Did you have to take speech rehabilitation?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2015, 1:42 am

When I grew up, I never knew I had ASD (since the DSM wouldn't even recognize it as a thing until I was 8). I was just the weird kid who loved video games and had speech problems. I would stutter a lot (still do but not as frequently), slur my words trying to talk too fast and I also had a lisp (which the other kids LOVED to point out). Because of this, I had to take speech classes from first grade all the way until my freshman year when I just stopped going because I was tired of disappearing from classes and having kids start rumors about it. That and I got to the point where I hated using a straw due to all the S practices I had to do with it.

Did anyone else have to go to speech class? If so, what were your difficulties and how long did you have to go for? I'd probably still be in speech class if I didn't stop.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 2:06 am

been going to speech therapy for 12 years and counting :(

it is for mostly stupid things nobody but the speech therapist will recognize such as "slight dentalization of the /s/ and /s/ sounds (the alveolar sibilants), as my native language is spanish and in that language, those sounds are produced with the tongue closer to the tip of the teeth, and that would 'paint' my english /s/ and /z/.

she'd prompt me every time a couple of taste buds stuck out, using a mirror to show me. when i was a lot younger i made sure to make a small scene with facepalming and such, refuse to say hi to her (even if she was good-looking) and when i did, once, she have me an almost condescendingly enthusiastic amount of praise. i don't do that anymore, really (ignore the therapists, i mean). it was stupid.

i don't even know WHAT my goals are now, probably intonation or something, it's focus is more on a social skills group nowadays instead of actual physical speech impediments.

i do have a slight stammer, when i haven't thought of what i mean to say. it's otherwise slightly slow. :P

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 2:34 am

I did in elementary school because I had a lisp. It was either two or three years. I don't remember exactly.
It's still somewhat apparent when I try to sing certain songs; don't know if that can be fixed.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 2:35 am

I had speech therapy starting in my first year of high school for stuttering, blocking and disorganised speech. Up until high school, I was mostly mute. I learned sign language in primary school and relied on that and writing for communication. In high school I wasn't allowed to sign and they pressured me to be verbal.
I disliked speech therapy. I hated having to be exposed to the sound of my own voice with all the drawn-out sounds and repetition. I have the typical, monotone "Deaf" voice which sounds like I always have a heavy cold. The therapy lasted for the two years I was in high school. My speech has been steadily improving with time. I have a lot of 'stock phrases' I can produce easily. Other times I can barely get a word out. Luckily, I can use sign language at work because I work with disabled people.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 2:49 am

I currently am doing speech therapy. I was nonverbal until age 8 and then mostly only monosyllabic. Plus I have apraxia of speech and selective mutism. I go to a special needs school, so it's not an unusual thing there. It's something I basically hate doing. There's been a couple of times I dropped out for a while.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm

Age 16-17 went to a student speech pathologist at a local university. Still mumble, when tired or not concentrating and as the people I am with age I am asked more to repeat myself.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 9:57 pm

I did in school when I was a lad.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 11:53 pm

I was born with too much extra muscle or tissue holding down my tongue, so at age 3 or 4 I had to have that clipped. Then went to speech therapy for a couple of years in elementary school because I couldn't make S and R sounds correctly. Got thru it ok and today I guess I talk as good as an Aspie can.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 2:53 pm

I had a speech impediment until I was 14, which was until about a year after my AS diagnosis. My speech impediment went away entirely on its own, even though many still see it as a reason to make fun of me.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 6:01 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Age 16-17 went to a student speech pathologist at a local university. Still mumble, when tired or not concentrating and as the people I am with age I am asked more to repeat myself.

also (still) mumble, and am asked to repeat myself around 2-even 3 times.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 6:06 pm

Used to stutter----never had rehabilitation, though----it just went away, on its own.....

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 6:30 pm

I went to speech throughout elementary school. When I got to middle school a woman I'd never seen before caught me in the hall and said she was a speech therapist, she was checking I don't think I needed speech anymore, did I? So I agreed with her that I didn't need it and that was it. No more speech. And less work for her.

I didn't like speech, but there are good ones out there as well as bad.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Mar 2015, 3:28 pm

I had it some because I had problems with the S, Z, SH, CH, TH sounds. I also have occasional problems with stuttering & sluring when I'm nervous because of a tremor disorder that can affect my voice & acts up when I'm nervous..

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition