Healthy Stomach Size? Healthy food intake?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

InfoPunkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 29 Oct 2014
Gender: None
Posts: 152
Location: Earth

19 Feb 2015, 7:39 pm

Hello everyone, thanks to a partner I've been losing weight but I've hit a wall and am unable to lose any more currently.

I'm not worried, but it is confusing and frustrating. This partner says that I should be able to have the recommended portion of anything and not be hungry, but I'm not sure about this, what size should a stomach (the actual organ) be? How little should one be able to eat without going hungry and without getting irritable or losing the ability to think as well as one could before?

I've noticed that the less I eat, the amount this partner recommends I eat, then I get more irritable, am not able to think as much (this scares me the most, my mind is what I care about most) and I just want to eat. Also, I've heard and read that "starving" oneself in order to reduce weight isn't a good idea because when you do eat "normally" again then you'll put the weight back on. Though to be honest I'm not sure if I'm starving myself when I attempt to eat what they recommend I do.

I've cut out a lot of crap and my portions down by a lot and I have lost a good amount of weight/fat, but I seem to be cycling around the same weights now, unable to go further.

I get very scared when I feel hungry because of my ability to think less, mainly, would this sort itself out or is it a warning sign I shouldn't ignore and if so how can I decrease my weight without going hungry?

I do also do exercise, cardio, an hour a day on a treadmill at 7.2km/h with a 5% incline.

I hope this is enough information, please let me know if you need any more.

Also, please be kind, I'm trying very hard with this but it is scary for me especially since this is the first time I've attempted something like this and there's a huge amount of information and experience I don't have and can't find on google.



sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 13 Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 486

19 Feb 2015, 8:18 pm

InfoPunkie wrote:
I'm not worried, but it is confusing and frustrating. This partner says that I should be able to have the recommended portion of anything and not be hungry, but I'm not sure about this,
Occasionally feeling hungry isn't always a bad/dangerous thing

InfoPunkie wrote:
what size should a stomach (the actual organ) be? How little should one be able to eat without going hungry and without getting irritable or losing the ability to think as well as one could before?
An answer to this is probably subjective

InfoPunkie wrote:
I've noticed that the less I eat, the amount this partner recommends I eat, then I get more irritable, am not able to think as much (this scares me the most, my mind is what I care about most)
There is a direct link between weight and depression - the less physical activity you do, the more likely you are to suffer from depression etc. If you want to have a healthy mind, science would strongly suggest keeping your body healthy is half the battle.

I'm sure everyone posting in the health/fitness section will agree with the following - when you're exhausted after hard exercise, how you're feeling emotionally doesn't even enter the mind!! It's normally a case of 'I just want to lie down'! !

Sometimes the best way to keep your mind in good shape is to do an activity where the 'self-reflection' part of the mind doesn't have the opportunity to say things like 'am I happy' etc


InfoPunkie wrote:
and I just want to eat.
This will probably sound harsh but it isn't meant to - work on your self-discipline.

InfoPunkie wrote:
Also, I've heard and read that "starving" oneself in order to reduce weight isn't a good idea because when you do eat "normally" again then you'll put the weight back on. Though to be honest I'm not sure if I'm starving myself when I attempt to eat what they recommend I do.
Starving and feeling occasional hunger pangs are very different.

You need to make a permanent change to your eating habits: don't eat well/exercise for a few months then go back to junk food - yes you will pile weight back on - what needs to change is your entire perspective to food etc. Yes, we humans have minds - but we are physical creatures in a physical body.

If you eat junk and don't exercise, statistically you're more likely to die younger. It could be argued that a bad diet and no exercise is a form of suicide (I'm exaggerating here to make a point).


InfoPunkie wrote:
I've cut out a lot of crap and my portions down by a lot and I have lost a good amount of weight/fat, but I seem to be cycling around the same weights now, unable to go further.
Look at something such as a BMI chart to see where your weight lies - this will give you a rough idea of whether you are still overweight, or average, or underweight.

In terms of portions - don't eat late at night - you won't burn the calories. I'd personally say try not to eat anything for at least 4 hours before you go to bed.

Eating well but at the wrong time can be a problem RE weight loss.


InfoPunkie wrote:
I get very scared when I feel hungry because of my ability to think less, mainly, would this sort itself out or is it a warning sign I shouldn't ignore and if so how can I decrease my weight without going hungry?
If you feel hungry at night (i.e. RE the above point on eating times), it won't make a difference if you can't concentrate as well, as you'll be going to your bed anyway.

have a decent breakfast.


InfoPunkie wrote:
I do also do exercise, cardio, an hour a day on a treadmill at 7.2km/h with a 5% incline.
1) Try running outside instead of on a treadmill
2) Vary your running schedule i.e.
a) Try days where you increase your cardio level (i.e. run faster), but for a shorter amount of time. This will develop your vo2 max
b) Try a longer run, but at a slightly slower pace



SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 316

21 Feb 2015, 8:40 am

I find the cardio approach weird. really think of it this way, increase your body's work load and your metabolism will crank up. (worked for me, and i just lift and move heavy things all day and do pushups on the side.) also stay away from simple carbohydrates like sugar and that mush-bread they sell at stores.