What is everyone's definition of aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

boothinator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2007, 8:52 pm

I'm still trying to figure out whether I'm an aspie (even though I list myself as one) and I'm thinking that the way of thinking that leads me to be on the edge about being a aspie could be a defining trait of aspies. I always felt that most people were boring, just talking about themselves and each other, but I was able to find a few friends in high school. And I never knew why I chose my fraternity, but now I realize it is because all of them had overbearing parents. So I think that I became very careful about my choices while growing up, since in our society, choice is very valuable.

Think about it -- the more money you have, the more choices you can make. And education has taught us what the right choices are -- they already researched them scientifically. Think about it -- people are so carefully categorized that personality typing is simplifying advertizing so much that people are using personality typing to target and make advertizing. Also, they were able to create perfect music, Ex.: Brittney Spears, N'SYNC and the Backstreet Boys -- completely meaningless yet extremely popular. And from a physics perspective, there is almost as much symmetry in personality types as there is in physical laws. Compare the 4 dimensions of personality types with the 4 forces and the 5-fold symmetry of the Kaluza-Klein theory.

But my childhood made me a bit disillusioned, since my dad is the opposite personality type from me, but I learned enough from him to be moderately social. But the choice I make every once in a while is to do what is counter-intuitive. When someone challenges me, most of the time I don't care and just give in. That's why I don't understand how to do Ju-Jitsu on even a basic level. My friend tried a move on me and said that it was weird since I wasn't doing what a normal fighter does. But if I feel that I could learn more by standing up for myself, then I do, like when my teacher (who I don't understand very well), notices that I'm about to leave because I'm bored and asks me to do an example on the board, instead of saying no, I say yes.

And even more oddly, when I found Wrong Planet the first time, I posted once or twice and got bored. But now, I feel that it seems very interesting, even if it is still organizing itself. I think I'll keep posting. So, am I an aspie? I think I am, since I really feel like I should be using "we" a lot in this post.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2007, 9:01 pm

Let me strip down my AS to its essence then project onto all other aspies. . .

We are gifted in some way related to the handling of complex concepts. These may be of various sorts; not only scientific or technological, but also artistic, tactical, or whatever.

However, outside this talented center, the aspie is lacking in basal talents upon which to build skills. Hence the aspie is wonderful at his specialty, but lost at sea otherwise.

That is me anyway.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2007, 9:28 pm

BOY Nutbug makes us sound like nutcases! Check out oddcoyotes definition:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... c&start=15

It's pretty good.

Steve

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2007, 11:00 pm

Or perhaps I just made nutbag sound like a nutcase. Ooooooom! That could be significant. That could be significant!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Mar 2007, 11:54 pm

social deficits, not making friends approprite to age for me, and some other things like having a structured day and stuff

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 12:01 am

Perpetually viewing the social world as if through a distorted mirror...and unable to allign it to our way of thinking. Limited emotional responses... internalised emotions...extreme emotional responses to overloads of stimuli or lack of control. Obsessive interests, often an escape from a reality that is seen as uninteresting, even harsh. Thirst to learn more, whether it be academically or visually, or even auditorally. (I know I got that word wrong, I am tired). Need for routine...a need to know what is what, where is where and a need for stability or else chaos ensues.

Corsarzs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2007, 5:02 pm

graelwyn hit it on the head

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2007, 7:32 pm

AS is a kind of social dyslexia, a condition where people find difficult to read people and social situations.

Hope that helps. I got obsessed with explaining AS as perfectly as possible a few months back and I came up with this.

OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2007, 7:42 pm

SteveK wrote:
BOY Nutbug makes us sound like nutcases! Check out oddcoyotes definition:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... c&start=15

It's pretty good.

Steve

Yay! -dances-