Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 1:18 am

hi everyone,
I am finding that I am getting sensory overloads more frequently and with greater severity. I've always gotten them more when i am tired or emotionally stressed, and the stress of trying to battle my insurance company to get ASD diagnosis and treatment is very frustrating, upsetting, and depressing. I feel like I get overwhelmed a LOT now, mostly when I go out, like to go shopping or commute on the subway to work. Sounds get very loud, smells become nauseating, I itch all over, the rocking motion of the subway train makes me queasy, and my muscles get so tense I ache. By the time i get to the office or home I feel like screaming and crying, and it is very difficult to concentrate on my work (I'm a web site programmer). To make matters worse, I work in an open layout office with several other people, and they are very distracting: talking, walking by, the smell of their lunches. Playing music on my headphones helps with the sounds a bit, but not with the other stuff.

I'm really feeling like i am losing it! I'm even having trouble eating because the food grosses me out. My psychiatrist was so unhelpful and unfriendly when i asked her to help me find someone who knows about ASD and can diagnose and treat me. Her response was, "We don't do labels here," as though they just have a one-size-fits-all treatment plan. The patronizing "royal we" really pissed me off too, like i'm some kind of kindergartner.

What can I do with the overloads? I can't always avoid the stimulus, and i've got to work to support myself and my spouse, who is disabled physically. I'm really feeling overwhelmed. :(

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 3:12 am

I know stress makes my sensory issues worse...and some people can never understand why a loud ipod tablet on some talk show is so freaking annoying. But yeah if I am stressed or something puts me on edge and I am feeling anxious I have a much lower tolerance for sensory input....but yet I do enjoy sensory things such as music and how it makes me feel and that awesome energy that storms bring, most people I do not think can feel it the way I do and I love the feeling such an abundence of energy.