Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Neon Noir
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm

Over the last ten years, I've held a handful of short-lived jobs and made a few serious attempts at moving away to pursue school/employment. I just end up burned out and turning into a shut-in. Instead of trying to run through the same brick wall, I'd like to go around it. Both of my parents are crafty people, so there's no shortage of tools or equipment lying around. One of my interests has always been propmaking and visual effects for film, though I found the actual filmmaking process to be way too hectic and socially daunting for me. I'd like to start selling and taking commissions for small projects online, maybe eventually branching out into antique restorations as well -- anything that I can reasonably do alone, on my own schedule, in my own workshop. Realistically, I don't plan on making much money, let alone regular income, but it would be something. Frankly, I'm out of ideas otherwise. Does anyone have any experience to share as a craftsperson on the spectrum? Thanks!

Yew
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2015, 7:04 pm

I recommend you do it!

I have had the same experience as you with the brick wall of society. So it's great I can make some money doing craft in the lovely silence and solitude of my home. I run an etsy shop and sell items to stores https://www.etsy.com/dk-en/shop/MetamorphDK

Commissions can be a bit socially challenging, like you really have to understand what they want.

Neon Noir
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2015, 7:29 pm

Yew wrote:
I recommend you do it!

I have had the same experience as you with the brick wall of society. So it's great I can make some money doing craft in the lovely silence and solitude of my home. I run an etsy shop and sell items to stores https://www.etsy.com/dk-en/shop/MetamorphDK

Commissions can be a bit socially challenging, like you really have to understand what they want.

Your work is really amazing!

I ran an antiques shop on Etsy for a short time and I was able to make a bit of money with niche items like Underwood typewriters/vintage barware, etc. Selling things was never a problem, but supply was getting way too short and expensive as more people began to raid flea markets. I had always been intimidated by the thought of selling crafted items.

taiwanluthiers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2015, 1:41 am

I'm a guitar repair tech and I have commissioned a guitar before.

My big challenge is that I have no idea how to get clients or customers. Seems like no matter how skilled I am I can't convince others of this, or at least make them want it enough to have me work for them. I don't mind the whole dealing with customers on commissions, but the whole idea of having to convince people why they should choose me rather than someone with 100 years of experience is daunting.

Furthermore I can't seem to get social networks to work for me, if anything I am ignored far too often. I don't have any trouble retaining customers however (because they know I do good work).

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2015, 2:45 am

I tried a market stall for a little bit, but I found it too scarey dealing with the customers, and sold very little probably due to my sales techniques. I don't know how you do it on the internet, but I you can give it go.