A gripe about The Breakfast Club (1985)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

The Gift
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2015, 3:19 pm

I have kind of a love-hate relationship with The Breakfast Club. A major problem I have with it is that the characters are either deeply dysfunctional or so vile that I can't find any redeeming quality about them. It's also poisoned by the corrosive anti-authority cynicism. Aside from the disillusioned janitor Carl, all of the adults depicted in the film are petty, vindictive, cruel, and vulgar.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2015, 9:19 pm

The Gift wrote:
I have kind of a love-hate relationship with The Breakfast Club. A major problem I have with it is that the characters are either deeply dysfunctional or so vile that I can't find any redeeming quality about them. It's also poisoned by the corrosive anti-authority cynicism. Aside from the disillusioned janitor Carl, all of the adults depicted in the film are petty, vindictive, cruel, and vulgar.

“The Breakfast Club” was released several years after I graduated from high school. The first time I saw it, it was a painful reminder that I didn’t fit in with any of the “groups” in high school. Nowadays, I really enjoy the movie.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2015, 1:55 pm

I think the film focuses on caricatures to make it clear in what it is saying. Plus it is all from the point of view of the teenagers so the adults are obviously going to be shown in a negative light. I think the film is great and is probably the first real teen film.