Need submissions for an awareness thing I'm doing

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 3:42 am

First, I'm not coming back and I'm only going to read this thread and my inbox but I had to come back to ask for some help with something. Ironic huh?

I'm going to do a small little thing to educate the general public about AS and high functioning autism and adults who are functional and contributing members of society. I'll go into more details later, but it's going to be a FB page that will come out in March for Autism Awareness month in April. That will give it time to be shared enough so that many people will see it in April when I start posting the information.

I want to profile one person per day of April. I want to give a short bio about their autism and then move on to what they have accomplished in life. It doesn't need to be something major. In fact, I'd like to show regular everyday people there. "Joe Blow is 35 and was diagnosed with AS in his teens. He works as a pipefitter and has a wife and two daughters. He lives in Maryland with his wife who is a nurse and their two girls who attend school. Joe is a member of the elks lodge and enjoys baseball. He and his wife plan on taking a trip to China one day" Then I could post some things that Joe said about how his AS impacts his life and what he's done to deal with that. He could also talk about what things he felt helped him the most and what he would like for others to know about people with autism.

I need 30 people to put up there. You don't have to be rich or very successful, you just need to be an ordinary, independent adult living your life. You don't have to be married or have kids or live in a house in the suburb. In fact, I'd like to profile all sorts of people. You can be a guy who lives in an apartment in NYC who delivers pizza and plays in a band, as long as you are independent and getting by.

The point of it will be to educate people that autistics aren't always just people in the group homes or living at home with their parents or getting SSI etc. So much attention is focused on children and when it's on adults it's eitehr on lower functioning adults or "heart warming" stories of autistic adults like the medium functioning guy who lives with his mother and volunteers for an animal shelter or the lady who can't speak or communicate in any way except typing but she writes amazing poetry etc. I want stories of adults with autism that go way beyond the heart warming variety.

The only requirements are that you have to use your real name, you need to let me post a photo or two, and you have to be professionally diagnosed.

I think it would be a good idea and maybe I could do it again next year, or I could keep the site up and profile more people over the year. I don't know.

Right now I need 30 people who are willing to be profiled. Answer in this thread please or in my inbox. I've gone over to AspiesCentral now, and I'm going to ask there too. I have the same username there.

I think this is a good idea because the public needs to be educated about adults on the spectrum who are contributing to society and who are independent.

Thoughts on this? Also who is willing to let me post about them on a FB page? Ideas for what to call the page? I need all that, this is a new idea and I don't have it fleshed out yet.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 12:22 am

Come on now, I thought for sure there would be more people on here who wanted to do this. I know of about ten right off the top of my head who would be great for this. Volunteer ya'll, come on!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 10:59 am

I've got plenty now. If I need more volunteers I'll post an update in this thread.