Some guy wants to ban everything that is mind-altering

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 3:42 pm

jkrane wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
That guy's BS would never fly here. In Canada, we love our beer, and we love our coffee as well. If someone tried taking those things away from me, they'd have to take them from my cold, dead hands.

We like our weed too...lol. Cannabis use per capita in Canada is one of the highest, if not the highest in the developed world.

Here's hoping Trudeau keeps his promises to legalize it. Of course, if he over-regulates it and bans things like high THC strains or extracts, then I won't be nearly as impressed.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 7:12 am

jkrane wrote:
Mootoo wrote:
So... yeah. I'm just listening to radio 4 and this guy from the Home Office, who clearly is a proud Little Hitler (:-D), who literally declared that he wants, practically, everything banned. I mean, what in existence doesn't change the mind? He surely needs to annihilate all brains in existence if he has any chance of achieving this lofty goal, or the minds can become altered before any sort of legislation. Legislation against alteration of the mind.

Children will have a difficult time considering theirs changes so much more often than adults'...

Hitler was one of the biggest drug addicts of all time. His ill health and insatiable appetite for methamphetamine, administered by his doctor (who he called his best friend), was what lost him the war. Even some of his top SS buddies thought the doctor was a plant by the allied forces to try and kill Hitler.

Cocaine too.

http://www.historyextra.com/feature/sec ... ok-cocaine

https://www.rt.com/news/314902-hitler-d ... tion-book/

Hitler f-ing LOVED drugs.

The guy you're thinking about sounds like that murderous psycho Rodrigo Dutuerte

yeah, hitler really wasn't the teatotaller people like to portray him as... imagine his last days in the bunker: he's losing a world war AND coming off drugs.
he also basically srugged the whole army. the blitzkrieg was a basically "invasion on meth". days and nights of advancing through france without rest - .... much like today's army-pilots get drugged up on ritalin. not that different from meth.

anyway. a drug-free society would be an interesting experiment, as drugs have always allowed temporary transgression of social norms. even the stiff germans in munich get hammered on oktoberfest and grope women and... it's like it's permitted to do that there. I wonder if a society could function without ritualised excess like this, after which you have a hangover and don't feel like doing that again for a while.
even huxley's brave new world had its soma.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 7:18 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
jkrane wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
That guy's BS would never fly here. In Canada, we love our beer, and we love our coffee as well. If someone tried taking those things away from me, they'd have to take them from my cold, dead hands.

We like our weed too...lol. Cannabis use per capita in Canada is one of the highest, if not the highest in the developed world.

Here's hoping Trudeau keeps his promises to legalize it. Of course, if he over-regulates it and bans things like high THC strains or extracts, then I won't be nearly as impressed.

according to science, high THC strains are the cause for all of cannabis' side effects, like psychosis and addiction. to be precise, it's an excessive level of THC in relation to cannabinoids.
so... banning high THC strains would be not that bad, however, a minimum ratio of cannabinoids to thc would actually be the right thing.

here's a lecture on this from the UCL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FuwgMwJTu4

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 9:09 am

shlaifu wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
jkrane wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

according to science, high THC strains are the cause for all of cannabis' side effects, like psychosis and addiction. to be precise, it's an excessive level of THC in relation to cannabinoids.
so... banning high THC strains would be not that bad, however, a minimum ratio of cannabinoids to thc would actually be the right thing.

I don't see the point of banning any psychoactive drugs, no matter how nasty they may be. All it does is create an underground market for them, which leads to things like violence and crime. The whole drug prohibition movement has caused far more damage than it has solved. Usage of psychoactive drugs should be treated as a personal choice that one is responsible for. People are going to use drugs anyway, so you may as well keep criminals from profiting off of it.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 9:18 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
jkrane wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I don't see the point of banning any psychoactive drugs, no matter how nasty they may be. All it does is create an underground market for them, which leads to things like violence and crime. The whole drug prohibition movement has caused far more damage than it has solved. Usage of psychoactive drugs should be treated as a personal choice that one is responsible for. People are going to use drugs anyway, so you may as well keep criminals from profiting off of it.

in theory, I agree, practically, I think the consequences of one's actions are often poorly assessed by the individual.
so, I have problems with highly addictive drugs like opiates....

but what's wrong with legalizing a wide range of reasonably dangerous drugs, so you can choose- which should be enough for the majority....

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 9:49 am

In a scenario where opiates were legal and easily accessible, it would ultimately be the user's fault for not doing their research before becoming addicted to them. I mean, if they're smart enough to seek help afterwards, power to them, but even still.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:17 pm

yeah, but there's a whole lot of people who we don't consider responsible enough for themselves to do things like drive or if they're even younger, they're not even responsible for the damage they do. ... so... there needs to be some serious education, but still... humans are animals that follow the herd, esp. teens. and it might be cool to start doing h...
( I started smoking because my first girlfriend did... I wasn't the most responsible kid. If I had had access to heroin, who knows, I might have tried... today I regret having ever started smoking....)

and that's sort of why I theoretically agree: if age-restriction worked perfectly and people were perfectly informed and not victims of fashions and advertising, then full legalization would be the right thing. but I just see sooo many practical issues...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:24 pm

Mootoo wrote:
So... yeah. I'm just listening to radio 4 and this guy from the Home Office, who clearly is a proud Little Hitler (:-D), who literally declared that he wants, practically, everything banned. I mean, what in existence doesn't change the mind? He surely needs to annihilate all brains in existence if he has any chance of achieving this lofty goal, or the minds can become altered before any sort of legislation. Legislation against alteration of the mind.

Children will have a difficult time considering theirs changes so much more often than adults'...

Good luck with that considering humans have been using mind altering things for thousands of years.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:26 pm

Janissy wrote:
Fnord wrote:
They may take my coffee away from me when they can pry the cup out of my cold, dead hand.

My thoughts exactly. Coffee is mind altering (it alters my mind from asleep to awake) and I will fight to keep it.

I need my caffeine in the morning or I'm like a grumpy and lethargic troll that just grunts and growls at being awake, however its not always in the form of coffee I quite like tea as well.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 6:29 pm

shlaifu wrote:
yeah, but there's a whole lot of people who we don't consider responsible enough for themselves to do things like drive or if they're even younger, they're not even responsible for the damage they do. ... so... there needs to be some serious education, but still... humans are animals that follow the herd, esp. teens. and it might be cool to start doing h...
( I started smoking because my first girlfriend did... I wasn't the most responsible kid. If I had had access to heroin, who knows, I might have tried... today I regret having ever started smoking....)

and that's sort of why I theoretically agree: if age-restriction worked perfectly and people were perfectly informed and not victims of fashions and advertising, then full legalization would be the right thing. but I just see sooo many practical issues...

I agree with education, but I don't agree with prohibition because it's been found to be ineffective and in a lot of ways even detrimental. I honestly think drugs would lose a lot of their "cool factor" with rebellious teens if they were no longer considered forbidden fruit. With full legalization, there might be an uptick in overdose deaths, but there would also be a hell of a lot less people dying and getting arrested due to organized crime and the violence that surrounds it. Also, call me a social darwinist, but if a junkie in a full-legalization society doesn't seek help and ends up dying from an OD, then perhaps the gene pool would be better off without them.

Now, another thing I will say, I still think impaired driving should be treated as a serious offense, even if it's just under the influence of cannabis. I know a lot of people say they can toke and drive just fine, but people say the same about drinking and driving too. Needless to say, this should apply to other activities where lives are potentially in people's hands as well, like working with power tools or doing surgery. I couldn't care less if a bunch of guys doing menial office work are drunk and stoned off their asses, provided they don't drive to and from work, but I can definitely see why more physical professions would demand drug testing.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 7:11 pm

Quote:
The phrase (little Eichmann) gained prominence in American political culture several years after the September 11, 2001 attacks, when a controversy ensued over the 2003 book On the Justice of Roosting Chickens (republishing a similarly titled 2001 essay) by Ward Churchill, shortly after the attacks received renewed media scrutiny. In the essay, Churchill used the phrase to describe technocrats working at the World Trade Center:

"If there was a better, more effective, or in fact any other way of visiting some penalty befitting their participation upon the little Eichmanns inhabiting the sterile sanctuary of the twin towers, I'd really be interested in hearing about it."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Eichmanns

This line of discussion is risque, for how far do we go to defend our moral free agency.

I'm reasonably sure that Bin Laden was no libertine, but he did discuss social justice.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 9:30 am

Nebogipfel wrote:
I'm guessing he's not including propaganda in with his mind altering prohibitions. He might find it difficult to function if that were banned.

Well said, sir!

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 4:13 pm

trollcatman wrote:
There are Little Hitlers everywhere. Don't forget the real Hitler was a teetotaler and he was defeated by a two guys who drank like fish and smoked like chimneys (Churchill and Stalin).

That's a false claim, Hitler was multiple substance abuser.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 4:45 pm

Fanatics and extremists always seem to be at it, esp the religious one whom want to force down others throats their own morals and values..

Take for instance, people whom will let their children die for lack of proper medication and the like thinking god will come save them or that its gods will.

And just recently in California, A Cristian church managed to wiggle its way into doing its thing in public schools, only to get pissed off because a satanist group was enabled to do the same thing because the Cristian group enabled them to legally do so. (they really should keep church and public schooling separate).

Its just those damned puritans needs to stay out of government offices, they are most always trying to infringe on others freedoms and rights.

TudorGothicSerpent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Its just those damned puritans needs to stay out of government offices, they are most always trying to infringe on others freedoms and rights.

Even the Puritans liked their beer. Sure, they banned "drunkenness", but their definition for that was so loose that it would exclude almost everyone at a house party who didn't pass out on the toilet with puke on their shirt.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 6:11 pm

yelekam wrote:
Hitler was multiple substance abuser.

This brings up another point --
He took meth for his health.

All illicit drugs began as socially-acceptable medicines.

Black markets begin with a tax regime.

Sugar, molasses, tea, and common kitchen seasonings have been contraband, when the duty isn't paid.

Tobacco and alcohol still result in melodramatic raids, including the choking death of Eric Garner.

So, for arbitrary, legal purposes, pumpkin pie and loose cigarettes could be examples of substance abuse,
because people said so -- forcibly.