Best and Worst Jobs for Adults with Autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

brightmorning
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm

Hey everyone, I found this interesting article that lists 34 jobs they think are the best and 10 jobs that are the worst for adults with autism..

http://www.emaxhealth.com/11406/34-best-and-10-worst-jobs-adults-autism

I think the list is fairly accurate because I know on the worst list I've been a cashier, waitress, and a receptionist which would start off ok, but after a while I couldn't handle it anymore and quit. I'm currently a graphic designer which is a decent job, but I don't actually make enough to survive, so I'm trying to explore other options, preferably work-at-home ones. :|

So anyway, check out the article.. what do you think? Do you agree with their findings?

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 8:50 pm

Telemarketing belongs in the worst, not the best, along with other sales jobs.

brightmorning
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2015, 9:10 pm

ghoti wrote:

Oh yeah, I didn't catch that. I read it but it didn't click. I agree, telemarketing definitely belongs in the worst.. I worked at a telemarketing place once and managed to survive the training and then worked for about two weeks until I just couldn't do it anymore. It was I think the worst job ever.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 9:35 pm

ghoti wrote:

Yeah not sure where they got the bright idea, telemarketing would ever be good for people with autism in general...it does require social skills, phone skills and a certain amount of being able to tolerate rudeness without too much emotional turmoil since much of the time people just hang up on them or will go as far as meanly b*tching them out before hanging up. Not sure that sounds like something most people with autism are all that great at.

And with all the mathmatics kinda focused ones, thats really only helpful if you have a special interest in math or a math related thing or are some sort of math savant....not so much if you fail at math, and get stressed dealing with numbers/finances/paper work.

Featherflies
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2015, 2:19 pm

Other than fitting room attendant, which had its own problems because of where I was working but otherwise the monotony was kinda enjoyable, I've done cashier and fast food....my boss bribed me with a borders gift card to try and speed up on the line and had several "cut pizza slices in straight lines" workshop.

But on best jobs - all the ones I've ever seriously considered are on there. I've been torn between pursuing cartoonist or computer repair. But here they are both on the same list. I was seeing it as a right brain/left brain thing and trying to see if there was an imbalance that need correcting in me.
I mean I would rather focus on one but maybe I can figure out a balance. Or I should just pick one. Or self study computers and take free weekly life drawing classes. Yeaaah! Making decisions. 8)

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2015, 2:44 pm

ghoti wrote:

Also not sure about taxi driver being in "best" whilst taxi dispatcher is in "worst".
For some people it's possible that some on the "worst" list could be good choices.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ghoti wrote:

Yeah not sure where they got the bright idea, telemarketing would ever be good for people with autism in general...it does require social skills, phone skills and a certain amount of being able to tolerate rudeness without too much emotional turmoil since much of the time people just hang up on them or will go as far as meanly b*tching them out before hanging up. Not sure that sounds like something most people with autism are all that great at.

I was thinking much the same about bank teller, which is a customer facing role. Whereas cashiers and cooks need not be...

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 2:55 pm

I notice that auctioneer is on the worst list.

I would bet that a livestock auctioneer would be particularly tough.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 3:37 pm

I've worked as a cashier and in a deli, and they were both fairly grueling for me. The latter was worse because of my (at the time) untreated OCD, but the former was bad due to just how thinly I was being stretched. It's too bad it's hard to find a job where you're not a cashier or cook of some sort, when you have no qualifications. I guess there's a reason why they decided to put me on government assistance.

samanthacraft
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2015, 11:42 pm

Once again they skip over females and use language that isn't kind at times. Females with ASD typically gravitate towards helping professions such as teachers, working with children, and counselors.

emax10000
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2015, 11:46 pm

samanthacraft wrote:
Once again they skip over females and use language that isn't kind at times. Females with ASD typically gravitate towards helping professions such as teachers, working with children, and counselors.

I think that women with autism can certainly go into teaching but I think for those with autism, it still may not quite be as ideal as the jobs that were actually listed. I mean, I get why they would still like it but perhaps if they have the same symptoms as men do than the other jobs listed could still be better. The severe communication issues those on the ASD can have do mean that teaching poses extra challenges that a job that is done more in solitude would not pose.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 6:21 am

It's not a bad list. I work in the mechanical building trades and have had moderate success so I guess I lucked out (was my 2nd crack at a career though).

I would add lawyer and pretty much anything to do with sales/marketing to the worst jobs list.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 3:27 pm

mpe wrote:
ghoti wrote:

Also not sure about taxi driver being in "best" whilst taxi dispatcher is in "worst".
For some people it's possible that some on the "worst" list could be good choices.

Having been both taxi driver and taxi despatcher in my time I would agree. Hated the taxi driving but the despatching of taxis was an easy ride so to speak.
A bit surprised that truck driver is not on the list of the best.

Wouldn't consider market trader the worst either. Again, probably one of the better job experiences I had. Did help I had a stall related to my special interest which was minerals and fossils at the time.

Telemarketing is a living hell and definitly not the best. Bank teller would be the worst. I don't deal very well with hierarchies or bureaucracy and team spirit is an alien concept to me so I've always preferred small businesses over big companies to work for.

Kyte
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2015, 8:46 pm

I just accepted a position as a receptionist/cashier/Clerk at a state park. I have a feeling that it wont be a very good fit for me and im pretty nervous. However I do think that the park environment isnt a bad choice and am hoping I can stick with it long enough for a Field position to open up. I think that would be a good fit for me. :)

Morphius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Mar 2015, 2:28 pm

I have been employed all my life in the graphic arts field. My present job is in the basement by myself running an agency's print shop and also courier duties. I am hopeless at social conversation but take orders well and have strong work ethic. I very much like my isolation in my job. I'm almost 62 and have worked some real sweat shops, sometimes I worked two jobs or just long hours for one employer. My present job is my favorite job, I have never been out of work one day. All my high school peers have mostly ran circles around me as far as wealth. But I 'm still standing and have been lucky enough to save for retirement. I would think that loner jobs as mine would be the best fit. Truck driving, machinist, etc. Are a few examples.

Needs_Anonymity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2015, 9:38 pm

Cashier has got to be the worst. Especially fast food cashier. My first job and I'm not sure I've ever entirely gotten over it.