Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you get jealous/angry when people shares the same interests?
Yes. 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
No. 57%  57%  [ 21 ]
Sometimes. 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
Click here for results. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 37

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 12:24 am

There have been Aussie baseball players here in the US. Is it popular like Aussie Rules Football?

Quantum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2015, 9:28 am

Norny wrote:
Perhaps your interest in physics is a means to retain a unique(ish) component of identity that others do not have, being that it is a relatively uncommon interest.

Does that make any sense or am I hitting a foul ball here?

That is also most likely very true, I have observed this behaviour in me. What can I do about that?

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 9:13 pm

Quantum wrote:
Norny wrote:
Perhaps your interest in physics is a means to retain a unique(ish) component of identity that others do not have, being that it is a relatively uncommon interest.

Does that make any sense or am I hitting a foul ball here?

That is also most likely very true, I have observed this behaviour in me. What can I do about that?

Become the best as physics; be the physics 'god' amongst those you know. Otherwise you will probably just have to stop caring about it and roll with having others like your interest. XD

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2015, 6:41 pm

Quantum wrote:
Hello everybody!

Every once in a while (2 times a week) we study physics in school which is my strong interest. Everytime someone works with my interest my egocentricism kicks in and it makes me feel mentally ill. It pretty much gives me a melt down and I can not do anything about it other than somehow express my feelings openly.

How am I supposed to approach this problem? It's quite frustrating for me to pretend as if physics is my gem than everyone is looking after. I'm not sure if jealousy is the correct term for it, probably more like "it's my lawn".

Any suggestions? Is it normal to get this feeling to an extreme degree?

Hello,

Glad most people answered 'NO' -- that is most people with AS (including myself) would politely acknowledge, and learn from the other person's interests esp. if they're very experienced in the given areas of interest.

The difficulties associated with Aspergers in understanding people with both mutual, and different interests are absorbing i.e., "putting one's mind around" empathizing with other people's viewpoints.

With Aspergers, the main problems are relating to people with different interests. With practice/experience, it becomes easier to acknowledge an ample-diversity of people/experiences.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm

I'm not sure what to do in this situation, but maybe try not to think of physics of being something of yours, but a big field of study that many people are interested in, and you are just one of many who wish to understand as much as possible about it.