Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

akama101092
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2015, 10:27 pm

I am a creative writing major. I mostly write fanfiction related to stuff I like. Yet that the literature class is so hard because no matter how hard I try to get everything inside my head, I still don't understand anything about it.

Most of my problems are ESL issues, syntax, grammar and more. Nor that I cannot understand metaphors, personification and anything that is too hard to understand when reading literature because I usually just brush the surface, and never really understand the deep meaning of all the stuff. That's why I always flunk my quizzes and essays.

I always fear that my grades would not be satisfied, and since I got an F for plagiarizing (you should say shame on me because this is my fault.) last semester. I keep having fear that I would not pass all of my literature classes without giving more extra effort and some tutoring support and any resources that my university have.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 10:57 pm

I don't know that everyone else gets it, some people are good at pretending. Your professor has office hours, and there's probably a writing center, since you're having trouble I think you're best off looking at this as a skill you need help learning. But you're not alone, that's what office hours and writing centers are for. Because a lot of students do need some help.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 7:28 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Perhaps it would be best if you took several courses in grammar and spelling.
Then you could start learning about creative writing.

Creative writing is about content and not form. While it certainly helps to be able to spell properly and have proper grammar, being able to argue a point is not contingent on them.

physicsnut42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2015, 5:16 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Perhaps it would be best if you took several courses in grammar and spelling.
Then you could start learning about creative writing.

Creative writing is about content and not form. While it certainly helps to be able to spell properly and have proper grammar, being able to argue a point is not contingent on them.

I agree. That's what editors are for, right?