Page 7 of 7 [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 10:10 am

thomas81 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
I suppose a Homeless White person is more priviledged than Ricki Lake!

Nobody is saying that but a homeless white person is at least less likely to be a victim of arbitrarilly heavy handed police violence than a black homeless person.

Said Thomas, providing no supporting evidence.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Mar 2015, 5:17 pm

adifferentname wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

"Privilege", when used in the context feminists are wont to, is an allegation of Kollektivschuld against the accused group and anyone arbitrarily lumped into it.

I disagree, and I can see how this would make you feel hostile towards privilege talk. I understand your perspective better now. I do agree with Magneto's earlier point that the term does seem to imply posh people with butlers and manor houses, and I think it looks at issues the wrong way.

The term implies guilt and liability, not posh people with butlers. It implies that all members of a group are complicit in the perpetration of an injustice, not that you are advantaged.

Really?

Some (dictionary) definitions of "privilege":

noun
1. a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most:
"the privileges of the very rich."
2. a special right, immunity, or exemption granted to persons in authority or office to free them from certain obligations or liabilities:
"the privilege of a senator to speak in Congress without danger of a libel suit."
3. a grant to an individual, corporation, etc., of a special right or immunity, under certain conditions.
4. the principle or condition of enjoying special rights or immunities.
5. any of the rights common to all citizens under a modern constitutional government:
"We enjoy the privileges of a free people."
6.an advantage or source of pleasure granted to a person:
"It's my privilege to be here."

None of that implies guilt, blame, liability or shame to me. It does apply benefits and advantages.

Certainly, in a casual context, if someone says "he's lived a privileged life", I think of manor houses, trust funds and private schools, not stomping on the skulls of the poor.

Quote:
It is a deliberate discrimination that is designed to disempower and dehumanise [I noticed the alliteration while proof-reading this and had a wtf moment.], not a useful tool for fighting oppression or helping the disadvantaged. That is the real world application of privilege, because - as you rightly say - it examines issues in entirely the wrong manner.

I strongly disagree with the idea that it is designed to disempower and dehumanise. I sometimes see it used to disempower, again, as a thought terminating cliché, but that's far from the only use and it doesn't remote the legitimacy of the concept, any more than utopian anarchists de-legitimise fears of an encroaching state.
Quote:
Quote:
As I understand it, the feminist (here used as a shorthand for a collective of ideologies which may not be concerned with gender or sex very much at all) concept of privilege is merely an acknowledgement that people experience life differently. If someone does not have mobility-related physical disabilities, they probably don't worry about short flights of stairs - that's their "able-bodied privilege". That isn't an attack on them for being able-bodied, just that they don't need to worry so much about their ability to physically access services.

Except we aren't talking about physical disabilities, because disability is not necessarily an accident of birth. Disability is not an arbitrary distinction, unlike race or gender. However, the same standard still applies to an extent. There is no reasonable grounds to argue that being born able-bodied is a "privilege".

Well, you've heavily implied that you feel discrimination on the grounds of race is justified...

Would your thoughts on the matter changed if people magically switched from using "privilege" to, say, "advantage"?
Quote:
Quote:
There are some people who might use it that way, particularly as a thought-terminating cliché, and they're wrong to do so, but I don't think that's how it is "supposed" to be used, or even how most people use it.

Most people, no. The overwhelming majority of feminists, absolutely.

Source?

Quote:
Quote:
An extreme example: happening to be a heterosexual able bodied Gentile in 1930s German was not a war crime, but there's no doubt that they were privileged.

It's interesting that you've chosen that example. The very notion of "white privilege" should ring alarm bells for anyone familiar with Mein Kampf. There's a very good reason that so many feminist detractors use the phrase "feminazis", though most are sensible enough to reserve it for the more extreme feminists.

I've never read Mein Kampf. I'm guessing it makes use of a term similar to "Jewish privilege", then?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Its use is a dehumanising attack on the individuality of anyone accused of having X privilege, where "X" is a broadly defined group such as 'white people' or 'men'. When your target happens to be someone with a neurological disorder, the suggestion that they are in any way "privileged" is especially inappropriate and insulting.

OK, first up, I'm not too keen on the idea that neurological disorders are so crippling as to remove any advantages of birth a person has! David Beckham has OCD; are his children completely lacking in privilege if they inherit it?

Is David Beckham a race, gender or culture? Is his privilege that he is white and male, or that he was born with the ability to strike a football with a precision that demonstrates an innate understanding of physics he most likely has no intellectual capacity to explain?

Well, firstly, and somewhat irrelevantly, footballing ability is mostly acquired through hard work.

Secondly, I was not talking about David Beckham himself, but rather his children. By any definition of "privilege", they're it, right? Two famous, wealthy parents, and with that, almost any advantage in life you'd care to mention. Now, let's say they have OCD - are they instantly no better off than homeless orphans in Zimbabwe?

Quote:
From this point onwards, it would be best if you assume that I'm more than passingly familiar with feminist doctrine, that I have examined it independently and drawn my conclusions based on the relevant merits and flaws and that my opinions are not informed in any way by 4chan, 8chan, reddit, tumblr or the Daily Mail.

I don't think that's a fair assumption to make...
Quote:
Quote:
but what you've hit on here is intersectionality and is a pretty trendy idea in the same circles that "privilege" is a trendy idea.

Just call them feminist circles, it saves time.

You persistently straw man and ad hom anyone who uses an arguably inaccurate phrase to save time. I think I'll pass, thanks.

Quote:
An autistic man has things tough, but an autistic woman is less likely to get diagnosed and more likely to live her life without that comfort.

Which autistic man? Which autistic woman? People are not statistics [/quote]
Oh, so now we can't use facts to support our arguments?

Quote:
Quote:
If she has a stereotypically black name, she's (even) less likely to get hired.

Names are not inherent properties we are born with. I've actually changed mine by deed poll in a bizarre twist of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Oh, well that changes everything.

I believe the point of the "name on the CV" studies are to show that many people are, consciously or otherwise, biased towards white people when they hire. I believe most jobs don't hire based on a pictureless CV, but require some sort of face-to-face meeting. If someone's prepared to reject Jamal Jones because of his name alone, is John Jones going to fare any better when he walks into the interview? I don't believe that's actually been studied (it would be much harder to control - what if one of your actors is slightly taller or more charming?), but, well, prima facie...

Again, it shouldn't be necessary for people to have to pay to change their name to get a job.

Quote:
Quote:
If she's homosexual, she might not be able to have a legally-recognised relationship and enjoy the benefits of marriage.

If she lives in Saudi Arabia, oh boy...

Let's keep this in the realms of Western society, where the majority of feminists are to be found and where they focus the majority of their ire. If you wish to argue whether Saudi Arabia would benefit from feminism, I've already mentioned my support for the first wave.

Saudi Arabia needs fourth wave feminism. It shouldn't settle for being like the West in the 1950s.

Is your lack of comment on gay marriage to be taken as acceptance that "straight privilege" (or "advantage", or "non-disadvantage", or whatever you like) exists?
Quote:
The point is, we don't have a simple, categorisable identity; all the facets of our identity blend together to create complex humans, who can be oppressed in a myriad of interacting ways.

No, that's my point, and that of many who have come before me. It predates the notion of "intersectionality" which is best described as "Oppression Top Trumps".[/quote]
If you think that, then you don't understand intersectionality.

Quote:
Quote:
My autism (or lack of NT privilege, if you will!) doesn't stop me from "enjoying" many of the benefits of being white, male, straight, cis, able bodied, and able to afford the necessities of life.

When you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism.

Well, quite.

Quote:
Quote:
I do agree that it is insulting and inappropriate to tell a starving, homeless man that he has "cis privilege", but he might be slightly better off than a pregnant trans man in the same situation.

Or he might be worse off still. You're still making the same elementary mistake in reasoning that results from this asinine approach to categorising human beings. It is completely worthless to compare two homeless people in terms of privilege or relative quality of life. Your hypothetical non-persons would both be equally deserving of our attention.

And nobody claimed otherwise. Assuming facts relating to safety and health are the same, their homelessness must be treated equally seriously. However, it would be totally inappropriate to give the cis man help with his pregnancy and gender dysphoria.

Quote:
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with being privileged, it isn't something to be ashamed or guilty about and people shouldn't act like it is. IMO everyone is entitled to all the privilege out there.

Nobody is arguing that privilege is itself something to be demonised. The problem lies with the misapplication of the word, especially in conjunction with racial or gendered groupings.

Agreed. However, I don't think adding "white" or "male" before "privilege" guarantees that it is misapplied. (There are some situations where "female" might also be an appropriate prefix, but I am struggling to think of one where "black" or "Asian" would apply in Britain).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In the words of Christina Sommers, "check your facts, not your privilege".

Yes, objective factual accuracy is more important than subjective perspective, but perhaps sometimes we don't realise
that things that appear obvious to us actually just a product of our upbringing?

All you've done is provide an example of why objective factual data is necessary to the discussion.
[/quote]
... and I've also more or less defined the phrase "check your privilege".

According to leaning-anti-feminist website "Know Your Meme", this was one of the first uses of the phrase on a feminist blog.

It is wrong when it is used to shout down people from privileged groups.

Quote:
I've never been stopped and searched by the police, only by private security. My instinctive reaction is to think that private security are too heavy handed, but the police are fine. If I asked an Asian living in London, they'd probably have a very different view.

Whereas I have been stopped and searched by the police, on tenuous grounds (you boys fit the description...) on more than one occasion. These subjective experiences prove nothing of value.[/quote]
I would use statistics...

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 7:35 pm

adifferentname wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

Nobody is saying that but a homeless white person is at least less likely to be a victim of arbitrarilly heavy handed police violence than a black homeless person.

All established phenomenon point to this.

There is an endemic mistrust against police within american black communities. There is a disproportionate bias of incarcerated american blacks in prison populations. There is a disproportionate over representation of whites within the police force itself and white police on black violence with no police being prosecuted is a recurring theme. I think you're being just a tad dishonest here or at best selectively ignorant if you are denying this.

My deviant art profile

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:15 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

"Privilege", when used in the context feminists are wont to, is an allegation of Kollektivschuld against the accused group and anyone arbitrarily lumped into it.

I disagree, and I can see how this would make you feel hostile towards privilege talk. I understand your perspective better now. I do agree with Magneto's earlier point that the term does seem to imply posh people with butlers and manor houses, and I think it looks at issues the wrong way.

The term implies guilt and liability, not posh people with butlers. It implies that all members of a group are complicit in the perpetration of an injustice, not that you are advantaged.

Really?

Some (dictionary) definitions of "privilege":

noun
1. a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most:
"the privileges of the very rich."
2. a special right, immunity, or exemption granted to persons in authority or office to free them from certain obligations or liabilities:
"the privilege of a senator to speak in Congress without danger of a libel suit."
3. a grant to an individual, corporation, etc., of a special right or immunity, under certain conditions.
4. the principle or condition of enjoying special rights or immunities.
5. any of the rights common to all citizens under a modern constitutional government:
"We enjoy the privileges of a free people."
6.an advantage or source of pleasure granted to a person:
"It's my privilege to be here."

None of that implies guilt, blame, liability or shame to me. It does apply benefits and advantages.

We were talking about privilege "when used in the context feminists are wont to". Divorced from from 'male', 'white', etc is how the rest of us use it. If you were paying attention, you would realise that I gave you an example of the misuse of English in feminist terminology, not a definition for a word - hence my use of "term" rather than "word".

Quote:
Certainly, in a casual context, if someone says "he's lived a privileged life", I think of manor houses, trust funds and private schools, not stomping on the skulls of the poor.

And that would be an example of your prejudice.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is a deliberate discrimination that is designed to disempower and dehumanise [I noticed the alliteration while proof-reading this and had a wtf moment.], not a useful tool for fighting oppression or helping the disadvantaged. That is the real world application of privilege, because - as you rightly say - it examines issues in entirely the wrong manner.

I strongly disagree with the idea that it is designed to disempower and dehumanise. I sometimes see it used to disempower, again, as a thought terminating cliché, but that's far from the only use and it doesn't remote the legitimacy of the concept, any more than utopian anarchists de-legitimise fears of an encroaching state.

The legitimacy of the concept is rendered null by its lack of value as a tool for positive change almost as much as the propensity of its use exactly as you describe. I've repeatedly seen the following justification for this usage:

"When someone tells you to check your privilege, they're not asking you to shut up, they're asking you to listen."

In practical terms, "listen" amounts to the same as "shut up". In practical terms, "listen" means "shut up, cis white male" purely on the grounds of gender and race.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As I understand it, the feminist (here used as a shorthand for a collective of ideologies which may not be concerned with gender or sex very much at all) concept of privilege is merely an acknowledgement that people experience life differently. If someone does not have mobility-related physical disabilities, they probably don't worry about short flights of stairs - that's their "able-bodied privilege". That isn't an attack on them for being able-bodied, just that they don't need to worry so much about their ability to physically access services.

Except we aren't talking about physical disabilities, because disability is not necessarily an accident of birth. Disability is not an arbitrary distinction, unlike race or gender. However, the same standard still applies to an extent. There is no reasonable grounds to argue that being born able-bodied is a "privilege".

Well, you've heavily implied that you feel discrimination on the grounds of race is justified...

If you've somehow gleaned that from what I said, the fault lies with yourself.

Quote:
Would your thoughts on the matter changed if people magically switched from using "privilege" to, say, "advantage"?

No, because the problem is not the meaning of the word "privilege" - a fact obviously lost on you considering your decision to paste the definition earlier. The problem lies in the coupling of privilege with generalisations such as "white" or "male". Why would replacing "white privilege" with "white advantage" change the context in any way?

Quote:
Quote:
There are some people who might use it that way, particularly as a thought-terminating cliché, and they're wrong to do so, but I don't think that's how it is "supposed" to be used, or even how most people use it.

Most people, no. The overwhelming majority of feminists, absolutely.

Source?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
An extreme example: happening to be a heterosexual able bodied Gentile in 1930s German was not a war crime, but there's no doubt that they were privileged.

It's interesting that you've chosen that example. The very notion of "white privilege" should ring alarm bells for anyone familiar with Mein Kampf. There's a very good reason that so many feminist detractors use the phrase "feminazis", though most are sensible enough to reserve it for the more extreme feminists.

I've never read Mein Kampf. I'm guessing it makes use of a term similar to "Jewish privilege", then?

I urge you to do so.

On a related note, consider this quote:

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

This is as refined a template for propaganda as you'll find, and it works just as well today as it did in Goering's day.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Its use is a dehumanising attack on the individuality of anyone accused of having X privilege, where "X" is a broadly defined group such as 'white people' or 'men'. When your target happens to be someone with a neurological disorder, the suggestion that they are in any way "privileged" is especially inappropriate and insulting.

OK, first up, I'm not too keen on the idea that neurological disorders are so crippling as to remove any advantages of birth a person has! David Beckham has OCD; are his children completely lacking in privilege if they inherit it?

Is David Beckham a race, gender or culture? Is his privilege that he is white and male, or that he was born with the ability to strike a football with a precision that demonstrates an innate understanding of physics he most likely has no intellectual capacity to explain?

Well, firstly, and somewhat irrelevantly, footballing ability is mostly acquired through hard work.

According to whom? Do you think Lionel Messi has worked any harder than Cambridge United's Josh Coulson? To excel in any sporting endeavour, one requires an innate natural ability. Self-confessed slacker, Ronnie O'Sullivan, is another perfect example of natural ability vs hard work.

Quote:
Secondly, I was not talking about David Beckham himself, but rather his children.

You were talking about both.

Quote:
By any definition of "privilege", they're it, right?

No, only by an appropriate and specific definition of "privilege". The one which is unique to them.

Quote:
Two famous, wealthy parents, and with that, almost any advantage in life you'd care to mention. Now, let's say they have OCD - are they instantly no better off than homeless orphans in Zimbabwe?

So your argument is that neurological disorders are trivialised if your parents are multi-millionaire superstars, except earlier you used the phrase "any advantages of birth a person has". Perhaps foolishly, I thought you meant "any advantages" rather than "the wealth, social relevance and societal admiration of the Beckhams". How remiss of me to assume intellectual honesty on your part.

Quote:
Quote:
From this point onwards, it would be best if you assume that I'm more than passingly familiar with feminist doctrine, that I have examined it independently and drawn my conclusions based on the relevant merits and flaws and that my opinions are not informed in any way by 4chan, 8chan, reddit, tumblr or the Daily Mail.

I don't think that's a fair assumption to make...
Quote:
Quote:
but what you've hit on here is intersectionality and is a pretty trendy idea in the same circles that "privilege" is a trendy idea.

Just call them feminist circles, it saves time.

You persistently straw man and ad hom anyone who uses an arguably inaccurate phrase to save time. I think I'll pass, thanks.

Provide examples of my persistent straw men and ad homs. Provide examples of non-feminist circles that use the phrase "cis white male privilege"

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
An autistic man has things tough, but an autistic woman is less likely to get diagnosed and more likely to live her life without that comfort.

Which autistic man? Which autistic woman? People are not statistics

Oh, so now we can't use facts to support our arguments?

When you ignore the fact that boys are more likely to be born with ASDs in the first place, your argument is factually flawed.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If she has a stereotypically black name, she's (even) less likely to get hired.

Names are not inherent properties we are born with. I've actually changed mine by deed poll in a bizarre twist of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Oh, well that changes everything.

I believe the point of the "name on the CV" studies are to show that many people are, consciously or otherwise, biased towards white people when they hire. I believe most jobs don't hire based on a pictureless CV, but require some sort of face-to-face meeting. If someone's prepared to reject Jamal Jones because of his name alone, is John Jones going to fare any better when he walks into the interview? I don't believe that's actually been studied (it would be much harder to control - what if one of your actors is slightly taller or more charming?), but, well, prima facie...

You've again missed the point. You've been distracted by the aside.

Quote:
Again, it shouldn't be necessary for people to have to pay to change their name to get a job.

No. And nobody is arguing that discrimination does not exist. That's not what we're discussing though. If Jamal and John are two separate entities, both with the same ethnic background, experience and qualifications, yet neither get the job, how has john's "nomen privilege" been demonstrated? How is it relevant or helpful in countering discrimination and disadvantage?

Quote:
Quote:
If she's homosexual, she might not be able to have a legally-recognised relationship and enjoy the benefits of marriage.

Quote:
If she lives in Saudi Arabia, oh boy...

Let's keep this in the realms of Western society, where the majority of feminists are to be found and where they focus the majority of their ire. If you wish to argue whether Saudi Arabia would benefit from feminism, I've already mentioned my support for the first wave.

Saudi Arabia needs fourth wave feminism. It shouldn't settle for being like the West in the 1950s.

It's called progress for a reason. One cannot simply skip the necessary steps and impose wholesale change.

Quote:
Is your lack of comment on gay marriage to be taken as acceptance that "straight privilege" (or "advantage", or "non-disadvantage", or whatever you like) exists?

No. The distinction is, again, geographical. It might interest you to know that straight couples are increasingly choosing to have civil partnerships rather than marriages in Holland - to the extent that heterosexual civil partnerships are more common than same-sex pertnerships. In the UK, same-sex couples have the right to civil marriage and civil union, whereas opposite-sex couples are only entitled to marriage.

This is one area where I'm on the same page as quite a lot of feminists. I'm ideologically opposed to the concept and history of marriage, and would like to see it replaced with, rather than augmented by, superior civil partnerships. The recent change to UK law that enables couples with civil unions to 'upgrade' to a marriage might be construed as progressive on the surface, but it's actually a win for traditionalism.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The point is, we don't have a simple, categorisable identity; all the facets of our identity blend together to create complex humans, who can be oppressed in a myriad of interacting ways.

No, that's my point, and that of many who have come before me. It predates the notion of "intersectionality" which is best described as "Oppression Top Trumps".

If you think that, then you don't understand intersectionality.

And "you don't understand" rears its head yet again.

Once again, you are insisting that understanding an ideological concept can only lead to one possible conclusion. It puts me in mind of Robin Williams' park bench speech in Good Will Hunting, and for good reason. What you don't understand, evidently, is the disconnect between the concepts of privilege and intersectionality and their real world application.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My autism (or lack of NT privilege, if you will!) doesn't stop me from "enjoying" many of the benefits of being white, male, straight, cis, able bodied, and able to afford the necessities of life.

When you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism.

Well, quite.

I sincerely hope that this was a case of you genuinely understanding my point.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do agree that it is insulting and inappropriate to tell a starving, homeless man that he has "cis privilege", but he might be slightly better off than a pregnant trans man in the same situation.

Or he might be worse off still. You're still making the same elementary mistake in reasoning that results from this asinine approach to categorising human beings. It is completely worthless to compare two homeless people in terms of privilege or relative quality of life. Your hypothetical non-persons would both be equally deserving of our attention.

And nobody claimed otherwise. Assuming facts relating to safety and health are the same, their homelessness must be treated equally seriously. However, it would be totally inappropriate to give the cis man help with his pregnancy and gender dysphoria.

Now you're assuming help is desired, let alone necessary. But that's beside the point. This remains another example of how "privilege" has failed to be a relevant factor in producing a beneficial result.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with being privileged, it isn't something to be ashamed or guilty about and people shouldn't act like it is. IMO everyone is entitled to all the privilege out there.

Nobody is arguing that privilege is itself something to be demonised. The problem lies with the misapplication of the word, especially in conjunction with racial or gendered groupings.

Agreed. However, I don't think adding "white" or "male" before "privilege" guarantees that it is misapplied.

You've already made this clear. You are yet to provide a compelling argument to support your position.

Quote:
(There are some situations where "female" might also be an appropriate prefix, but I am struggling to think of one where "black" or "Asian" would apply in Britain).

There are significant numbers of people in minority groups in the UK who consider it a privilege simply to live in Britain. I have the privilege of calling some of them friend or neighbour. These are appropriate uses of the word "privilege".

When it comes to blanket generalisations, the only appropriate use of "privilege" is when considering legal rights. The only disparities in British law are those which favour women over men - and the aforementioned one which favours homosexuals over heterosexuals.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In the words of Christina Sommers, "check your facts, not your privilege".

Yes, objective factual accuracy is more important than subjective perspective, but perhaps sometimes we don't realise
that things that appear obvious to us actually just a product of our upbringing?

All you've done is provide an example of why objective factual data is necessary to the discussion.

... and I've also more or less defined the phrase "check your privilege".

A definition that I do not accept as valid.

Quote:
According to leaning-anti-feminist website "Know Your Meme", this was one of the first uses of the phrase on a feminist blog.

What's your point? The point of the blog post seems to be that it's okay to consider a man an as*hole when he politely accedes to your wishes. After all, that was her conclusion.

Quote:
It is wrong when it is used to shout down people from privileged groups.

The very idea that you can place people into a "privileged group" is wrong on the grounds that it denies a person's individuality. Why do you have a problem understanding this?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've never been stopped and searched by the police, only by private security. My instinctive reaction is to think that private security are too heavy handed, but the police are fine. If I asked an Asian living in London, they'd probably have a very different view.

Whereas I have been stopped and searched by the police, on tenuous grounds (you boys fit the description...) on more than one occasion. These subjective experiences prove nothing of value.

I would use statistics...

And in the case of police activity, you would need to compare stop and search statistics to crime statistics to even begin to get a clear picture, one limited by perspective when divorced from historical and cultural factors.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:22 pm

thomas81 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

There is an endemic mistrust against police within american black communities. There is a disproportionate bias of incarcerated american blacks in prison populations. There is a disproportionate over representation of whites within the police force itself and white police on black violence with no police being prosecuted is a recurring theme. I think you're being just a tad dishonest here or at best selectively ignorant if you are denying this.

It was dishonest of me to point out that you provided no supporting evidence? You imply that my condemnation of your lack of evidence is "selective ignorance". Interesting conclusion.

You raise the point that black people don't trust the police, that black people are disproportionately represented in prison populations. How are either of these things evidence of "arbitrarily heavy handed police violence" disproportionately victimising homeless black people?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 12:19 am

adifferentname wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

It was dishonest of me to point out that you provided no supporting evidence? You imply that my condemnation of your lack of evidence is "selective ignorance". Interesting conclusion.

You raise the point that black people don't trust the police, that black people are disproportionately represented in prison populations. How are either of these things evidence of "arbitrarily heavy handed police violence" disproportionately victimising homeless black people?

If at this point you still cant accept the long established common knowledge that the US police is fundamentally anti minority, then the problem is your unwillingness to analyse information, not due to a lack of evidence on my part.

http://mic.com/articles/96452/one-troub ... problem-is

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... -black-men

http://www.bustle.com/articles/36096-do ... absolutely

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politi ... ly-war-its

http://gawker.com/unarmed-people-of-col ... 1666672349

My deviant art profile

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 12:41 am

thomas81 wrote:

There is an endemic mistrust against police within american black communities. There is a disproportionate bias of incarcerated american blacks in prison populations.

Watching 'Cops' on tv .. black police officers will say that Hispanic immigrants (probably Mexican/Central American) won't even look at a black officer or speak to one, because they are very racist towards black people.

Isn't the US going to become *more racist* as the US becomes more Mexican/Central American and less "white" ?

Hispanics are the majority group in several states, so is this "racism towards blacks by the majority Hispanics" happening ?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 2:57 am

thomas81 wrote:
If at this point you still cant accept the long established common knowledge that the US police is fundamentally anti minority, then the problem is your unwillingness to analyse information, not due to a lack of evidence on my part.

Based on the articles and your own hyperbole:

The US police are fundamentally anti-minority, yet white cops only shoot 96 black people a year.
Cops are almost ever brought up on charges, and so have ample opportunity to exercise their hatred yet the total death toll of black people shot by cops is 400 a year.
There are more than 750 thousand cops in the USA, but these hateful monsters only manage to kill a black man once a day.

I've analysed the information provided. If US police are fundamentally anti-minority, they're the worst supremacists in history.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 1:35 pm

thomas81 wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

A homeless white person is more likely to be jump and beaten up by a gang of black people in a black neighborhood than a homeless black person.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList