Three Muslims shot to death by a militant atheist at UNC

Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 11:14 pm

AspE wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

He didn't need to say it for it to be obvious, if he didn't hate religion he wouldn't have done an islamophobic hate crime, and if wasn't atheist he wouldn't have hated religion. And Islam is not the reason ISIS exists, even though they claim everything they do is in the name of Islam.

Nothing about atheism says that you should hate anyone of any religion. It doesn't even say you should hate religion. In fact it doesn't say much of anything, as it isn't a religion or an ideology. You don't get to blame lack of religion for a horrible crime, religion doesn't prevent crime. You can, however, blame a parking dispute.

And neither does being a theist.

"You can, however, blame a parking dispute."
Yup, the only reason he killed them was because of parking, I totally believe that and it's not just a load of hogwash certain atheists are gravitating towards to defend themselves.

AspE wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
That's not what I'm saying, it's in opposition to not believing in God. I'm saying this is proof it can go both ways. There definitely are atheists who claim that belief in God can drive people to violence, here is an example where NOT believing in God ultimately drove someone to violence.

No one says that. The claim is not that belief in God leads people to violence. The claim is that religious texts that instruct people to kill gays and blasphemers and do harm to people for all sorts of other reasons are explicitly to blame for these actions when people actually follow them. The Quran contains dozens of passages that condemn non-believers and other-believers in the most explicit terms, predicting all the tortures of hell that they "deserve" to suffer. The Bible does this too. A society that holds these texts up as a moral good, and an ideology of faith where these tenets cannot be questioned or even abandoned without severe social consequences, makes otherwise well-meaning people do evil.

No, there are definitely people who say it. They don't know what the hell they are talking about as they are the brand of incredibly ignorant athiests.

The Quran also explicitly states that violence should not be used to convert people and whatnot. There is another sura saying infidels, but in context it's referring to the infidels who were at war with the early muslims at the time and were trying to eliminate them, not infidels in general. Extremists argue that that sura overrides the previous one, but that is not the main, sensical interpretation.

"he Quran contains dozens of passages that condemn non-believers and other-believers in the most explicit terms, predicting all the tortures of hell that they "deserve" to suffer. " So what? That has nothing to do with actually being violent to people who don't believe. Anyway, it's not that people are punished for simply lacking faith, it's because either a. they aren't actually be punished, but because they lack faith, they are unable to go on the path that leads to salvation or b. they are rebelling against God and God is doing the natural retribution for those that rebel against him. The exact way it's interpretted depends on theology, but pretty much no one thinks disbelief in and of itself is immoral.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 11:47 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Yup, the only reason he killed them was because of parking, I totally believe that and it's not just a load of hogwash certain atheists are gravitating towards to defend themselves.

Do you have a single piece of evidence to support the conclusion that he hated muslims and that hatred was behind this crime? Or do you just take it on faith?

There is evidence that he was obsessive and confrontational about the parking spots.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 11:50 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Zajie wrote:
I hope I don't stereotype or something here but I think him being an athiest does play at least a small part maybe because there are athiests who don't have anything they stick to and no morals or rules or value for things and lack a peaceful relaxed un changing state of mind but some not all I guess because athiests have different beliefs from one another

And I do not see why people need fear of fire and brimestone for eternity upon death, should they deviate from the rules/beliefs is necessary for rules/values that can be useful or know some 'father' in the sky is watching their every move to judge where they will spend eternity.

I agree. And I don't understand how people can have any real ethics or internal morality if they make ethical decisions out of obedience to an external authority on pain of torture. If you believe in judgement and hell and you behave well only to avoid punishment, then you are not a moral person, as far as I can see.

I want to do good and not do evil because despite having no belief in a divinity who will hand out reward or punishment because I have a real system of ethics. I don't want to harm people or be harmed. I do want to improve things, if possible. I will try to help where I can. Because I believe these things are objectively good and intrinsically good, not because some peasant claimed to hear a message from god or the gods that told him these things were good.

The holy books of Judaism, Christianity and Islam enjoin followers to do terrible, evil things. The true believer must put aside any internal ethics and just obey god. That is amoral, not moral. If the God of Abraham had not stayed Avram's hand and allowed the sacrifice of Isaac, would that have been moral? It was moral to sacrifice Isaac right up until the command was countermanded, right? This is crazy and asks followers to be crazy.

That's a very naive idea of cosmic justice. The idea isn't that people should be threatened into being moral (though that certainly happens in practice, though I wouldn't consider that necessarily a bad thing as it's better for everyone if bad people don't do bad things), but that if the world is just, there will be justice for those where human justice failed. Would a just God allow the wicked to commit atrocities without retribution? Anyway, there is a passage in the New Testament where a man complains about being denied entrance into heaven despite keeping every commandment, to which Jesus replies "I never knew thee", the implication being that following the commandments so you can get into heaven doesn't make you righteous, the righteous love God and love their neighbor. That's what becoming like Jesus really means.

As for Abraham, that wasn't immoral precisely because God stopped him, actually sacrificing his son would have been immoral and God would have been immoral to not stop him, but he didn't actually want him to sacrifice his son, it was a test of loyalty. The idea is that not all decisions is the most moral decision obvious because we lack critical information on what will happen in the long run, but God knows. Of course, that's assuming it's actually God speaking, not a bastard posing as God...

Adamantium wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Do you have a single piece of evidence to support the conclusion that he hated muslims and that hatred was behind this crime? Or do you just take it on faith?

There is evidence that he was obsessive and confrontational about the parking spots.

Yes, there is, on his facebook there is plenty of evidence he hated religious people as he made comments about it all the time.

"There is evidence that he was obsessive and confrontational about the parking spots." And who the hell finds it acceptable to MURDER people over parking spots? To do such one must view the people as not deserving of life over his needing a parking spot. It's frankly ridiculous to the point of offensiveness you aren't even considering the possibility there is more the story than just a parking spot.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 1:11 am

Ganondox wrote:
Anyway, there is a passage in the New Testament where a man complains about being denied entrance into heaven despite keeping every commandment, to which Jesus replies "I never knew thee", the implication being that following the commandments so you can get into heaven doesn't make you righteous, the righteous love God and love their neighbor. That's what becoming like Jesus really means.

I think you are talking about Matthew 7:21-23 and it doesn't say what you think it says.

The "naive view of cosmic justice" we are discussing is not mine, but one that has been explained to me by Christians and Muslims.

Quote:
he idea is that not all decisions is the most moral decision obvious because we lack critical information on what will happen in the long run, but God knows. Of course, that's assuming it's actually God speaking, not a bastard posing as God...
That would be the all knowing, just God who commanded the annihilation of Amelek and resulting twisted justifications by Jewish and Christian believers today? Examples:
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_c ... de-FAQ.htm
http://christianthinktank.com/rbutcher1.html
Not sure I can swallow that!

Quote:
Yes, there is, on his facebook there is plenty of evidence he hated religious people as he made comments about it all the time.
Show me one.
"Of course I want religion to go away" doesn't qualify.
I couldn't find anything here: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/fivepoints ... nti-theism
Maybe you can?

Quote:
And who the hell finds it acceptable to MURDER people over parking spots?
No one. But is it possible that Craig Hicks was just an obsessive nut with a gun?
Quote:
To do such one must view the people as not deserving of life over his needing a parking spot.
I don't pretend to know what was going on in his mind, but you do. People have been shot over walking across someone's lawn. Armed obsessives kill people for irrational reasons all the time in this country.
Quote:
It's frankly ridiculous to the point of offensiveness you aren't even considering the possibility there is more the story than just a parking spot.
Now you are reading my mind! Did God tell you you have special powers that let you do that?
But you are mistaken. I am quite ready to believe that Hicks has other motivations. I just haven't seen any evidence to show that yet. Is it offensive not to jump to conclusions?

More about Hicks:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/the- ... king-spot/
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/04/us/ch ... rolina.htm

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 9:38 am

Ganondox wrote:

Correct. But few people are simply theists. They follow one religion or another, and religions often contain explicit instructions to be violent.

Ganondox wrote:

The Quran also explicitly states that violence should not be used to convert people and whatnot. There is another sura saying infidels, but in context it's referring to the infidels who were at war with the early muslims at the time and were trying to eliminate them, not infidels in general. Extremists argue that that sura overrides the previous one, but that is not the main, sensical interpretation.

Yes, but we are now in a time of war. Israel is killing Muslims in Palestine, and many western nations killed Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan. In wartime, even Mohammed severed the heads of infidels. The Quran allows opening of the gates of hell for those that oppose them in war. Note that even some Christians in the most tolerant country in the west, where they are a majority, think that there is a war against them (see: Bill O'Reilly). So really, you can imagine anything done against any Muslim person by a non-Muslim would seem proper justification for holy war against non-Muslims. It can be no surprise that a book full of descriptions of the torture of non-believers doesn't generate sentiments of good will with them.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 10:15 pm

AspE wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Correct. But few people are simply theists. They follow one religion or another, and religions often contain explicit instructions to be violent.

Ganondox wrote:

Yes, but we are now in a time of war. Israel is killing Muslims in Palestine, and many western nations killed Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan. In wartime, even Mohammed severed the heads of infidels. The Quran allows opening of the gates of hell for those that oppose them in war. Note that even some Christians in the most tolerant country in the west, where they are a majority, think that there is a war against them (see: Bill O'Reilly). So really, you can imagine anything done against any Muslim person by a non-Muslim would seem proper justification for holy war against non-Muslims. It can be no surprise that a book full of descriptions of the torture of non-believers doesn't generate sentiments of good will with them.

"They follow one religion or another, and religions often contain explicit instructions to be violent. " Yeah, in the context of some war where there is some enemy which is killing them, generally they explicitly tell people to be peaceful.

"Note that even some Christians in the most tolerant country in the west, where they are a majority, think that there is a war against them (see: Bill O'Reilly)." These people are loonies, as those who make up excuses for a holy war based on nothing. The context is when the infidels are literally trying to eradicate muslims, when there is already a literal war. People are looking for an excuse for war, it ultimately has nothing to do with religion, that just gives them an excuse. For example, the ISIS fighters want to restore the Caliphate, which has more to do with imperialism than actual islam.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 10:00 am

Ganondox wrote:
For example, the ISIS fighters want to restore the Caliphate, which has more to do with imperialism than actual islam.

What's the difference? Islam is itself an imperialist ideology.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2015, 2:28 am

AspE wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
For example, the ISIS fighters want to restore the Caliphate, which has more to do with imperialism than actual islam.

What's the difference? Islam is itself an imperialist ideology.

You know very well the difference between Islam and imperialism, and no, Islam is not an imperialist ideology. The confusion comes because Mohammad was both a civil and religious leader.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 4:22 pm

Ganondox wrote:

You know very well the difference between Islam and imperialism, and no, Islam is not an imperialist ideology. The confusion comes because Mohammad was both a civil and religious leader.

And Islam is both a religious and civil ideology.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 2:17 am

AspE wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

And Islam is both a religious and civil ideology.

No it is not. Sharia law is a civil ideology, but it is not islam.