how do i get better at street fighter with ryu

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

elliot87
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2015, 3:46 am

So ive recently picked up ultra street fighter 4, it's a nice change from smash bros but man there is a big learning curve. I guess I'm against people who have played since they were kids at the arcade.

I can shoruken 70% of the time but it takes a bit of focus. I have trouble implementing shoruken because you have to be close.

So sparring the computer on training mode endlessly to familiarize myself with gameplay of ryu + opponent. Then I practiced getting the spacing right with ryu's weak punch without going into an elbow against a cpu

It's so haaaard

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 6:21 am

First of all, try not to over-think it. Though at the same time, SF is a technical fighter, perhaps to a fault, at least to me.

The good thing about it is that the actual movesets for the characters tend to be pretty simple in nature. As opposed to games like Guilty Gear or similar ones where the movesets can get downright weird.

The game doesnt have as much of a learning curve as it might seem, though it depends on games you've played before. Is SF your first 2D fighter that isnt Smash? Or have you been into others before this?

Secondly, what do you mean by having trouble using Shoryuken? Are you trying to use it as an attack when your opponent is on the ground? It's meant to be an anti-air; if you're using it in a different way, you're just asking to get a combo to the face.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 7:16 am

Well, I'm not even near an expert on fighting games but from my experience that "training" mode is there basically for you to memorize your moves and learn how they hit, range, speed and things like that, unless the game have those options to make your opponent act like a normal CPU (I mean make them move and I think that SFIV can do this).
First of all just try to make the basic attacks come naturally for you. You could aim to be able to easily perform Hadoukens (Down, Right, Punch), Shoryukens (Right, Down, Right, Punch) and Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (Down, Back, Kick) as a initial goal. When you are able to naturally make those special attacks you should be ok to do nicely against the CPU.
From there it will all comes down to practice. Learn when it's safe to use a Shoryuken as Misery said, what to use to start a combo, where on the screen will your attacks be able to hit your target and things like that.

elliot87
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2015, 9:07 pm

Misery wrote:
The game doesnt have as much of a learning curve as it might seem, though it depends on games you've played before. Is SF your first 2D fighter that isnt Smash? Or have you been into others before this?

apart from smash yeah it is

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 10:08 pm

Yeah, completely different types of games, then. The "2D" part is pretty much the only similarity.

Being as you're just getting started then, the difficulty you're having is pretty normal; I wouldnt expect that to change anytime soon. Stick with mostly fighting the CPU for awhile, I wouldnt dive into fights with other actual players yet. When you can start to beat the CPU pretty regularly, THEN it might be a good time to try your hand VS other players.

Dont worry about learning specific tactics or specific combos or any of that stuff. Just pick a character, learn the commands they have, and then just experiment.

elliot87
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2015, 11:25 pm

I get what your saying. Online will just make me rage quit :lol:

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:29 am

Yeah, pretty much.

It doesnt help that the fighting-game community is TERRIBLE. They'll insult you for being a "scrub". They'll insult you if you're NOT a "scrub". They'll insult you because you're not responding to their insults. They'll insult you because you exist. They'll insult you because THEY exist.

Seriously, only the moba genre is worse about this. When you DO go online, my suggestion is to auto-mute all opponents. Less likely to rage quit if you dont have to listen to their irritating jabbering. I'm glad Smash just plain doesnt have voice-chat when online against randoms to begin with. That was a good decision on their part.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 5:49 am

Using Ryu, his projectile attacks should be considered a provocation or pressure tactic. It can't be counted on to do the damage when you need it done, except as a combo finisher. Use it to make your opponent jump in with an attack or to pursue them when they move backwards.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:10 am

On the note of projectiles and such, expect people to SPAM THE FUNKY HELL OUTTA THEM.

It's one of the things that just bothers me so much about Capcom's fighting games in particular (and why I really dont like them very much, though I'll still play them).

Well, people will spam LOTS of things to death, but ranged attacks often seem the most common.