Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PC17
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2015, 10:42 pm

Hello everyone!

I initially joined WP a couple years ago, but didn't do anything more than lurk and read what was going on in the forum. There have been many times - the last 4-ish days now - that I have been caught up reading everything I could in it, and I've just adored and felt a certain... homecoming in reading what a lot of people here have to say.

I'm a 25 year old girl, and I am not diagnosed (living in Canada, and even the with rather open medical system, I'm too overwhelmed where to start without a family doctor), but a couple of years ago I learned that when I was just beginning primary school my pediatrician suggested my mom connect with a professional specializing in ASD, but my mom never followed through. In high school, my counsellor also mentioned me speaking to a professional to help me better understand myself - or something vague and flowery like that - but again, I wasn't allowed to see anyone who required parental consent to see. Then it just came up again about 2 years ago, when at community college, with a good friend at the time, who had been diagnosed with Aspergers commenting on me being, and surprised that I hadn't been.

Anyway, enough about other people. I have been researching this - everything from the DSM IV and V criteria, to any journal articles I can find, to blogs and forum posts - for about 2-3 years now, and there is just something about this that feels like home. There is just something about being able to relate to people who just don't "get" the apparent ease in which interacting with people is supposed to go with - the being able to read things like facial expressions and answer-length to interpret how a conversation is going. Or taking things too literally (my gentleman friends calls me "Miss Literal" almost daily when I don't seem to get certain things). Or hell, people who understand that it doesn't make you "weird" because when you get anxious you repeatedly connect every other finger with your thumb (sometimes in time with the syllables people are speaking). There is just something here I relate to, and something that just make sense with me and within myself.

I do get a little anxious and caught up when trying to reply to forums which usually keeps me from joining, but I do feel like I am at a place to officially dip my toe into WP, so just felt like saying a not-so-quick hello. :lol:

Last edited by PC17 on 08 Mar 2015, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 10:44 pm

Welcome, and feel free to wade on in. :)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 12:44 am

Good to meet you. Glad you made the leap from silence :)

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 1:01 am

Hey PC17 welcome. :sunny:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 8:34 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!