Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 6:55 pm

1. A person's framework/skeletal personality is set by genetics. Life experience/the environment provides the bricks. We are not preordained to a certain fate (the vast majority of the time) primarily because of genetics. Just like we are not "pre-destined" to a fate, despite what the Calvinists say.

2. Race is an arbitrary concept. People are not their skin color. That's a fact.

3. I'm sorry that some Asians feel discriminated against--but, overall, diversity is better than homogenization.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:00 pm

Narrator wrote:

Jessie Jackson wrote:
There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.... After all we have been through. Just to think we can't walk down our own streets, how humiliating.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
overall, diversity is better than homogenization.

Why?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:43 pm

Because that's what I think. It's my personal feeling.

I don't care about statistics. They will not sway my impression.

I feel better living in a diverse neighborhood than an homogenous neighborhood. I'm a Caucasian person who lives in an area which is becoming predominately East Indian and east Asian. Right now, Caucasians are in the minority in my area. I once left $10 lying around in my parking lot at 6 AM. When I got home at midnight, the $10 was still there.

If you get to know people of various ethnicities, you develop a more balanced view of people. I grew up in a mostly white and Jewish area as a child. I had some idiot notions about people who weren't white and Jewish--until I actually met people who weren't white and weren't Jewish.

I haven't travelled enough to really get a gauge of how the world "really is."

That's one of my ambitions in life, to get that gauge.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:44 pm

Orangez wrote:
Racism is ok and same with sexism if you have statistics to back up your claim.

Any racism or sexism claims you have statistics to back up???

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:46 pm

I think Orangez is pulling our chains, personally.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Because that's what I think. It's my personal feeling.

Feelings have reasons behind them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:55 pm

Because I feel more comfortable in the environments I described.

The reason: I feel like I could be more "myself." I feel like I don't have to worry about bringing somebody over within a homogenized area which does not welcome people of other ethnicities. I wouldn't have to have a fight with somebody who does not want me to bring this person over. I wouldn't want to experience the less overt, more underhanded things which would occur in an homogenized area, should I be "seen" with somebody who is not of that ethnicity.

I don't care about macrocosmic trends; I care about my immediate, microcosmic situation.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 10:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
3. I'm sorry that some Asians feel discriminated against--but, overall, diversity is better than homogenization.

You are contradicting yourself. Earlier racism was not OK, now it is OK.

In my area, they want to lower the percent of black people in Detroit, they call it "Diversity". However, the black groups are crying racism (Operation: De-Africanization) of the largest black city in the US.

Apparently, you would support such racism, because as your say "diversity is better than homogenization".

You would also support racial discrimination towards high-achieving Asian college applicants because "diversity is better than homogenization"?

How are you any better than any other racist ? You are OK with discrimination of people based on race.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 10:53 pm

You are twisting my words around to suit yourself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 11:22 pm

I don't support what you claim I support, based upon some of your "inner" logic.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 11:26 pm

Magneto wrote:
Doesn't everyone do that when another person enters the elevator?

People might move aside because they don't want to stand close to strangers, but it would be unusual to clutch a bag or purse more tightly for absolutely anyone who entered the elevator.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2015, 11:42 pm

pcuser wrote:
Orangez wrote:
Racism is ok and same with sexism if you have statistics to back up your claim.

Any racism or sexism claims you have statistics to back up???

Of course, many studies have shown that the way we typical view the sexes are true. For example, males brains tend to think better in the practical problem solving sense and females tend to do better social. If you have proof to back up your claims than there are some truth in your claims.

To clarify, i believe the difference due to races are due to social situations more than the colour of the skin. Where as the difference between females and males are due to the difference in the wiring of the brain.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 12:02 am

Orangez wrote:
Of course, many studies have shown that the way we typical view the sexes are true. For example, males brains tend to think better in the practical problem solving sense and females tend to do better social.

That's not what I've read. The books I've read indicate that men are better at abstract problem-solving, and womyn are better at solving practical problems, if I recall correctly. In fact, the practical vs. social dichotomy you've laid out here doesn't make sense, since social problems are practical problems.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 12:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't support what you claim I support, based upon some of your "inner" logic.

You seemed rather explicit that you were OK with racial discrimination against Asians to achieve diversity in college admissions. (note: I cited Asians because they are most racially discriminated in college admissions, whites are too, but to a lesser degree).

If I misunderstood, can you explain ?

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2015, 12:16 am

starkid wrote:
Orangez wrote:
Of course, many studies have shown that the way we typical view the sexes are true. For example, males brains tend to think better in the practical problem solving sense and females tend to do better social.

That's not what I've read. The books I've read indicate that men are better at abstract problem-solving, and womyn are better at solving practical problems, if I recall correctly. In fact, the practical vs. social dichotomy you've laid out here doesn't make sense, since social problems are practical problems.

Oops that is my fault for the misunderstanding. I agree with you that men are better at abstract problem- solving and women are better at practical problems. However, due to the way I obverse the world I usually define math and physics problem to be practical and social to be abstract.