non-verbal learning disability vs aspergers

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

betruetoyourself
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2015, 1:34 pm

Do people whom have been diagnosed with Aspergers have trouble with academics or does that just apply to those whom have a non-verbal learning disability? My brother whom I suspect has Aspergers didn't seem to have trouble with academics in university yet I whom has a non-verbal learning disability does.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2015, 1:49 pm

Not all people with AS struggle academically, but some do for a variety of reasons. I have marked difficulties with certain processing and started struggling academically as I had gotten older. Not because I wasn't capable of understanding the materials, but because of time restrictions and the way it was presented.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 2:06 pm

I don't think it's so much a "versus" as it is strong, cousin-like relationship between NVLD and Asperger's.

I struggle with visual things. I'm not good at looking at visual instructions on how to fix things. I have to actually try to fix something without a diagram. I also struggled in school with things related to visual learning.

betruetoyourself
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2015, 2:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't think it's so much a "versus" as it is strong, cousin-like relationship between NVLD and Asperger's.

I struggle with visual things. I'm not good at looking at visual instructions on how to fix things. I have to actually try to fix something without a diagram. I also struggled in school with things related to visual learning.

Did you get accommodations when you were in college and if you did what was helpful?

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 3:18 pm

Both can struggle academically.

Someone with just Asperger will or will not have trouble in school depending on how the teacher communicates important stuff, whatever sensory issues are present or not, how special interest interfere with school and how high the IQ of the student is.

Someone with NLD will struggle academically because spacial-visual skills and math are a huge part of school's curriculum. And will or will not additionally struggle because of communication issues, level of IQ, sensory issues etc.

I have just Asperger and I never struggled academically except a few subjects related to people (history, social studies, politics studies) because I was never interested in people. I probably could learn if I tried hard enough but it was too boring to even try. And of course I had a lot of trouble remembering homework etc. And I definitely had trouble relating to peers but it shouldn't be considered academic problem although it did interfere with my grades (how can you focus on lesson when the guy behind you kicks your chair all the time?).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 5:44 pm

I thought I might have needed accommodations--but it turned out I didn't.

I have my own method of learning--nobody interfered with it.

I didn't take notes because I can't keep track of the lecture, and take notes at the same time. Of course, professors wondered about that. However, I proved to them, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that I did my own thing, and did not plagiarize.

To compensate for the above, I relied on the assigned readings. If parts of the lectures were part of the exams, then I might have been screwed. Luckily, the vast majority of the exams were based on the assigned readings. Most of the lectures corresponded well with the assigned readings--but not always. I also relied upon my past knowledge. I am SOMEWHAT of an audodidact. I was very much an autodidact until late in high school.

I graduated Magna cum laude with a 3.8 GPA.

Another thing I did which I always advise: Scrupulously follow the syllabus.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 7:51 pm

Sorry if I've asked this in other threads before, but...

Just what is the story with NVLD? Is it on the spectrum or not? Do standards vary in where it's placed (on or off) depending on what country's medical community you're dealing with?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 7:53 pm

As far as I know, NVLD is its own disorder, but is strongly associated with Asperger's syndrome, even more than with HFA.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 8:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
As far as I know, NVLD is its own disorder, but is strongly associated with Asperger's syndrome, even more than with HFA.

That's why I've wondered, because more than one source questioned if it was really a different thing, or was the same thing as Asperger's, just different facets being noted. If so, that'd put it on the spectrum, right? I've never heard anything final on it, and even some contradictory things.

betruetoyourself
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2015, 8:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think most psychologists think that nvld is on the spectrum but it's not officially recognized by the powers that be.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 8:18 pm

betruetoyourself wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I think most psychologists think that nvld is on the spectrum but it's not officially recognized by the powers that be.

Any sources? This isn't a challenge. I'm looking for information.

betruetoyourself
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2015, 8:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I thought I might have needed accommodations--but it turned out I didn't.

I have my own method of learning--nobody interfered with it.

I didn't take notes because I can't keep track of the lecture, and take notes at the same time.

Were going to lectures a waste of time then? Do you think it would have helped in your case if you had been either given a notetaker, the permission to record lectures or both?

I experience the same difficulty as you did in having trouble taking notes and following the lecturer at the same time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 8:36 pm

I actually think the lectures, at times and to a certain extent, complemented the assigned reading. It's better when there's "give and take" within a lecture format, than merely a lecture. I benefit from the "give and take" of the seminar format.

I don't believe a note-taker would have helped me much. I don't tend to benefit from notes--unless pure rote memory is required.

I could have, possibly, at times, benefited from recording a lecture.

What are you majoring in, Betruetoyourself?

I majored in Speech Pathology and English. Got my degree at age 45.

domanticus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2015, 9:03 pm

Sethno wrote:
betruetoyourself wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/111 ... rs-112113/

domanticus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2015, 9:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I actually think the lectures, at times and to a certain extent, complemented the assigned reading. It's better when there's "give and take" within a lecture format, than merely a lecture. I benefit from the "give and take" of the seminar format.

I don't believe a note-taker would have helped me much. I don't tend to benefit from notes--unless pure rote memory is required.

I could have, possibly, at times, benefited from recording a lecture.

What are you majoring in, Betruetoyourself?

I majored in Speech Pathology and English. Got my degree at age 45.

I will major in psychology if all goes well.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2015, 9:24 pm

Sethno wrote:
betruetoyourself wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I was diagnosed a week ago by a neuropsych.

He told me I have both Aspergers and NVLD, as well as anxiety and explained they often are found in the same person, (myself in this case). He said the NVLD is mostly why I am so exhausted dealing with the world - he was speaking generally concerning interacting with people and communicating, etc. He said that my brain uses a lot of energy and resources creating work-arounds, as it were, resulting in anxiety and fatigue, despite me being bright.

Hope that helps.