Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:19 am

ok so i took this test online and it goes like there are two dolls named sally and anne, sally has a basket and anne has a box, anyways sally puts a marble in her basket then leaves and while shes away, anne moves it into the box. When Sally comes back, where will she check for the marble?

She checks it in the box duh cuz thats where it is. who woudnt know that anwser?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:36 am

Somebody would actually have to SEE Anne, in person, putting the marble into the box in order for someone to know that.

It is not even stated if that person actually saw the marble in Sally's basket.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:46 am

Um, you actually got the wrong answer, dude. She will check where she LEFT the marble, not where the marble IS. She was out of the room when the marble was moved, so she doesn't know where it is now.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 10:48 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
ok so i took this test online and it goes like there are two dolls named sally and anne, sally has a basket and anne has a box, anyways sally puts a marble in her basket then leaves and while shes away, anne moves it into the box. When Sally comes back, where will she check for the marble?

She checks it in the box duh cuz thats where it is. who woudnt know that anwser?
Someone whose Theory of Mind is poorly developed or non-existent.

For participants to pass this test, they must answer correctly by indicating that Sally believes that the marble is in her own basket. This answer is continuous with Sally's perspective, but not with the participant's own. If the participant cannot take an alternative perspective, they will indicate that Sally has cause to believe, as the participant does, that the marble has moved. Passing the test is thus seen as the manifestation of a participant understanding that Sally has her own beliefs that may not correlate with reality, which is the core requirement of Theory of Mind

The second place she'd look would likely be her own pocket.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:02 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:

But how did she know it got moved to the box if she wasn't there to see it being moved?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:18 am

I wonder why the OP thinks that Sally would check the box. Maybe there is a background to it, such as that Sally knows that Anne is a thief? Or maybe because there's no lid on the basket, it's very obvious that marbles are not in the basket and the box is the only likely place around where the marbles could be?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:25 am

jk1 wrote:
I wonder why the OP thinks that Sally would check the box. Maybe there is a background to it, such as that Sally knows that Anne is a thief? Or maybe because there's no lid on the basket, it's very obvious that marbles are not in the basket and the box is the only likely place around where the marbles could be?

The people who are presented with this test are not expected to imagine elaborate special circumstances about Sally and Anne. The test is meant to be intelligible to neurotypical pre-school aged children.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:42 am

its in the box duh why would she check in the basket if its clearly not in the basket? you guys are clearly wrong.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:43 am

Most people would check where they left it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:44 am

Sally can't know that Anne took the marble and put it in her box, if Sally wasn't present when it happened (unless Anne called her on her cell phone to inform her of the fact).

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 11:48 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
its in the box duh why would she check in the basket if its clearly not in the basket? you guys are clearly wrong.

It's not clear to her that it is not in the basket until she LOOKS IN THE BASKET. That is the first place she will look, because she left it right there.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 12:26 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:

Here's a set-up that actually happens and is the same in theory as the Sally Ann test.

You put your phone in your desk at home and then go to the bathroom. While you are in the bathroom, your roommate steals the phone from your desk and puts it in his own desk. You have no idea he did this. You didn't know he was a thief. When you get out of the bathroom, where do you look for your phone? Remember, you have no idea your roommate stole it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:06 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:

But how did she know it's in the box if she didn't see it get put there? Does she have some sort of magical powers to see through the walls to see what other people are doing in other rooms without her being there so she magically saw Anne move her marble to the box?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:21 pm

Hopefully, before looking in Anne's box, Sally will ask Anne if she took the marble. Otherwise, looking in Anne's box would be an invasion of privacy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:42 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally%E2%80%93Anne_test.

Autistic Adults I would assume would get the nuerotypical answer more often then children the test was design for due to numerous experiences with their assumptions being wrong. But 4 out of 20 Autistic children got the "NT" answer another proof Autism is a spectrum.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2015, 1:54 pm

Quote:
But how did she know it got moved to the box if she wasn't there to see it being moved?

She DOESN'T know. That is why she would look in the basket when she comes back, because she knows that was where she left the ball and wasn't expecting it to be moved to the box if she wasn't in the room to see it.

Let's hear it this way. I'm at work, and I put my bucket and mop in the downstairs cupboard while I go for my lunch, and while I'm in the staff room eating my lunch, a colleague of mine wants to use the downstairs cupboard and so moves my bucket and mop to the upstairs cupboard, without telling me. When I finish my lunch I will obviously go to the downstairs cupboard to get my bucket and mop, and would be surprised to see it isn't there. By then I might figure out that it might of been moved to the upstairs cupboard, but before opening the downstairs cupboard, I wouldn't have known that it has been moved without evidence, would I?

It's very easy logic.