Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

elliot87
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2015, 1:14 am

I have an idea for a game my friend recommended me to stencyl which looks sweet BUT I want it to be multiplayer or it won't work

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 3:04 am

Just be warned, a multiplayer game is an extremely hard sell when you're new to this. Usually, only experienced devs that have been around for awhile can get away with it, since it doesnt work at all if you cant build up a decent player population. And by "hard sell" I dont just mean if you're selling it for money; even if you're just offering it for free, this will be the case.

It's something to consider before starting, since making anything at all takes a ton of work and time, and it'd be all to waste if you cant get people into it.

elliot87
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2015, 3:10 am

It's one vs one that might make it easier?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 10:23 am

Hm, it's hard to say. It's not so much the number of players per match that causes the problem; it's the fact that with any multiplayer game, players do NOT like having to wait long amounts of time to get a match going. The lower the size of the community, the longer and longer it takes. Even in something like fighting games, which are almost always 1 on 1; I've seen too many of those where they're pretty good, but the online part (or even offline!) just dies way too fast because the devs/publisher couldnt attract enough people to it quickly enough. Particularly when you consider competition with other similar games.

One thing that might help a TON, for any game making you want to do for any genre, is to find a good community that focuses on indie game development and such; you can get people to test out and try your game as you put it together, get help on issues you run into, and stuff like that. It could really help you get to where you want to go with this.

A good one to start with: http://gamejolt.com/

It's not too hard to get games noticed on there, and the sheer number of games of all types also means there's lots of things that you can take inspiration from. Good and large community there. Its exactly the sort of place to go when you're starting out with this sort of thing.

I'm curious though, just what sort of game are you looking to make?

elliot87
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2015, 5:08 pm

Turn based army vs army game or real time in unit vs unit