If only Hans didn't have the last name Aspergers.

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 12:22 am

No one has ever called me that name. Most people have no clue that I have Asperger's. Most people where I live don't even know what it is, heck even I didn't before I was diagnosed. And if I tell them I always pronounce it with the soft G. I'm an adult now and if other adults have the immaturity of 10-year-olds that's their problem and not mine.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 1:57 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
If only Hans didn't have the last name Aspergers, we woudn't get made fun of for sounding like ass burgers. Hey look there goes that ass burgers kid. If his full name was Hans Gildyrox, we would all be having Gildyrox syndrome.

Lol, I'm just glad it wasn't something worse, like "dikfrieze". In all seriousness though (and I apologize if this has been stated already), the name Asperger is mispronounced in america, the 'A' actually is supposed to sound like 'Ah', or 'Au' (like in 'Autism').

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 2:05 am

Auspergertism.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

green33
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2015, 4:23 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
If only Hans didn't have the last name Aspergers, we woudn't get made fun of for sounding like ass burgers. Hey look there goes that ass burgers kid. If his full name was Hans Gildyrox, we would all be having Gildyrox syndrome.

Having a disease called 'Aspergers' is still very f****d up.
Its a f****d up name for a disease, almost like the picked it to be bad on purpose.

oh well.

Jules_Bonnot_1912
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2015, 5:47 am

You could also say 'Kanner's Syndrome' .... Leo Kanner

Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 6:18 am

I've heard the joke "Ass burgers" so many times I'm not affected by it anymore, at least even if immature and ridiculous it makes people aware of what it is. But if it had a name that flows off the tongue easier, I wouldn't complain.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2015, 7:49 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Stop internalizing abelism. Just stop.

https://disabilityrightsbastard.wordpre ... d-ableism/

Hans trying to save Autistics from Nazi eugenics involved much more difficulty then overcoming a stigma created because Americans refuse to pronounce his name correctly.

It's hard to see any relevance between your post and the thread at large... Disliking the way Americans pronounce "Asperger's" has nothing to do with ableism, nor with the Holocaust.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 1:55 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Stop internalizing abelism. Just stop.

https://disabilityrightsbastard.wordpre ... d-ableism/

Hans trying to save Autistics from Nazi eugenics involved much more difficulty then overcoming a stigma created because Americans refuse to pronounce his name correctly.

It's hard to see any relevance between your post and the thread at large... Disliking the way Americans pronounce "Asperger's" has nothing to do with ableism, nor with the Holocaust.

Some people are having great difficulty here and in other threads with the same theme that have popped up over the years with the stigma created by the common mispronunciation in the USA. Of course the stigma created by mispronunciation does not resemble at all in difficulty with what Hans had to deal with with Nazi eugenics. That is my whole point to put the current stigma in perspective. All the I hate the name, based on mispronunciation is just wrong. This man should be honored not trashed over a wrong pronunciation or false stereotypes of the syndrome that used to be named for him.

While the internalization of this nonsense is not the victims fault at some point in time people need to fight back and overcome. Apparently we as a community are just not close to being ready for this at this time. Again no blame, it took me five plus decades to get to this point myself.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman