Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BiffWellington
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2015, 10:17 pm

Do you have to love it (and just not like it) to be successful at it in the workplace? Like if someone asked Do you like programming?" One guy says "I like it, I like putting the puzzle together and finding out how to solve the problem. After taking a level 1 and 2 course of it at my community college I feel I am naturally good at it and I find it an enjoyable subject...I certainly wouldn't pursue it just for the money(especially if I didn't enjoy it). I think it could be a rewarding career." vs. "I love it! I could keep myself entertained from wake-up to sun-down writing code, it's something that I eagerly look forward to doing every day...I never thought about it as a career, I just tried it out of the spur of the moment and things just took off from there, I can just think up of something I want to code on a whim." To me, it sounds like an exaggeration to say "you must be a prodigy" to do this, or, " you have to be exceptionally great at math"...that I'm not so sure about. But I have a strong premonition that "love" is a pre-requisite for the successful employed programmer, is that notion exaggerated or is does the passion aspect have to be that extreme as I'm making it out to be for it to work?

Say both are thrown into job x (your generic entry-level programming job...could be for banking applications, could be for client-side interactivity); does the first guy (likes it, doesn't love it) run into a brick wall? I mean, is it enough to find the subject enjoyable and to easily pick it up to have a fulfilling career in it? Do you find that wannabe programmers who take a liking to it in an amateur (specifically academic) setting have a rude awakening when they're in their job..and they end up saying "what the hell was I thinking...this is not at all what I imagined, I suck at my job and I wasted 2 years on an associates in Java." Does this sound like something you have seen occur among friends and/or colleagues?

inthezoo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2015, 1:09 am

While we are all individuals, my general answer to your question is no, you do not have to love it to be successful. I have worked in I.T. my whole career, but not as a "professional" programmer/software developer. I loved it for a long time, now I do not. I am still successful albeit less motivated to work as hard as I used to.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 3:39 pm

Do you have to be a prodigy to excel in accounting, or sales, or interior designing? No. A love of something will always demand the pursuit of perfection. Love and talent decrease the amount of work you have to do to attain the same level of skill as those without love and talent. You may spend hours of fun researching and learning. I am apparently very good at customer service, but I do not "love" it, it is something that my job requires.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:32 pm

Some emotional distance between you and your work can be quite useful.

Often, you need to do what the customer wants, and keep quiet about how you think it should be done.

You may want to play with the latest software an innovations, but your employer may have other ideas of what you should be doing.