Recently diagnosed, when were you diagnosed?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 1:36 pm

Hello guys I'm quite new here. I did the DISCO assessment with a professional and the end result was that I'm on the autism spectrum and that I partially have traits of aspergers. I don't quite understand why I'm told I partially have aspergers but still on the spectrum.

If your familiar with DISCO, you might know they take info from your history from family and from your childhood.

My main troubles have been at work, I have trouble when people tell me instructions, if they're not said simply ill get them confused or do things the wrong way. Sometimes i forget how to do something i did a few days before and i must ask to be reminded.
I have trouble remembering sequences. Making the same mistakes over and missing the point in things people say to me. Also i had problems with mood swings and freaking out my friends. I only have slight problems socially but I'm a good actress and I learn.

I think whatever problems we all have we can lessen them the more we practice.

What about you guys? Some of you are unsure if you might be an aspie but if you are diagnosed; was it as a child or later in life?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 1:45 pm

I was diagnosed with autism around 1964, with "brain-damage" soon after.

Of course, there was no Asperger's, officially, until 1994, when I was 33 years old.

Then, under DSM 5, Asperger's is umbrellaed under "autism spectrum disorder"--but it still exists in ICD 10.

I presented as "classicaly autistic" before speech at age 5 1/2, "Aspergian" afterwards.

What do you do for work?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 2:05 pm

My diagnosis and date it occurred is in my signature. I was 55 years old.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 2:07 pm

Hmm I see. Maybe they thought it was brain damage isn't the beginning because autism wasn't well known.

I work in retail. I didn't want to tell my employers the things I had trouble with because of my diagnosis because I was embarrassed but then I did and now my employers help me. I'm glad I told them because now they explain things better and show me how to do things rather than only tell me.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 2:23 pm

I'm 58 and was diagnosed recently, only had the results about 6 weeks ago.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 4:07 pm

Late 40s----like, 47, maybe.....

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 4:13 pm

Cool guys :)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 4:18 pm

I was diagnosed when I was 7.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 4:24 pm

Diagnosed officially in 2008, at the age of 49. Was first exposed to the concept of Asperger Syndrome a few years previous to that, though I knew, the first time I saw a news report on kids with autism, when I was still just 21, that whatever they had, I had some form of it - the physical stims were very familiar to me and I could see the anxiety on their faces that comes from living in a world where everything is too intense.

Doh!
Where are the rest of the emoticons!? What genius decided that change, on a site for autistic people was a good idea? :roll:

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 4:55 pm

I was diagnosed last summer, at age 25.

I first acknowledged I might have AS when I was 17 and my country just started diagnosing kids with it (2005 year). My grandma sent me to a psychiatrist then but after hearing how much each consultation costs I did my best to make the doctor think there is nothing wrong with me so we don't have to pay for more than just one visit. And I ended up without a diagnosis, fooling the doctor that I am just a normal girl that is more focused on school than boys. Stupid me. I could be diagnosed much earlier if I didn't play NT back then.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 6:20 am

I was originally diagnosed in 2007 (aged 40) when I was sent to a psychiatrist for depression. He picked it up in me but I refused to believe it.

It wasn't until 2013 when I got diagnosed again (in a psych hospital for depression) by a different psychiatrist who had no knowledge of the previous diagnosis that I started looking into it and could see why they both came up with the same diagnosis. And to think, all this time I thought I was just different. I had no idea there was a reason for it and that there are others out there who have almost the exact same traits and life experiences as I've had. How bizarre.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 6:53 am

I first heard about possibly being an aspie a few years ago but only was diagnosed last year because of a few things that I needed to overcome before I decided to try and see if it was the case. I'm 21 and was diagnosed at 20.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 2:44 pm

Diagnosed just last September at age 49 with ASD, specifically Aspergers. :ninja:

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

Hm you all have been diagnosed at different times. I'm suprised at how many of you have been diagnosed later in life actually. I suppose since more is known about ASD now so professionals can spot it.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 5:52 pm

will@rd wrote:
Doh! Where are the rest of the emoticons!? What genius decided that change, on a site for autistic people was a good idea?

To the LEFT of the smilies, it says: "View More Smilies"; just click on that----there's, like, FOUR pages of 'em!! Have fun!!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 8:21 pm

Diagnosed at 12(2007).
Was this a bit early for a female case?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.