Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 6:06 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm very puzzled about the knife. Why would she need to carry a knife that big? A pocketknife would have been just as good or no knife at all.

CockneyRebel. I'm assuming the girl was attempting self harm with the knife and was probably the first thing she grabbed from the kitchen. She was also alleged to be running in and out of traffic hoping to be struck by a car.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 6:17 pm

It deeply disturbs me that trained marksmen aim for the heart and not to disable - eg shooting someone in the leg, arm or shoulder where the outcome is not likely to be fatal. It very deeply disturbs me, because it goes with a mindset that power entitles misuse of power.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 6:51 pm

B19 wrote:
It deeply disturbs me that trained marksmen aim for the heart and not to disable - eg shooting someone in the leg, arm or shoulder where the outcome is not likely to be fatal. It very deeply disturbs me, because it goes with a mindset that power entitles misuse of power.

I logged in to ask that question myself, thankfully somebody else sees the same point of view.

I also thought the UK has a lot less guns, so its not like the lady was concealed carry - that is to say she is a threat, but not a terrible threat, carrying that knife.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 6:53 pm

In the Daily Telegraph (Australia) Tony ­Attwood said: “My concern is that the police were dealing with somebody in meltdown. People with Asperger’s have difficulty reading social cues and ­social conditions, and they can be overwhelmed.” He conceded it could be difficult for police to identify ­Asperger’s syndrome.

It deeply disturbs me that trained marksmen aim for the heart and not to disable - eg shooting someone in the leg, arm or shoulder where the outcome is not likely to be fatal. It very deeply disturbs me, because it goes with a mindset that power entitles misuse of power. It doesn't, it never does.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 7:11 pm

Essentially, the shoot-to-kill in these situations amounts to summary executions. It tells us a lot about how people with mental disorders are viewed - and that justice for them is not a social concern - not for the media, police, politicians, nor the general public. The marksmen (at least in New Zealand) are never censured and some have been given ludicrous awards for bravery. The attitude is "too bad, just got rid of another bit of human rubbish".

If we want to consider ourselves as civilised people who live in civilised societies, we have to extend justice to the most vulnerable. The blindspot is a social hypocrisy that is deeply entrenched in our first world countries, New Zealand is no better, I am ashamed to say.

We are currently squawking about the murders of the defenceless overseas. We turn a blind eye when it happens in our back yard, and it is SHAMEFUL.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Feb 2015, 7:36 pm

There is no such thing as shooting to injure or maim, you are taught to shoot center mass and until the threat has stopped. Shooting somebody in the leg can very very easily lead to death with in minutes, you don't point or obviously fire a gun at somebody unless you are prepared to kill.

I'm not sure what happened with this lady, I really doubt it was AS causing her to misread the situation and it seems she would not stop advancing on the officers despite pepper spray and a taser who were apparently backing up into oncoming traffic. Given her age maybe she was misdiagnosed AS and was schizophrenic or maybe she was on drugs, maybe she was just trying to commit suicide by cop. It's a sad situation and I'm usually pretty tough on the police but the cop was put in a tough spot, they're not going to get into a struggle with somebody that has a knife and wasn't effected by pepper spray/taser.

Fane7545
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm

B19 wrote:
Essentially, the shoot-to-kill in these situations amounts to summary executions. It tells us a lot about how people with mental disorders are viewed - and that justice for them is not a social concern - not for the media, police, politicians, nor the general public. The marksmen (at least in New Zealand) are never censured and some have been given ludicrous awards for bravery. The attitude is "too bad, just got rid of another bit of human rubbish".

If we want to consider ourselves as civilised people who live in civilised societies, we have to extend justice to the most vulnerable. The blindspot is a social hypocrisy that is deeply entrenched in our first world countries, New Zealand is no better, I am ashamed to say.

We are currently squawking about the murders of the defenceless overseas. We turn a blind eye when it happens in our back yard, and it is SHAMEFUL.

Since shooting to wound seemed like it would be a common question and I started wondering about it, too, I looked it up and found some articles. Here's two:
http://www.pfoa.co.uk/110/shooting-to-wound
(this one describes dismemberment caused by gunshot, so if you can be sensitive sometimes like me...) http://bearingarms.com/professionals-dont-shoot-wound/

There were a bunch of other articles that came up on google that looked good, too.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 8:16 pm

Shooting someone in the leg/arm doesn't stop them, especially so when other non-lethal means are used too.

To stop someone, you're going to have to exert lethal force in most cases (whether it's lethal or not is beside the point). Body slamming someone is capable of lethal damage on concrete.

Skurvey wrote:
I don't know why their so scared of knives - 5 against one - a good whack with their whacking stick and the knife would be dropped - they wear body armour - and have good kicking boots.

Do an experiment. Have a women armed with a cardboard knife with some form of marker on the end, with her intention being to stab you to death. Try and wrestle it from her. I guarantee you'll suffer fatal wounds if she has even the slightest amount of knowledge on where to attack.

Sure, 3 people can body slam 1 person, but you're exposing at least one person other than the knife wielder to lethal injury, in addition to potentially causing lethal injury on the knife wielder anyway (head on pavement = dead).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 8:21 pm

B19 wrote:
In the Daily Telegraph (Australia) Tony ­Attwood said: “My concern is that the police were dealing with somebody in meltdown."

Which means nothing to the police.

A meltdown is just an extreme emotional event. Normal people experience them just the same (just not as frequently).

Besides, if she was known to suffer from meltdowns when in public, then where were her parents/carers? If you have an ASD, and this happens due to the ASD, you're probably not capable of going out in public by yourself.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 8:24 pm

no comment

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 8:37 pm

I have ASD and am quite capable of going out in public by myself. If I should have a meltdown, do I deserve to be shot FFS? There are many ways to disable people, let's brainstorm some here shall we?

First thing that sprang to mind: emergency responders could have and throw a large net rope cover (like gladiators). It's just to kick off this imaginative exercise. I don't accept that there are not better alternatives, I think there is a lack of will and a lack of imagination to find and implement them.

There must be better alternatives.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 9:04 pm

B19 wrote:
I have ASD and am quite capable of going out in public by myself. If I should have a meltdown, do I deserve to be shot FFS?

How not to get shot in this instance, 101:

-Don't wield a weapon in public
-drop it if you are when ordered to
-don't walk towards the police with it in hand when you're constantly ordered to stop and drop it

If you're incapable of following this, you probably shouldn't be out in public by yourself.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 9:08 pm

Sorry Dill, that's a bit too black and white for me.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 9:11 pm

B19 wrote:
Sorry Dill, that's a bit too black and white for me.

How so?

You find that it'd be too hard to follow such simple instructions?

It's really, really easy not to get shot by the police. And this is coming from someone who does carry an autism card to show them, and rarely goes in public by himself.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 9:14 pm

People in extreme mental distress/illness typically have a greatly impaired ability to make rational choices based on rational thinking. That is why the rest of us have to create safer systems for them, and for us. And any of us can potentially become one of them.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 11:25 pm

Dillogic wrote:
B19 wrote:
I have ASD and am quite capable of going out in public by myself. If I should have a meltdown, do I deserve to be shot FFS?

How not to get shot in this instance, 101:

-Don't wield a weapon in public
-drop it if you are when ordered to
-don't walk towards the police with it in hand when you're constantly ordered to stop and drop it

If you're incapable of following this, you probably shouldn't be out in public by yourself.

The girl is having a meltdown. How could she be expected to respond rationally to an order to drop her knife? Also, how is pepper spraying and tassering her going to make her behave more rationally? If someone pepper sprayed me or tassered me I don't think I would be behaving more rationally. Another point is, if you watch the video, the girl looked to be aged about 16 rather than her stated age of 22. How then does the girl appear to be such a threat to five police officers that one deems it necessary to shoot her dead? As an earlier poster stated, police are equipped with body amour, thick shoes and batons to protect themselves.