Girl gives me e-mail address but doesn't respond to e-mail

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 10:32 pm

Has someone you're interested in dating given you their contact information, but never respond once you try to contact them?

It's happened to me...again. On the first day of classes this semester, I managed to strike up an hour-long conversation with a pretty girl named Kalia at college, and at the end she gave me her e-mail address. A couple of days later, I sent her an e-mail asking if we could hang out sometime, along with a Facebook friend request (I was able to find her by typing her name into Facebook's search function). A month passed without Kalia responding to either message. I sent her a second e-mail asking if something had happened to her, and in the nine days that have passed since then, she still hasn't replied.

And to make matters worse, I haven't seen her in person at college ever since that first meeting.

Is this girl trying to avoid me? If so, why did she bother giving me her contact information if she didn't intend to ever reply to me? She could have told me she wasn't interested in giving me that information when I asked her for it the day we met. It's not like she had any reason to fear me (unless she's one of those women who's really paranoid about being raped, but I hope those aren't too common).

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2015, 11:08 pm

I have noticed at university that there's usually a handful of people who attend the first class or first few classes then decide it's not for them, and take off. They move on and it would make some sense that they might just move on from the whole thing, including anyone they met in the brief time they were there. Could be what happened here.

Also, some people do not know how to say no to requests for their number, email, etc. They will just give it out to prevent awkwardness in the moment. So it doesn't necessarily mean much that she gave you her info.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 12:03 am

I was gonna say that she is either avoiding you, or that she hasn't read her emails, but considering that you haven't seen her around lately, I would have to agree with Yellow, that she probably left the place.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 1:06 am

That's happened to me a few times. Giving someone your e-mail address is usually a nice way of fading away/rejection. It hurt like Hell the first time it happened to me.

When you bump into her she will ask, "What e-mails?"

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 4:33 pm

I think sometimes people give out contact information to be polite, but later wind up too busy and distracted.

I've never been rejected romantically in this way, but I was told to get in touch with two potential mentors, one of which I was personally introduced to and who told me I could send questions via e-mail, who wound up ignoring me. I even showed it to someone and asked if I came across as demanding or pushy, but was told I was perfectly respectful.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 5:10 pm

I've learned that ignoring/ghosting back is the most effective way to make them re-initiate their interest, and once they do - after them ghosting me for a while, I tell them politely to bug off.

But since there's no way you can interact with this person in real life, so forget it.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2015, 11:47 pm

either she doesn't check her email, or she did the equivalent of what back in the day was called giving out a fake phone number (or just not answering the phone).

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2015, 11:55 pm

ignore her. she is playing mind games with you

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Feb 2015, 1:54 am

This is slightly off-topic but What does it mean when a girl you don't talk to much tells you she wants you to call her & she gives a bad number & then ignores you :?: A girl did that to me in high-school.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 5:37 am

nick007 wrote:
This is slightly off-topic but What does it mean when a girl you don't talk to much tells you she wants you to call her & she gives a bad number & then ignores you :?: A girl did that to me in high-school.

It means a child playing jerk.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:24 am

congratzulations bro, you have been given the silent treatment. It happens to all of us at some point and i'm sure many of us have done it to other people. When a girl gives you the silent treatment, this usually means she thinks you like her and she doesn't have the same interests for you. So she stops talking to you all-together.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:44 am

BrandonSP wrote:
Has someone you're interested in dating given you their contact information, but never respond once you try to contact them?

It's happened to me...again. On the first day of classes this semester, I managed to strike up an hour-long conversation with a pretty girl named Kalia at college, and at the end she gave me her e-mail address. A couple of days later, I sent her an e-mail asking if we could hang out sometime, along with a Facebook friend request (I was able to find her by typing her name into Facebook's search function). A month passed without Kalia responding to either message. I sent her a second e-mail asking if something had happened to her, and in the nine days that have passed since then, she still hasn't replied.

And to make matters worse, I haven't seen her in person at college ever since that first meeting.

Is this girl trying to avoid me? If so, why did she bother giving me her contact information if she didn't intend to ever reply to me? She could have told me she wasn't interested in giving me that information when I asked her for it the day we met. It's not like she had any reason to fear me (unless she's one of those women who's really paranoid about being raped, but I hope those aren't too common).

If they don't respond to the first e-mail, then I normally follow it up with a second one. If they still don't respond then there's probably nothing more you can do, so it's best to leave it.

KayteeKay
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2015, 9:39 pm

BrandonSP wrote:

Yes, she's ignoring you -- as if she wanted to be in touch, she'd respond.

Why she gave you the info yet isn't interested when you contact her is fundamentally unknowable... you're certainly entitled to drive yourself mad trying to figure out why but doing so won't get you an answer either. Let. It. Go. It's better for your sanity.

(Really. Maybe she thought you were cute but subsequently changed her mind. Or got back together with an ex two days later. Or fell in love at first sight with some guy she met 10 min later. Or got hit by a meteorite. Seriously. You can't know, so let it go!).

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 9:51 pm

Yeah, put it in the past. If you ever do cross each other's paths again, maybe you will pick up where you left off.

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 11:00 am

I've decided to let it go.

There is another attractive girl at this college I see more often. I forgot her name, but the last time I said anything to her, I remember she told me she was Ivorian. Hopefully I'll make more time for a chat next time I see her.