Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2015, 10:18 am

Hi, guys. I love school, but I am struggling with something besides math. It's biology. I don't know anything about the subject, but when I read how life was produced, biology has become interesting. Before this semester, I haven't taken any biology classes since high school. So, any comments?

Bug.Z
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2015, 8:56 pm

I love biology. It's one of my three(!) Majors. I especially enjoy evolutionary biology.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 12:21 am

I love biology! I'm a senior studying genetics at University right now. If you need ever need help with bio, feel free to send me a PM because I'd gladly help.

slothbear
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2015, 11:53 pm

You sound just like me! I love reading articles on science, but I HATE science classes. I struggle with math as well.

Mpz5
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2015, 1:52 am

I am double majoring in Chemistry and Biology and about to finish my bachelor's degree. If I can not help you at this point, there is a problem.

What do you need help with? I'll try to help if I can.

I know what it feels like when concepts are explained in a typical manner and you have trouble translating it to your brain language (not sure how else I can say that, so I hope that it made sense to you), so I'll try to think of a few different ways to explain things that might help.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 10:48 am

I just barely passed bio 100 in university. However, afterwards, I decided I needed to learn more about biology (I learn better on my own than from a class). What really helped for me was finding documentaries on the internet that discuss biology (nature documentaries and medical documentaries). Inside Nature's Giants is one of the best, if you can handle watching animals get dissected. They pick an animal each episode and dissect and explain its anatomy, meanwhile going out and seeing the animal (or related species) alive to observe their behavior and how they use their physical adaptations. It's got a nice variety, too. A bit vertebrate-heavy, but they do have a giant squid, an insect, and even a tree at one point. And what they teach you in biology is vertebrate-heavy, too.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:43 pm

Biology...Oh man.

I can only assume you are a high schooler misrepresenting your age, but 9/10th greade biology was mad difficult . I need more practical tests and the like, but it is well worth your time studying

GTB
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jun 2018, 5:26 pm

I do bio too.

To anyone: what do you find most engaging about it?

What developments do you foresee, including in biotech?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jun 2018, 3:10 pm

I s#cked with biology in high-skewl but I'm dyslexic. I got the terms confused & mixed up on the tests. I bombed the discussion questions cuz I s#ck at explaining things by writing, & my brain has problems processing stuff I do see sometimes & remembering it so I failed all the diagram stuff where I had to label things. I did understand the basics of how the different things work together thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2018, 10:37 pm

For me, biology is hard because it's a whole lot of memorization. The teacher gives a lecture in class, may show an image here and there, and then you're expected to remember it.

I'm not good at remembering things, especially stuff with a whole lot of information, and especially with things i'm not particularly interested in.

I'll be happy if I even get a C in the class.

Floratro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jul 2018, 1:14 pm

I used to be in the same position. I'm more of a maths type of person, so biology has always been pretty challenging to me; it can all be a bit vague to me because it's so incredibly complex (with no way to break it down into simpler components) and there are many things which we simply can't explain yet. This is also what makes biology so fascinating to me though; a specific combination of very specific molecules makes up something as complex as a human (how do they even successfully replicate themselves?).
So up until earlier this year, I was pretty bad at biology (or at least, I got low marks). However, at some point I started getting good marks for biology, to my surprise. I think this is because I changed one thing in the way I study for this subject: I check all exercises I do in preparation for the test and write down what mistakes I make and how I could improve. It is a bit unbelievable to me, but I don't see any other way in which my marks could've improved.