Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Do You Ever Feel That You Are Not Alone?
I am on the Autistic Spectrum and I have sensed ghosts around me. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am on the Autistic Spectrum and I do not sense ghosts at all. 100%  100%  [ 6 ]
I am not on the Autistic Spectrum and I have sensed ghosts around me. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I am not on the Autistic Spectrum and I do not sense ghosts at all. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 9:45 am

Sandra Tsing Loh in today's "Loh-Down on Science" episode gives a short explaination of why people may feel a 'presence' when no one else is with them - it's all in their heads!

Article: http://www.lohdownonscience.org/podcast/brain-ghosts/

Sandra Tsing Loh wrote:
Why? It seems the delay confuses the brain areas controlling self-awareness and location. To the brain, a slight sensory offset feels like two locations. Since we can’t be in two locations, the brain interprets this as a second entity, close by.
It seems that when people are fatigued or have some sort of sensory issue that causes confusion in who and where a person is (Aspies, take note!), their brains will interpret that delay as being caused by someone else; but if there is no one else in the room, the person interprets this feeling as - you guessed it - ghosts!

This may also explain why many alleged ghost sighting seem to occur when people drink alcohol, take drugs, hyperventilate, or suffer from exhaustion and stress due to grief, sleep deprivation, or prolonged physical exertion - their brains are simply in no condition to process sensory information correctly.

So ... in a type of person already afflicted with sensory and/or perceptive issues, you might expect more 'sightings' of ghosts - a perfectly logical explanation!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2015, 9:54 am

No surprises there - the more you know about the Human brain, particularly with regards to how it interprets things the eyes "see", the more Ghost "sightings" are very easily explained. The same applies to Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster etc etc....

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 9:58 am

Fnord wrote:
Sandra Tsing Loh in today's "Loh-Down on Science" episode gives a short explaination of why people may feel a 'presence' when no one else is with them - it's all in their heads!

Article: http://www.lohdownonscience.org/podcast/brain-ghosts/
Sandra Tsing Loh wrote:
Why? It seems the delay confuses the brain areas controlling self-awareness and location. To the brain, a slight sensory offset feels like two locations. Since we can’t be in two locations, the brain interprets this as a second entity, close by.
It seems that when people are fatigued or have some sort of sensory issue that causes confusion in who and where a person is (Aspies, take note!), their brains will interpret that delay as being caused by someone else; but if there is no one else in the room, the person interprets this feeling as - you guessed it - ghosts!

This may also explain why many alleged ghost sighting seem to occur when people drink alcohol, take drugs, hyperventilate, or suffer from exhaustion and stress due to grief, sleep deprivation, or prolonged physical exertion - their brains are simply in no condition to process sensory information correctly.

So ... in a type of person already afflicted with sensory and/or perceptive issues, you might expect more 'sightings' of ghosts - a perfectly logical explanation!

This is very fascinating, Fnord. Combine this with infrasound and this could scientifically explain many haunted house phenomenon.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 10:32 am

Just wondering... Are there logical explanations for shared sightings?
For example if two (stressed/not intoxicated) people simultaneously see an old woman vanish through a closed door, is it similar to this "Neuroscientists in Switzerland were fascinated by mountain climbers’ reports. When exhausted, some climbers sense the presence of a ghostly companion."?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 10:41 am

Amity wrote:
Just wondering... Are there logical explanations for shared sightings? For example if two (stressed/not intoxicated) people simultaneously see an old woman vanish through a closed door, is it similar to this "Neuroscientists in Switzerland were fascinated by mountain climbers’ reports. When exhausted, some climbers sense the presence of a ghostly companion."?
I would be of the opinion that perhaps two or more people may have conspired to have a little fun by making up a ghost story to tell, just for the attention and excitement it would generate.

And if they could sell tickets to tour their 'haunted' home, so much the better!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2015, 11:20 am

Often the reason 2 (or more) people see the same "Ghost" would be that the seed of what they might see has already been subconsciously planted; it's not surprising that, for example, people creeping around a supposedly haunted graveyard at night after hearing local stories of a shadowy figure of a murdered Nun that wanders around, peering at passers-by from behind the gravestones sometimes report seeing the same thing.

They're already aware of it, and so if they glimpse something out of the corner of their eye their brain hurries to "fill in the blank" with something, and surprise surprise it would be what they really wanted to see. It's the same explanation for why people see the Loch Ness Monster; they go to Loch Ness with images in their head already, driving past countless pictures, models and talking about the Monster and they're looking for it; so when a piece of driftwood bobs on the Loch surface in the distance, the brain creates the image. The person legitimately thinks they have seen Nessie, and would pass a lie detector, but, obviously, they haven't.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 11:33 am

So a shared hallucination like this, stems from a subconscious seed.

Are you familiar with Derren Browne?
Derren Brown Investigates: The Ghosthunter
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... qAqMsIxtxd

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2015, 11:37 am

:D I love Derren Brown, and watch anything he makes, I find it fascinating; particularly because he destroys and explains so many superstitions, beliefs and "supernatural" nonsense.

That's exactly what I was referring to. I remember seeing that Derren Brown thing a few years back, and is what I had in mind when typing my post.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2015, 11:38 am

With what we know about the Human Brain these days, it can definitely be said that just because you saw it, it doesn't mean that it was there . . .

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 11:49 am

Yes, he is a sharp individual, his unexplained tricks are impossible to figure out and retain the element of mystery, yet he disproves so many questionable phenomenon. Ive often wondered about his abilities/personality.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2015, 11:50 am

Also, memories are not necessarily accurate images of what you actually saw. A memory is not like a photograph taken at the time of when your eyes saw the object in question. They are a recollection of the last time you thought about the image; a memory of a memory of a memory of a memory etc etc . . . and if just after seeing 'something', your brain interprets that branch waving in the wind, or that fox darting behind a bush as a Victorian Ghost-child holding a headless dolly, then that becomes your genuine recollection of that image every time you "remember" it.

If there is someone else with you, and they're getting all excited saying "Sh!t did you see that?! It looked like a Monk waving a severed leg!" unsurprisingly, it's not much of a leap for the brain to create that image

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2015, 11:55 am

Amity wrote:
Yes, he is a sharp individual, his unexplained tricks are impossible to figure out and retain the element of mystery, yet he disproves so many questionable phenomenon. Ive often wondered about his abilities/personality.

Same here; I find how he remembers things fascinating, especially the way he uses a hugely detailed visual record of an imaginary place, filled with objects that represent the different things he is trying to remember. I have wondered if he has some ASD traits . . .

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2015, 12:13 pm

badgerface wrote:
Same here; I find how he remembers things fascinating, especially the way he uses a hugely detailed visual record of an imaginary place, filled with objects that represent the different things he is trying to remember. I have wondered if he has some ASD traits . . .

After every show, I sit there thinking How? How does he do it! He has a strong ability to manipulate, and an astounding memory. I came to the conclusion one time that he must have magical abilities, a direct line to the devil or something completely unexplainable... :) but really I think his technique relies on meticulous planning.