Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2015, 3:20 am

Valentines day is a lie!

:3

And before you ask, no, I'm not single. I just think it's a massive con and more about money than love.

Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 7:32 am

By that logic isn't every holiday about money? Everyone is going to exploit it and profit off it as best they can but it shouldn't take away from what the hoilday is, spending time with someone you love. Even if it means someone profits off it, you should too.

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2015, 7:51 am

886 wrote:
By that logic isn't every holiday about money? Everyone is going to exploit it and profit off it as best they can but it shouldn't take away from what the hoilday is, spending time with someone you love. Even if it means someone profits off it, you should too.

Oh trust me, I don't believe in other holidays either. I think Christmas is a waste of money, so are birthdays etc. As is said in the video there are 365 days in a year, why not be spontaneous or loving on the other days and buy someone presents then? Boggles the mind, truly does.

Also, Easter is about sex. Christmas (before the Christians and capitalists stole it) was about community and giving only, why not do that without the price tag?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 4:03 pm

Actually, before Christmas was co-opted by Christians it was a Pagan holiday celebrating the return the sun/longer days, and/or the birth of the son of the God and Goddess. Community and giving had nothing to do with the original celebration of Solstice/Midwinter/Yule. It was a religious holiday but not a Christian one. The Catholic Church moved the feast of the birth of Christ to Dec 25 so that people would be more likely to celebrate that at the traditional time of year that they celebrated their regular holiday.

While Easter was originally Ostara and on March 21st and is one of the fertility holidays in Pagan religion, it's not about sex per se. Beltane is more about sex than Ostara is. Ostara is about the fertility of the lands, the livestock and the return of spring. Beltane is about sex, human love and fertility as well as the crops.

Valentine's day is a Catholic feast day for St Valentine, which has been co-opted by society to be about romance. So, it's not a lie, it's a for real holiday. You don't have to celebrate it if you don't like it though.

But I do wish people would get the Pagan holidays straight before they start deciding what they actually do mean. Then again, I never expect them to. Especially when the first ten answers on Google are *always so right*.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2015, 4:10 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Actually, before Christmas was co-opted by Christians it was a Pagan holiday celebrating the return the sun/longer days, and/or the birth of the son of the God and Goddess. Community and giving had nothing to do with the original celebration of Solstice/Midwinter/Yule. It was a religious holiday but not a Christian one. The Catholic Church moved the feast of the birth of Christ to Dec 25 so that people would be more likely to celebrate that at the traditional time of year that they celebrated their regular holiday.

While Easter was originally Ostara and on March 21st and is one of the fertility holidays in Pagan religion, it's not about sex per se. Beltane is more about sex than Ostara is. Ostara is about the fertility of the lands, the livestock and the return of spring. Beltane is about sex, human love and fertility as well as the crops.

Valentine's day is a Catholic feast day for St Valentine, which has been co-opted by society to be about romance. So, it's not a lie, it's a for real holiday. You don't have to celebrate it if you don't like it though.

But I do wish people would get the Pagan holidays straight before they start deciding what they actually do mean. Then again, I never expect them to. Especially when the first ten answers on Google are *always so right*.

Thank you so much for the corrections. I don't just look on Google to find things out though.

So Jack isn't correct in that video that there's no actual historical evidence for Saint Valentine? Or it's kind of wishy washy?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 4:17 pm

886 wrote:

^this

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 4:19 pm

I didn't watch the video, and while St Valentine is not officially on the books and there is debate about who is actually St Valentine, it's a day to celebrate the martyred. That's why it's considered to be about love. Loving someone, something, some idea or belief so much that you would gladly die for it.

Catholics put a lot of store by martyrs.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

KayteeKay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2015, 8:14 am

So don't celebrate it. Easy-peasy solution!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Feb 2015, 2:31 pm

I feel the same way you do infopunkie about vDay & other holidays & I'm also in a relationship. My parents never been heavily into holidays & I'm no fun & hate extra work. Plus anything I'd want I'd have to get myself & I don't know how to pick gifts for others.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2015, 5:18 pm

Oh, I like giving gifts and with some people it's easy. Others make it hard they never communicate what they want and try to "hint", which I can sometimes get but hinting is a dangerous game to play as the hint can be pointed towards the wrong thing sometimes.

I also just don't see the reason for doing it on a particular day. Be spontaneous, not sticking to a deadline. Be loving, don't base your gift giving on fear that someone will say or do something drastic if you don't.