has bill nye the science guy gone to the dark side?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 1:29 am

http://www.care2.com/causes/has-bill-ny ... -gmos.html
he met with Monsanto and has now changed his tune on GMOs, to being supportive of them [and of Monsanto]. I guess everybody's got their price. for something that [when they deign to talk about it at all] the biotech companies say is supposedly safe, why do they [en masse] do their best to shut down debate on it in every state?

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2015, 2:02 am

What is so bad about GMOs? I rather have those then starve to death that was so common not so long ago.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 2:04 am

Orangez wrote:
What is so bad about GMOs? I rather have those then starve to death that was so common not so long ago.

If there is nothing "bad" about them then why all the strong-arm tactics on statehouses across the nation to prevent them from passing GMO disclosure laws on food labels?

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2015, 2:09 am

auntblabby wrote:
Orangez wrote:

If there is nothing "bad" about them then why all the strong-arm tactics on statehouses across the nation to prevent them from passing GMO disclosure laws on food labels?

Many foods are genetical modified and could not survive by themselves. Look at cows or chickens? They are not natural and could not survive in the environment by themselves. Thus, GMO is a useless label.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Mar 2015, 2:10 am

Bill Nye makes his living as a surly talking head on cable news now, that should tell you all you need to know. He made a fun show for children, I don't see any reason to care about anything else he says now.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 2:28 am

He's a scientist, he changed his conclusion when faced with new evidence.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2015, 2:57 am

Dox47 wrote:

What are you talking about it is much easier to believe that the New World Order is paying off Bill Nye the Science guy to make sure we eat our GMOs so that their eugenic plan can successful.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 5:05 am

Everything in store nowadays, even the most pure "organic" labels are GMO, the only difference is that recently, they took seeds to the lab rather than just crossbreeding.
go look at a wild banana and compare it to one in the market, then tell me it's not changed, one way or another.

the reason why labels containing GMO are held back is because the public, en-masse, is ignorant, which breeds fear...

Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 8:29 am

auntblabby wrote:
Orangez wrote:

Fear mongering, what else? People are afraid of what they don't know. The difference is Bill Nye decided to seek out knowledge, and after obtaining that knowledge he changed his opinion. The majority of anti-GMO people I know are early 20s hipsters who read some bogus article on the internet and suddenly feel that everything in their food is going to give them ADHD and/or cancer.

I trust Bill and hope he wrote a thing or two about it in his new book.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 8:34 am

Dox47 wrote:
Exactly! Occam's Razor reveals that it is unnecessary to posit a conspiracy, when chnanging one's mind after examining evidence is much simpler.

Scientist are allowed to change their minds; after all, Science is not at all like Religion.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 8:50 am

Orangez wrote:
Many foods are genetical modified and could not survive by themselves. Look at cows or chickens? They are not natural and could not survive in the environment by themselves. Thus, GMO is a useless label.

Why do people make such errors?

The term GMO was very specifically coined to refer to the product of certain advanced techniques of genetic engineering. Prior to the development of those techniques, there were no GMOs.

Standard selective breeding does not result in GMOs. It takes the very explicit manipulation of the organisms genome by those genetic engineering techniques.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 8:52 am

izzeme wrote:
Everything in store nowadays, even the most pure "organic" labels are GMO, the only difference is that recently, they took seeds to the lab rather than just crossbreeding.
go look at a wild banana and compare it to one in the market, then tell me it's not changed, one way or another.

the reason why labels containing GMO are held back is because the public, en-masse, is ignorant, which breeds fear...

Don't be stupid. GMO refers only to organisms who's genomes have been modified with the use of certain genetic engineering techniques. Most of the food in the stores are not GMO at all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 9:10 am

eric76 wrote:
izzeme wrote:
Everything in store nowadays, even the most pure "organic" labels are GMO, the only difference is that recently, they took seeds to the lab rather than just crossbreeding. go look at a wild banana and compare it to one in the market, then tell me it's not changed, one way or another. the reason why labels containing GMO are held back is because the public, en-masse, is ignorant, which breeds fear...
Don't be stupid.
Don't be calling other people 'stupid'.
eric76 wrote:
GMO refers only to organisms who's genomes have been modified with the use of certain genetic engineering techniques.
That is the dictionary definition.
eric76 wrote:
Most of the food in the stores are not GMO at all.
According to my Vegan friends, any food that is not labelled 'Organic' is derived from a GMO, while my non-Vegan friends have pointed out that all it takes to have an official 'Organic' label is to pay a fee ... or just print the labels yourself. There is very little policing of which foods have actually earned the 'Organic' label once the product is on the supermarket shelves, and no policing at all of the so-called 'Organic' foods you see at your local Farmers' Markets.

So, if you want to make some money, go to an ethnic neighborhood and buy up all of the spotty, misshapen produce at the local "Mom & Pop" store. Then slap a home-made "Certified Organic" label on each item, and sell them all for twice what you paid for at the Farmers' Market closest to your home.

If anyone complains that your produce looks funny, you can truthfully tell them that it's because you never applied any pesticides, herbicides, or artificial fertilizers to it before you brought it to market.

They go home happy and you go home with their money - Win/Win!

:lol:

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Mar 2015, 9:26 am

Organic produce is grown with tons of pesticide, actually. Only difference is that the farmers can't use synthetic pesticide. And synthetic pesticide is not necessarily more dangerous than natural.

GMO food has not been shown to have any negative affects.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 9:35 am

What is really funny is the complaints about GMO wheat. There has never been a GMO wheat that was commercially grown. There has been some for research purposes that I don't think were ever approved for consumption and there is a GMO wheat under development, but today you cannot buy any product with GMO wheat in it. In two or three years, that could change, but even then I don't think that the percentage of GMO wheat in the market would quickly reach that of GMO corn.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 9:43 am

For a list of what GMO crops are available, check out http://www.isaaa.org/gmapprovaldatabase/cropslist/default.asp.

There is a GMO wheat listed, MON71800, but note that the application for approval was withdrawn in Australia and approval is not being pursued in the US. That leaves a possibility of Columbia and New Zealand, but I don't think that means that it has been approved. From what I understand, it isn't being grown commercially anywhere in the world.