to say it was a nurse who had just gotten done weighing me. My brother's also gotten some idiotic comments such as, "Do you drive, like, a little clown car?" I think he tolerates it better than I do.

Nicola2206
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2015, 9:17 am

Commenting about someone's looks.
It is rude.
The other day a bartender asked my dad if he made me cut my hair.
What does that even mean?? And how can you ask a stranger something like that about his child? Or me, if I was talking to him. Why do strangers make random personal questions??

I don't get it. It makes me cringe. :?

Nicola2206
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2015, 9:21 am

ReticentJaeger wrote:
Somethingsomething wrote:
ReticentJaeger wrote:
Earlier, I think someone mentioned double standards. It angers me that while it's not socially acceptable to comment on an overweight person's body, it's somehow still okay to say rude things to people who are more petite.

I've been told—twice, I believe—that 'a small wind would blow me away'.

I don't appreciate comments like 'you're so pale!' or philosophical questions such as 'why are you so short?', either.

Yeah, this might be moving a bit off topic but second to this comment- when I was out shopping for a new jacket a sales assistant exclaimed "Goodness me, you're so scrawny! You need to eat something!" and I smiled and laughed and said "oh well, I'll try!" because, of course. Friendly and happy is my default character when I don't know how to respond.

I walked away thinking, would they say "Goodness me, you're so big! You need to stop eating!" if they thought I was fat? Doubtful. Clear double standards. Just like that bass song by Natalie Trainor- not nice.

I hate when NT's have "in" jokes that involve gestures and slang/made up words, then when you ask what they mean they say "nothing nevermind" or they explain it but still don't tell you/spell out what the funny part is, while other NT person next to you "gets it" straight away.

Being seventeen, 4'11", and 85 pounds, I've had more than a fair share of unsolicited comments. Twice I've been told that 'a small gust of wind would blow me away'. The second person to say it was a nurse who had just gotten done weighing me. My brother's also gotten some idiotic comments such as, "Do you drive, like, a little clown car?" I think he tolerates it better than I do.

I'm thin and people say that to me. It makes me wanna scream. I don't get it. I don't understand people who make jokes/comments about a stranger's physical appearance or behavior. I find it intrusive, disrespectful, rude and embarrassing. I never know how to respond to that. I wish I could tell them to mind their own business, but I just can't get myself to do it :|

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2015, 10:32 am

not responding to a phone, text, or email message.

EmeraldGreen
Toucan
Toucan

12 Sep 2015, 10:36 am

Everyone is guilty of that, and many of the offenses cited so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXWrmQW-OE