How come medium/low functioning autistics like sports?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 5:36 pm

Seriously though. It seems like those who are not high-functioning are more likely to be into sports. I know many medium-functioning and low-functioning individuals who are into sports and even participate in them such as the special olympics. Meanwhile, only a few of those with Aspergers actually like sports. No offense but most people with HFA are not into sports at all. Trust me I know.

Why do you think that is? Why do you think those with lower forms of Autism like sports more?

Leester
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 1:39 pm

I'm HFA, and I like sports. My favorite being auto racing. I have been watching since I was 2. I remember big races like the 1992 Indy 500 battle between Al Unser Jr and Scott Goodyear and the 1998 Daytona 500 when Dale Earnhardt Sr won for the first time. I also remember when F1 driver Lewis Hamilton won for the first time in the Brazilian Grand Prix on the last lap on the last turn in 2008. Pretty exciting stuff! Sadly, I also remember when Ayryon Senna and Dale Sr died as well too. When I was a kid, my dream was to be a pro race car driver. Now I race high performance radio control cars and I'm a five-time national champion and I've been overseas for RC racing events as well too.

Leester
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 2:14 pm

Back to the topic. As far as why Aspies or auties don't like sports. Probably maybe they are not good at them or they maybe they were bullied when they were in school. Also I probably think their quirky behavior made them easy targets for being pushed around in gym class. That's my guess.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 2:39 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
Seriously though. It seems like those who are not high-functioning are more likely to be into sports. I know many medium-functioning and low-functioning individuals who are into sports and even participate in them such as the special olympics. Meanwhile, only a few of those with Aspergers actually like sports. No offense but most people with HFA are not into sports at all. Trust me I know.

Why do you think that is? Why do you think those with lower forms of Autism like sports more?

Well I am classified as having aspergers which I have documentation, but at the place I go for therapy and see the psychiatrist to help depression, anxiety and PTSD has it listed as PDD NOS. I feel quite medium functioning at best, but then I also have those co-morbid which could very well be a contributing factor as to my functioning abilities. But yeah cannot say I am really into sports, I will be pretty active at concerts from time to time I even get crazy enough to join the mosh pit at metal shows other times when I am feeling a little less brutal I might just stand on the outside to keep the mosh pit together....Its interesting usually you have a circle in the middle and then a circle of people around that keep the mosh pit maintained as well as helping up people who end up falling and so then people who don't want to be a part of it don't end up getting crashed into.
I hear at some of these hardcore and/or whatever the f*** core shows or whatever people just behave like a**holes but have yet to see that at a metal show...usually if there is someone trying to hurt people or doing something dumb like throwing their fists and elbows around they don't tend to last long in the pit because no one wants them there. inside that so then people who don't want to be a part of it don't end up getting crashed into. Anyways before I derail the thread too much, I do like walking though sometimes it gets to be a hassle since its my transportation aside from the bus. But sports have never really appealed to me at all, expect I did somewhat enjoy dogeball in school, though would have been more fun with less a**holes in my classes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 2:54 pm

I'm an aspie and I enjoy watching sports on TV. I watch both the Summer and Winter Olympics, hockey, football, American and Canadian football and tennis.