Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 1:46 pm

What works for you?
Or do believe that the natural look is the way to be?

For me a lady shaver works best as there are never any nicks/cuts, waxing is too painful, removal creme irritates my skin, epilator/plucking causes my eyes to water and occasional sneezing fits. Threading is my preferred removal method for fine hair, it is an oddly tolerable pain.
Recently I've become less bothered by the realities of the female body and have enjoyed warmer legs this winter :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 6:47 pm

That's really a difficult question from my standpoint.

I don't like ladies to experience pain from shaving, etc.

But I, in an aesthetic sense, prefer shaved legs (but not shaved anywhere else).

If I loved a lady who happens not to shave, I wouldn't even broach the subject.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 5:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's really a difficult question from my standpoint.
Lol, I bet it is... Ha, first attempt at a girly topic and the only reply is from a bloke, rofl. It's all a part of embracing my life without having to consider a man or nookie and noticing some of the benefits. :D Btw, shaving is painless aside from occasional cuts, other forms cause discomfort because they remove hair at the root.

ConcreteDinosaur
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2015, 5:54 am

Another random reply from bloke. Hair is good, and helps protect from STD's though, obviously not leg hair, that's little help! Have you ever noticed how people who say they the love the whole shaved look just love a good cliché.. I don't care either way i guess its a way of sending signals about differences between sexes, but if you really need such obvious signals to get turned on its a pretty simplistic outlook you got.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 6:45 am

I pick least of the evils. I've got an unfortunate combo of sensitive, ingrown-prone skin and sensory issues having body hair.

I've tried everything but waxing/sugaring and permanent removal. No prizes for guessing why.
I pluck my brows, shave my legs and pits trim my crotch and occasionally shave it.

I've tried plucking and threading my upper lip hair, but it always rashes and gets infected and hurts incredibly bad. I won't shave it so I just leave it. It's pretty fine. I'll pluck the darkest of my belly hairs but leave the rest because I got a bad cyst. I threaded it once, but the fine hairs broke off instead of ripping out. I tried threading my brows, but I don't have the patience to practice the control I need and I'm fine with tweezing.

I tried epilating my legs, but I never got higher than my ankles. Holy crap it hurt. I think the device was a crappy one. Nair left hairs behind. I have been having reactions to water recently so I've been skipping shaving my legs and I'm considering trying the DIY sugaring recipes I've seen online.

I've tried really hard to find a way to remove my pubic hair. It rubs my sensitive bits raw, but I haven't found anything my skin can handle. I tear up my skin trying to get a close shave and the regrowth pokes, assuming it gets through the skin. I've had half of the follicles ingrown before. I tried tweezing, but it's hard to reach and takes too long. Nair gave me chemical burns. Electric shaving went OK for a while. But some hairs wouldn't get close enough and would poke. It's amazing how one or two stabbing hairs hurt more than a whole batch of stubble. My razor was meant for legs and the head couldn't get into the folds. Eventually it died and I bought one for bikinis and it was crap. It eats skins and batteries. It does have a trimming and exfoliator attachment that's nice. I've got some Magic brand depilatory I've seen recommended. It's made for curly ethnic beards. I'm gonna try it this week.

I shave my pits whenever I shower. I tried Nair but no luck and tweezing there hurt more there than my labia if you can believe it. I will probably try to sugar that when I do my legs if I can stand to grow it long enough.

Wow that was long. 8O

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 2:06 pm

Hi ConcreteDinosaur, yes micro abrasions do increase the risk of STIs. This article sums it up nicely.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... op-shaving
Aesthetically its not a new phenomenon though, when you consider the female form in classical statues or even paleolithic art (e.g.The Venus of Willendorf)

metaldanielle wrote:
I tried epilating my legs, but I never got higher than my ankles. Holy crap it hurt.
Lol, I got as far as my ankles too, I consider epilators to be implements of torture.
A mid priced rechargeable lady razor is a worthwhile buy, but the blades become blunt over time, so its good to replace them. I did not know about sugaring, had to look it up, thanks for mentioning it. I wonder is it actually less painful than waxing though. I haven't tried to do threading on myself, I get someone else to do it. Also I have not had any reactions to facial bleach creme, but if your having reactions to water it might not suit your skin.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 6:05 am

I actually pluck my leg hair one by one with tweezers. I don't know anybody else who does that but it suits me. I don't have a lot of leg hair and it doesn't hurt when they're plucked. Women in my family don't have much body hair and I'm the only one with a few visible leg hair.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 9:09 am

I use an electric epilator or sugar paste on my legs and tweezers on the bikini area (outside pants). I shave my armpits every a few days and shave/trim the pubic hair (under pants) once a 1-2 months, when the hair there gets too long. But I hate it. Shaving may be easy but it leaves an itchy feeling for a few days.

I can't shave my legs because they get really itchy 1-2 days after shaving and after 3 days the leg hair requires shaving again. Epilating legs is less painful than the scratch wounds I cause myself( :lol: ) and I don't have to care about my legs for like 4 weeks. I wish I could use the same method on my other body parts. I used to epilate my armpits too when I was a teenager but it got too painful now, when I am an adult. And my pubic hair grow under skin if I epilate them so it won't work either. :(

pirrouline
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2015, 12:31 pm

I shaved my legs often when I was a teenager, but I was always miserable having bare legs anyway because I hate the sensation of my own legs touching each other, and irritating my skin with constant shaving made it even worse. I gave up and now I wear leggings or tights all year round, but I still quickly and imprecisely shave off my leg hair every couple of weeks, because it gets uncomfortable when it's long enough to be pulled by my clothing. (I do the same thing with my nether regions for the same reason - not the most attractive hair regimen, I'm sure, but nobody sees it, so whatever)

I like shaping my eyebrows with tweezers and thread (I can thread myself, yay!) because I love to wear interesting makeup and it looks more dramatic with shaped and filled-in eyebrows. I think it hurt when I first started, and I couldn't do more than a few hairs at a time, but it doesn't feel like anything much now :|

elysian1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2015, 1:15 pm

I absolutely despise excess body hair. I have head hair and sculpted eyebrows and that's it. Everything- and I do mean everything else- gets shaved. I think it is unfeminine for a woman to have unnecessary body hair. Arms, legs, privates, etc. just look and feel better to me when they are bare of hair. :heart: :skull:

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 9:18 pm

Amity wrote:
What works for you?
Or do believe that the natural look is the way to be?

For me a lady shaver works best as there are never any nicks/cuts, waxing is too painful, removal creme irritates my skin, epilator/plucking causes my eyes to water and occasional sneezing fits. Threading is my preferred removal method for fine hair, it is an oddly tolerable pain.
Recently I've become less bothered by the realities of the female body and have enjoyed warmer legs this winter :)

I have thick body hair, so I use a men's razor to shave my legs and armpits instead. Women's razors tend to give me more nicks, razor burn, and they seem to get dull faster.

I remember trying a test patch of Nair at 13, and it made my leg burn. It was even the sensitive formula! I actually found a better cream for hair removal that doesn't burn my skin. It's the Sally Hansen stuff that comes in a big tube with a brush on the end. It smells funny, but it works pretty well. I know it removed the hair when I feel like beards are tickling my legs. It says on the tube that you can rinse it off the in shower, but I have to use a wash cloth to rub the hair off.

Also, do any of you get ingrown hairs when you shave your armpits? I always seem to, and it's uncomfortable.

I'm also going with the natural look right now. ;) No ingrown hairs! Maybe we should just petition against female hair removal. I think that would be amazing.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2015, 10:06 pm

I have sensitive skin that is prone to ingrown hairs, so I only shave my legs. Everything else needing tended to is done so with an electric trimmer. Underarms are trimmed basically as close as you can without having a clean shave. I have very fine light blonde/red body hair, so I don't fuss over it too much.

y-pod wrote:
I actually pluck my leg hair one by one with tweezers.

Roughly how long does it take you to do it??

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 7:42 am

Logston wrote:

y-pod wrote:
I actually pluck my leg hair one by one with tweezers.

Roughly how long does it take you to do it??

A few minutes usually. Depends on how long I go without plucking. :) I only need to do the front part of my lower legs, as only those hairs are visible, and they're rather sparse. I'd guess I have about 30 pieces on each leg worth plucking. The rest of the hair are fine and nearly invisible.

SuperInferior
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2015, 9:11 am

Depends where I guess?
I avoid having sharp things in my house due to bouts of severe depression so if I remove hair it's normally with hair removal cream. Have a nice Milk bath, soya milk is good, it makes your skin super smooth after and apparently can help inhibit/slow down hair regrowth.

I'm folically challenged though, so have fine, baby hair. Normally I just bleach leg hairs and they don't look visible at all. My legs feel smooth even with those hairs so no partner has ever commented even though initially they thought it'd be strange.
I'm a bit of a hippy and don't like removing hair anyway, I remove armpit hair for shoots, and because they're such a pointless place to have hair (seriously, one of the warmest places and we grow tufts of hair there?!). I'd wx the armpits because it doesn't hurt, and it's fast. I get someone else to do it though.
My eyebrows I thread only because I have hardly any hairs and the few I do make me look like I'm frowning, so I try to shape them and people think I'm more well tempered as a result. lmao

In totally I've waxed about 4 times in my life, and used hair removal cream about 5 times.
I've threaded my eyebrows 2x. If a partner wants me to have smooth legs then they will have to get smooth legs too, their hairs are much more irritating to the skin than mine. But generally, I let others do what they want to their body and I'll do what I want to mine (which normally means I'm lazy with it). :)

I need your help to make a change!

AQ: 35 (8/10), SQ: 81, EQ: 12, FQ: 82,
RAADS-R: 179 (Language: 18, Social: 77, Sensory/Motor:49, Interests: 35)
Alexithymia: 167

Alexithymia forum: http://alexithymia.createaforum.com/

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 10:21 am

y-pod, Its weird, physically I can tolerate lots of different types of pain but I cant imagine being able to pluck my leg hair one by one with tweezers, the pain of that... yikes.

Kiriae, Is sugar paste less painful than waxing?

pirrouline wrote:
I like shaping my eyebrows with tweezers and thread
How long did it take you to learn how to thread properly? I would like to do this myself, but have experienced the broken hair result like MetalDanielle.

elysian1969 wrote:
I absolutely despise excess body hair.
Ok it doesn't look great, but I'm not very bothered by it currently. Its just my legs and they aren't that bad, or visible to anyone except me.

goofygoobers wrote:
Women's razors tend to give me more nicks, razor burn, and they seem to get dull faster.
I had the same experience until I started using Gillette Venus lady razors, I haven't had any cuts or skin irritation since. Ive never had ingrown hairs, that must be very uncomfortable in the armpits.

SuperInferior wrote:
If a partner wants me to have smooth legs then they will have to get smooth legs too, their hairs are much more irritating to the skin than mine
Lol, yes their leg hair is prickly and ticklishly irritating, much like a wool jumper is. Way-hey, another thing I don't miss :D

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2015, 11:14 am

Eyebrows- I use the wax strips that you cut to shape then soften with the heat of your hands. It's cheap, it works, and since it's really quick and easy. The pain only lasts a second, if that long. The biggest trick is to keep your skin taut while sticking it on and pulling it off. Removing it quickly helps as well. I prefer the Sally Hansen's ones.

Legs and armpits- I shave, at least in the summer. I use a Venus razor because it's the only one I've ever used that doesn't cut me. I tried leg wax strips, hoping they would work as well as eyebrow strips. They don't.

Genital area- I trim. The hair is there for a reason. Lots of reasons, actually. Even so, I don't want a jungle down there. I prefer an English garden instead. If I feel the need to swim or otherwise engage in water related activities, I can wear board shorts. If for whatever reason I ever feel the need to do a bikini shoot or something, I guess I'd use Nair. It probably won't give me too much cancer if I only use it once.