Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 8:25 pm

I'm trying to think of a list of such things, where the normal version is ok, but the exaggerated version is not.

- political correctness
- feminism
- race/culture
- religion
- political ideology

What others can you think of?

Follow-up question: Do some extreme ideas highlight something sinister within the normal version of it?
Example: Does religious extremism highlight something sinister in normal religion?
Example: Does political extremism highlight something sinister within normal politics?

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 9:19 pm

First one I'd think of is competition - in a good centered and balanced way it's constructive, take it farther and the 'dog eats dog' starts to lead.

Anything sinister in it? Depends how we do it. If it's people who are already good at something or learning sharpening each others skills then no. If it's a thing where you're a failure in social darwinism if you're not competative or that men/women won't respect you for not competing enough - that gets iffy.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 11:09 pm

Too much of anything is too much.

George W. Bush even said that "you can go overboard with justice!".

I am not sure what an excess of justice would look like, but apparently its not a pretty sight ! :D