difference between high medium and low functioning autism

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Where on the spectrum would you place yourself?
I am high functioning 69%  69%  [ 64 ]
I am medium functioning 19%  19%  [ 18 ]
I am low functioning 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
I have a child with high functioning autism 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
I have a child with medium functioning autism 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I have a child with low functioning autism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am neurotypical 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 93

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 10:56 am

btbnnyr wrote:
In autism studies, higher language ability and higher IQ often go together, as does higher adaptive functioning.

If you use the Weschler's IQ tests, they do. If you use Raven's Progressive Matrices (which doesn't require language), they don't.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4287210/

(Note: not all autistics score higher on the RPM, as that study implies. People with NVLD typically score lower on that test. But either way, my point stands.)

sepikmari
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 May 2015, 1:06 pm

Holding down a job is great but so stressful.
Do you have problems with music?
They blast it at work and sing along.
Like crunching ground glass into my ears.
You have to put up with a lot to hold down a job.
Try to find one you can do alone, like art or writing or programming...

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 1:27 pm

I scored 10 points higher (under 90) on Raven's test.

sepikmari
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 May 2015, 2:03 pm

I got a 163 on RAADS and 9 on AQ-10.
They're just numbers.

theautisticvictum
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 May 2015, 3:30 pm

I have mild to moderate autism, which basically means that I am on the borderline lower which classifies as mild autism.

My intelligence is pretty normal, I have a hard time going out in public, I don't get a long with people and the same way around.

I would rather wished I had more of a a milder form or Aspergers, It would of made my life easier.

sepikmari
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 May 2015, 4:17 pm

Can't really say if it would be easier to have a milder form or not since I'm not you, I can only say I'm high functioning and it is NOT easy.
When you are able to act (and I say act to mean that you are acting, not being yourself) "almost normal" people expect you to be just like them, get annoyed when you are quirky and they don't cut you any slack.

Its also tough having a high IQ and being an Aspie because when you say things that you think would be good and instructive, they get angry. My therapist says it's because when you explain stuff, in minute detail as we're prone to do, it's like you're really telling the other person that they're stupid. I don't mean to say that at all, but I am told that's how it comes across.

I think whatever we have we need to learn to embrace, not wish we were something we're not. I'm middle aged so I've had a lot of practice and I'm still trying to learn to do that. Some good days, some bad, especially holidays which I always spend alone.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 4:37 pm

Ettina wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
In autism studies, higher language ability and higher IQ often go together, as does higher adaptive functioning.

If you use the Weschler's IQ tests, they do. If you use Raven's Progressive Matrices (which doesn't require language), they don't.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4287210/

(Note: not all autistics score higher on the RPM, as that study implies. People with NVLD typically score lower on that test. But either way, my point stands.)

I use preponderance of evidence, not one study using one test, to suggest that higher IQ and verbal skills as measured by a variety of tests in multiple studies are associated with higher adaptive functioning.
RPM is a valid test of intellectual functioning, but it has its own deficiencies like any test including Wechsler, which requires too much communication for many autistic people to take.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 1:07 pm

Ettina wrote:

Are you implying that NVLD is a form of autism?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 1:19 pm

ASdogGeek wrote:
On the same route my roomate tested at a 210 IQ but she can't figire out how to move a box if something is ontop of it, so in the same right high IQ is not linked to daily living skills or capability to live independenly

I would very much like to know which IQ test is even valid at such a high IQ.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:37 am

bump

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:55 am

I don't believe in functioning levels.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 11:49 am

Mild Autism - Normal Verbal Skills, Fewer Repetitive behaviors, Atypical social interactions.
Moderate Autism - Difficulty in verbal communication, Social Dysfunctions, May have behavioral problems.
Severe Autism - Severe deficits in verbal communication, Behavioral extremes, Impairment in social skills.
I'm kind of in between Mild and Moderate. But I am more Moderate. So I consider myself Moderate.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 12:00 pm

Some Autistic people prefer to describe themselves rather than use functioning labels.
If I had to describe myself.
My Autism effects me a lot, I am very smart, I have very repetitive behaviors, I have social dysfunctions, I have very intense obsessions, I have difficulties in communicating verbally, and I have poor social skills.
I like this way of doing it a lot. Than you can add a functioning label to it if you like.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 12:01 pm

Try to avoid functioning labels and describe yourself in a few sentences like I just did.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 12:12 pm

Even though the high-functioning label describes me the very accurately, I hate these labels. I know people with "moderate to severe" autism are usually more intelligent than they get credit for.