Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 1:07 pm

I've read that anti-depressants can cause you to gain up to 100 pounds which would put me at 330 pounds. Can women be fashionable at that size? I'm assuming that I would be a size 26.

I feel like fashion is a bad hobby for me because I'm obsessed with measurements and sometimes I wish that I could just stick to playing video games and reading manga which are hobbies that actually make me happy instead of making me feel like I have to be an ideal woman.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 4:05 pm

You can look fashionable at any size. Even if weight gain is listed as a possible side effect of an anti depressant it doesn't guarantee that you will be effected in this way. If you are concerned though, you can plan a diet and exercise schedule to counteract this potential side effect.

Being the ideal woman is IMO overrated and driven by consumerism, striving for that goal adds pressures that you might be happier without. Maybe you could replace your interest in fashion with something similar, but less focused on measurements; collecting costume jewellery for example?

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 4:28 pm

Amity wrote:
You can look fashionable at any size. Even if weight gain is listed as a possible side effect of an anti depressant it doesn't guarantee that you will be effected in this way. If you are concerned though, you can plan a diet and exercise schedule to counteract this potential side effect.

Being the ideal woman is IMO overrated and driven by consumerism, striving for that goal adds pressures that you might be happier without. Maybe you could replace your interest in fashion with something similar, but less focused on measurements; collecting costume jewellery for example?

The problem is, what size would I be at 5'2 330 pounds? I'm assuming a 26, but part of me wonders if I'll even fit into a size 28/30 if that happens.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 5:07 pm

I don't know the answer to that, I think it depends on what body shape you have.
To give a guess, UK size 24-26.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 5:14 pm

Amity wrote:
I don't know the answer to that, I think it depends on what body shape you have.
To give a guess, UK size 24-26.

That sounds about right. I gain weight in my lower abdomen and I have a "spoon" body shape. A UK 24-26 is a size 24 in the US so I could still find cute clothes and not have to wear men's clothes. :D

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 6:00 am

You might not gain all that weight. Some anti-depressant don't cause weight gain at all. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Both my brother and I took olanzapine before, which tend to cause weight gain. He gained 20lbs, and I gained 5 lbs, which didn't affect clothes size much. He's currently taking something that doesn't cause weight gain.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 11:40 am

y-pod wrote:
You might not gain all that weight. Some anti-depressant don't cause weight gain at all. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Both my brother and I took olanzapine before, which tend to cause weight gain. He gained 20lbs, and I gained 5 lbs, which didn't affect clothes size much. He's currently taking something that doesn't cause weight gain.

I planned a diet, but my mom said that its ridiculous. I need to be a glamorous size 20 or I'm screwed because I just spent 700+ on new fashion items.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 6:57 pm

Why does your mother say a diet is ridiculous? Does she mean the whole idea of dieting of specifically your diet?
Maybe it's a good idea to tell the doctor prescribing the anti-depressants that not gaining weight is very important to you and that you would rather lose weight. A doctor should be able to help with that since they often have to help people adjust their diet for health reasons (like diabetes).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 9:38 am

You should briskly walk at least three times a week--walking at a pace of at least 3 miles per hour.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 12:57 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I've read that anti-depressants can cause you to gain up to 100 pounds which would put me at 330 pounds..

Your premise is false.
I assure you a weight gain of that magnitude would be extremely RARE.

Be yourself.
Do what makes you happy.
Love life and that will make you attractive.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 11:15 am

slave wrote:
I've read that anti-depressants can cause you to gain up to 100 pounds which would put me at 330 pounds..

Your premise is false.

Be yourself.
Do what makes you happy.

What's the maximum the average person would gain if 100 pounds is rare?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2015, 11:41 am

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=nav_cs_gb
Amazon is selling a very popular sewing machine for beginners at 75% off today.

If you could sew your own clothes you wouldn't have to worry about the sizes stocked by stores.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 12:50 am

slave wrote:

Your premise is false.

Be yourself.
Do what makes you happy.

What's the maximum the average person would gain if 100 pounds is rare?

varies with medication, metabolism, diet, behavioral choices, emotional stability, etc....

if a person goes on a med. and start to gain weight they can simply go off the med.....then return to previous weight.

NB: Do EXACTLY what your MD says.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 5:55 pm

Update: I'm going to talk about a possible antidepressant on Tuesday. My moodswings haven't gotten any better. My mom told me that my biological dad's family have imbalances with emotions or something like that.

Maybe I'm just naturally ugly thanks to that. Maybe I'm destined to be a fatty. I don't give a crap anymore.