Italian 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gangsta 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
Something else... 20%  20%  [ 49 ]
Total votes : 250

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 9:54 am

I speak Turkish, English, Japanese and Czech.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 10:02 am

English, et, Je parle Français un peu.

halfwave
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Dec 2018, 10:09 am

Hungarian is my native. I read about it difficult to learn Hungarian, but the main problem with an "alien" language is the understanding the basic how thinking that language. I think if You got it, then there is no obstacle for you. I learn english every day by myself from the internet. But i have problem with making conversation with others. And there isn't anybody who can help/play with me in english.
My english was a little bit better, but I forget because I don't use it enought and day after day.
I watch videos about my hobbies in english, less often in german, spanish and north european languages. I like listening to other languages. Of course, it is much easier to understand and retrieve the latin letter languages (for me).

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 6:34 pm

I grew up speaking English, minored in French, can get basic travel info in bahasa indonesia and Swedish, but the "foreign" language I use the most is Spanish, several times per week, with the great indulgence of the other side of the conversations. :D

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 1:05 pm

English fluently, minimal Vietnamese, and some Spanish learned from school

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 5:09 am

blazingstar wrote:
I grew up speaking English, minored in French, can get basic travel info in bahasa indonesia and Swedish, but the "foreign" language I use the most is Spanish, several times per week, with the great indulgence of the other side of the conversations. :D

Except in Sweden, you don't need to speak Swedish, English is a mandatory second language here.

I speak Swedish and English fluently. Know a few words in Español and Suomi. Have taken classes in Nihongo as well as Zhongou and know lots of Deutsche words since many are similar in Swedish (worked fine in Berlin), same with Danish and Norweigan which is 80% the same words and in general we can talk to each other in the nordics with little problems.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 7:27 am

Ichinin wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

Except in Sweden, you don't need to speak Swedish, English is a mandatory second language here.

I speak Swedish and English fluently. Know a few words in Español and Suomi. Have taken classes in Nihongo as well as Zhongou and know lots of Deutsche words since many are similar in Swedish (worked fine in Berlin), same with Danish and Norweigan which is 80% the same words and in general we can talk to each other in the nordics with little problems.

Whenever I travel to a country, I try to be able to speak at least the basic elements of the language as a sign of respect to that country. It also helps when traveling outside the bigger cities. Outside the larger cities, and when talking to the elder generation, it is handy to know some Swedish. I also have a Swedish daughter-in-law (her parents do not speak Swedish) and a Swedish grandson. :D

Can you post more about the less well known languages you mentioned?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 11:23 am

blazingstar wrote:
Can you post more about the less well known languages you mentioned?

Well Nihongo is Japanese and Zhongou is Chinese. I had a thing for asian women before and wanted to learn some basic words and phrases. Japanese course was filled for the year so i took Chinese (i also dated the teacher so #Bucketlist). I don't remember much of it, just stuff like: Ni hao, wo shi reidian-ren, wo shi hen gaoshin ("Hello, i'm Swedish and i'm tall").

I had some use for Japanese when i had a girl over from Japan, we didn't click but we talked some Japanese from time to time, mostly English since i only took a beginners course. I have tried learning more but i have less motivation now when i'm older.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 11:45 am

^^^ thanks for the explanations. Are these languages tonal? The Asian languages, not based on our alphabet, have always intimidated me. I did try Russian, did learn the alphabet and could sound out words, but got totally lost in the sentence structure.

I know what you mean about being tall. I am not all that tall, but I was a giant compared to the people of Indonesia when I visited there. Also in comparison with many Central Americans.

Funny, my interest in languages is growing as I get older. Or maybe it is just that I am getting better at some of them.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 8:50 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Well Nihongo is Japanese and Zhongou is Chinese.

I don’t mean to nitpick here :wink: but Zhongguo is China, as in the country. Zhongwen is Chinese, as in the language.

blazingstar wrote:
Are these languages tonal? The Asian languages, not based on our alphabet, have always intimidated me. I did try Russian, did learn the alphabet and could sound out words, but got totally lost in the sentence structure.

Chinese is tonal. Japanese is not tonal, but the grammar is quite difficult for foreigners, since there’s lots of social formalities and “respect” built into the grammar. At least that’s what I’ve been told.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 9:16 pm

My first language is Mandarin Chinese.

Started learning English when I went to school. Now this is my best language.

Took Spanish later on as foreign language. I would say I’m at an intermediate level. I can read my third language better than my first language though.

Tried learning German. I know some very basic words. I wish I knew more, because German sounds very beautiful.

Some basic Russian, mostly through some Russian TV shows and documentaries. The alphabet was the easy part. The grammar is insane. And verbs of motion? 8O But I think I’m starting to get the hang of noun inflections. At least my vocabulary is not limited to cyka blyat.

TazCrystal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2019, 5:12 pm

I can speak English fluently. I would love to learn Spanish so I can speak it fluently though.