Out in Public Wearing an Indian Chief's Head Dress?

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ominous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 2:48 am

*unsubscribed

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 2:51 am

ominous wrote:

You're full of crap. I'm calling you out. Tell me more about your people.

I've already started a new tribe.. you can join if you like..

In fact.. I'm called MASTER CHIEF AGHOGDAY..

SERIOUSLY.. YOU CAN LOOK IT UP ON GOOGLE AND FIND IT RIGHT NOW..:)

http://katiemiafrederick.com/2014/12/25/master-chief-aghogday/

AND i've written millions of words about my tribe.. LITERALLY.. AND OVER A million people have viewed my ways.. per the link here..:

for evidence if ya like..

https://plus.google.com/+KateMia/posts

Kate Mia
19 followers|1,031,175 views

i go my own WAY and follow no other......

AND THAT'S WHAT THE most indigenous of folks do..

regardless of color.. ethnicity.. national origin or so called race..

There is only one race..

HUMAN BEING....

and that's my tribe... all the way...

INDIGENOUS STYLE.......

AND HELL.. NO I DON'T WEAR A HEADDRESS..

I GO FULLY NAKED....

WILD AND FREE FULL BORE.....

PERHAPS that's why I only have 19 followers.. AND ALL THOSE VIEWS.....;)

AND OH by the way.. my wife is American Indian AND PACIFIC ISLANDER.. per indigenous there.. AFTER.. all is said and done.. AMERICAN INDIANS ARE ACTUALLY INDIGENOUS ASIANS... PER that Bering Straight thingy..

We are all immigrants in the 'new world'.. and that's just a fact....:)

i guess that's my "Autism" talking huh.. but nah.. that's just an abstract label.. too....

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 3:11 am

ominous wrote:
aghogday wrote:
ominous wrote:
aghogday wrote:
AND MY GREAT GREAT grandmother is a Cherokee Princess..

:lmao:
http://www.nativetimes.com/index.php/li ... e-princess

NO sh** it's a figure of speech....

...that white people use who are part of the Wannabe Tribe.

http://blog.longreads.com/2014/08/04/wh ... -thin-air/

I have no desire to wannabe anything..

i

simply

am
Now
and that's all there is to IT.

NOW.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 3:15 am

CoffinCrawler wrote:
Cultural appropriation is an insulting trend. Considering we've taken pretty much everything from the indigenous people, including their land, to the point where only 5% of them remain within the world's population... the least we can do is leave them in peace with their own spiritual traditions.

Also, reading that wiki page someone posted above, it states that "the headdress should not be worn without the consent of the leader of the tribe(s)". Each feather on the bonnet needs to be earned. So please... don't.

If Native Americans wanted to reenact some European dances or customs, complete with the traditional costumes, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If that wanted to dress like that everyday, wouldn't bother me. And, keep in mind, if we are dressing like Native Americans instead of them dressing like everyone else, we are keeping their cultures and customs alive. Adopting their ways helps to preserve their culture. We don't all live in bubbles. We can and do influence each other and I would encourage people to learn about each others traditions and cultures instead of just sealing themselves off and being so negative and narrow minded about people different from themselves.

You see so many Native Americans wearing "white America's" clothing everyday and when someone on the other side, a white person, wants to kindly wear something of theirs, so everything isn't so lop sided, it is seen as an insult and like it was only done superficially by someone who has no business doing it.

Let's look at nuns, priests, Buddhist monks. If someone wanted to dress like one of them but wasn't officially would it be okay. Would people around them insist it cannot be? What would happen if someone dressed like the Pope but wasn't? There are all kinds of directions you can go in, people dressing to be something they are not.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 3:23 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
CoffinCrawler wrote:
Cultural appropriation is an insulting trend. Considering we've taken pretty much everything from the indigenous people, including their land, to the point where only 5% of them remain within the world's population... the least we can do is leave them in peace with their own spiritual traditions.

Also, reading that wiki page someone posted above, it states that "the headdress should not be worn without the consent of the leader of the tribe(s)". Each feather on the bonnet needs to be earned. So please... don't.

If Native Americans wanted to reenact some European dances or customs, complete with the traditional costumes, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If that wanted to dress like that everyday, wouldn't bother me. And, keep in mind, if we are dressing like Native Americans instead of them dressing like everyone else, we are keeping their cultures and customs alive. Adopting their ways helps to preserve their culture. We don't all live in bubbles. We can and do influence each other and I would encourage people to learn about each others traditions and cultures instead of just sealing themselves off and being so negative and narrow minded about people different from themselves.

You see so many Native Americans wearing "white America's" clothing everyday and when someone on the other side, a white person, wants to kindly wear something of theirs, so everything isn't so lop sided, it is seen as an insult and like it was only done superficially by someone who has no business doing it.

People who are afraid to be free.. in anyway.. are simply not free...

This country is free.. it is only individuals who build their own castles and PRISONS of NOT FREE.... WHO ARE NOT FREE...

WEAR the headdress.. photo it here.. and i will simply applaud what the 'true braves' do.. to be FREE....

PC IS NEVER FREE.......!

And that's just my opinion.. whatever another person wants to think.. they are entitled to it.. but the chances of changing my relative free will in a country THAT IS TRULY FREE AND LEGALLY SUPPORTS THAT freest way of life.. ARE SIMPLY NIHL..... i used to do PC all the dam time.. it almost killed me.. so I GAVE IT ALL UP.. AS WILD AND UNDOMESTICATED HUMAN ONCE AGAIN FREE!

IT JUST DOESN'T get more INDIAN THAN THAT.. PER INDIGENOUS undomesticated human WILD AND FREE spirit1!

And HELL YES.. I CAN PROVE THAT IN VIVID REDSKIN LIVING COLOR!..too..;)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 8:35 am

I think a lot of kids wear those on Halloween, no?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 9:24 am

Honestly, wearing a Mohawk headdress out in public sounds like a really, really bad idea. Unless you're actually a Mohawk chief, you may be accused of mocking them or simply being insensitive. I'm Metis, and I even have my card to prove it, but most people would have no idea I have native blood just by looking at me, so I don't wear any sort of clothing displaying "native pride" or anything like that, because I'm still white for the most part, I just happen to be a little bit native as well.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:59 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I think a lot of kids wear those on Halloween, no?

I used to go to Stuckey's on the way to Grandma's when I was a kid and buy one and I was a towhead so I did not look Indian at all. My mom would buy one for each of my two cousins, too, so I wouldn't have something they didn't. We played Cowboys and Indians with them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 4:02 pm

The stereotypical "Indian headdress", or "war bonnet", as pictured in the original post was only worn by the chiefs of one group of tribes: the Sioux aka "the Dakota", of the two states of that name. No other native Americans wore them.

So going into a random Indian Res (say that of the Choctaw) wearing a Sioux war bonnet would be like wandering around Germany wearing a replica of the crown worn by Britain's Queen Elizabeth (wearing the headdress of the chief of another of the continent's tribes). Not offensive. But kinda dumb and inane.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 4:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The stereotypical "Indian headdress", or "war bonnet", as pictured in the original post was only worn by the chiefs of one group of tribes: the Sioux aka "the Dakota", of the two states of that name. No other native Americans wore them.

So going into a random Indian Res (say that of the Choctaw) wearing a Sioux war bonnet would be like wandering around Germany wearing a replica of the crown worn by Britain's Queen Elizabeth (wearing the headdress of the chief of another of the continent's tribes). Not offensive. But kinda dumb and inane.

Natives around the US have adopted War Bonnets as part of their collective spirituality so they all feel offended when someone wears them in movies, for instance, when it's just a costume. Doesn't matter if the one who feels offended is Cherokee, Choctaw or Lakota. They feel mostly offended by the idea it's just a costume in some people's mind who do not know a thing about the culture or traditions of Lakotas. In that respect, it doesn't have much to do with a woman's fashion statement. In another sense, it is cool looking and young ladies might be attracted to such a bold headdress. It's not their fault Native Americans created something so beautiful and attractive. If it looked like a hijab rather than beautiful plumage, the dilemma wouldn't exist.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 5:14 pm

Soon most "white people" in the US will have Indian ancestery, because of the huge influx of Hispanic people.

Also, going to the Indian museum in DC , you will see white people with names like 'little bear" or "little foot" telling you about their Indian ancestery.

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 26 Feb 2015, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 5:15 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Natives around the US have adopted War Bonnets as part of their collective spirituality so they all feel offended when someone wears them in movies, for instance, when it's just a costume. Doesn't matter if the one who feels offended is Cherokee, Choctaw or Lakota. They feel mostly offended by the idea it's just a costume in some people's mind who do not know a thing about the culture or traditions of Lakotas. In that respect, it doesn't have much to do with a woman's fashion statement. In another sense, it is cool looking and young ladies might be attracted to such a bold headdress. It's not their fault Native Americans created something so beautiful and attractive. If it looked like a hijab rather than beautiful plumage, the dilemma wouldn't exist.

Actually yes, it has become a Pan-tribal symbol of all native americans.

So...dont do it! Be a White person wearing a war bonnet on an Indian Res.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 5:26 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Soon most "white people" in the US will have Indian ancestery, because of the huge influx of Hispanic people.

Also, going to the Indian museum in DC , you will see white people with names like 'little bear" or "little foot" telling you about their Indian ancestery.

It's not that easy because you have to have proof and many tribes are no longer accepting new members, meaning, your parents have to be members of the tribe for you to be accepted.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 5:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

If I had access to a War Bonnet, I would try it one time, in a place where no one knows me. However, I don't have one and don't know where to get one. It's not like you can buy them at Wal Mart Super Center.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 5:42 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

It's not that easy because you have to have proof and many tribes are no longer accepting new members, meaning, your parents have to be members of the tribe for you to be accepted.

My point is that soon it will be approporiate for most anyone to wear Indian items because they will have Indian ancestery. Soon 1/3 of America will be Hispanic. Looks like the majority of Americans will be part Indian in the near future.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 5:48 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

If I had access to a War Bonnet, I would try it one time, in a place where no one knows me. However, I don't have one and don't know where to get one. It's not like you can buy them at Wal Mart Super Center.

Doesn't every Walgreen's have them in the seasonal aisle just before Halloween?