New parents group for young adults/adults forming

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Feb 2015, 10:58 pm

Hi all....

My name is Scott. I founded Greater Chattanooga Aspies, a program under the umbrella of the Chattanooga Autism Center in late 2010. Between then and until recently, the only program for adults has been GCA - a program for adults and young adults on the autism spectrum. However, the number of adults outweighed the young adults (which I think kinda scared them off).

A number of parents came up to me and wanted to know if a group existed for young adults on the spectrum. I didn't have enough people at the time interested in being a part of that, so that wasn't developed. However, I am at the point now where I have both enough parents (and their young adult children) that a parents group and group solely for young adults are being formed. The first meeting for both groups will take place in mid May this year in the CAC.

If you know of any parents who have young children/children on the autism spectrum, or young adults/adults on the spectrum and they live in the greater Chattanooga area, please have them send me an email to [email protected]. I will be sending out a survey to interested parents in mid March, which will help with the planning of the parents group.

Thanks for getting the word out to anyone you know who lives in the Chattanooga, TN USA area.

Scott - Founder/Director, Greater Chattanooga Aspies :D

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage