Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2015, 4:40 pm

This is driving me mad!

I have a server with Ubuntu 14.04 on it and a pc with exactly the same installation. I've installed samba and splashtop streamer on the server but can't access them. However when I did exactly the same installation on my pc it works perfectly. I've checked the ports on the server and they are open so now I just don't know what else to look for.
I've tried hooking the server up to the same router as my pc as well but it made no difference. I usually have the server hooked up to the switch which is connected to the lan.
Could someone please help me with this, it's driving me mad!

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2015, 10:01 am

Does it work when the server is on the switch? Is wifi involved at all or are all connections on a wire?

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2015, 2:24 pm

Thank you for answering!

It's all wired, I have a wifi router so I can use my samsung galaxy pad.
The server it's connected to lan through the switch. I tried connecting it to one of the ports on my wifi router but that didn't work. My Pc is connected through the wifi router but on lan and it all works on there. Don't know why I have hooked up to the router really I might as well hook it up to the switch. I just had a light bulb moment, I need to try and connect my pc to the switch to see if the switch is the problem 8O :?
I'll be back with the results.

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2015, 2:33 pm

Nope switch is not the problem. Just connected pc to switch and tried both windows and ubuntu and it all works perfectly. Slashtop that is.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2015, 6:39 pm

I'm going to brainstorm. Does the server have a firewall that could be the problem? Switches route based on MAC addresses and routers route based on IP address. If the pc works on the switch then the switch isn't the problem but if your server is usually connected to the switch, do you have its network settings configured differently from the pc? Does the server have a static IP address? Is it on the same network as the PC (not physically but IP-wise)? I feel like the answer is staring me in the face but I'm just not seeing it. Maybe my questions will trip a light bulb for you. Good luck!

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2015, 6:22 am

My thoughts exactly! I almost feel like there is some sort of on/off switch that I've forgotten.

The sever doesn't have a static ip but it has had the same one even after it's been turned of for a while so I didn't think it was necessary. They are not on the same network, I thought it would be easier that way for some reason. I do have the firewall manager installed but it looks fine to me. I'm not very proficient in network configuration though.
I haven't configured the network on either the server or the pc just taken a look at the addresses and the ports.
I have read a lot about it though since having this problem so I do feel a lot closer to understanding how it all works. I'm going to start by taking a look a closer how the ubuntu network is configured on my pc.
Thank you for brainstorming with me!

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2015, 3:34 pm

Woho! It's working now :D
I finally decided that there must have been something wrong with the original installation/cd/ file and reinstalled Ubuntu completely. I installed all my stuff and it's all working now :D
Oh, I used a new iso file and created a bootable usb this time.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2015, 5:16 pm

Glad it's working. I'm learning all about networking so I enjoyed thinking about the problem and trying to figure it out. I discovered what Splashtop is in the process, too. Looks pretty cool.

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm

I haven't been using it long but so far, yes it's very cool :D Splashtop that is.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 3:36 am

Maybe it could be a problem with your network drivers. What type of NIC does your server use?

EDIT: Never mind, it looks like you resolved your own problem. :) I was almost going to suggest compiling a custom kernel for your server, given my limited understanding of Linux drivers. I know that most drivers on Linux are loaded as kernel modules, but often for networking drivers, you have to use ndiswrapper, and I have no idea how that works.

Salome
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2015, 8:24 am

Still, thank you for taking the time to answer my question!
I really appreciate it :D