Do you have trouble tolerating physical discomfort?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Mar 2015, 2:10 pm

I've had chronic allergies & nasal drips throughout my life so I'm kind of used to em thou I do take medication for em daily. I can tolerate colds about as well as anyone but they tend to hit me fast & hard & don't last long. I have a low tolerance to heat & cold. & I don't like being tickled & am very ticklish.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 2:20 pm

I have always found it difficult to tolerate physical discomfort of any kind and make a difficult patient. The thought that a particular pain might not go away quickly or be the precursor to something worse quite frightens me. So the time I spent in the army was difficult, to say the least. What military life taught me, however, was how to make myself comfortable in trying situations and thus avoid pain.

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2015, 3:26 pm

EyeDash wrote:
Good topic. Do you feel frustrated about the difficulty in taking action when you're in discomfort or when you have something you can't shake off? Or is it more like 'my body is betraying me again'?

I'm autistic and I have challenges in processing physical feeling - including being sick or in pain. It's not that I don't have them, it's that I have a truly hard time putting how I'm feeling into words or taking action based on not feeling well. So I get into huge internal fights about 'do I feel sick enough to see the doctor' or go to the ER or have some physical problem looked at. When I was in my 30s, I remember angrily pounding my leg with my fist, and cursing at myself for having constant physical problems. And it's a really charged issue for me - I tend to let conditions go on, not knowing if they merit taking action, and eventually I end up flat-on-my-back sick. I nearly died from TB in my late 30s, collapsing, not realizing I was even sick. I can feel hopeless about it, because the problem is within me. I've never been that well integrated with my body to start with and irritating things like allergies or burning eyes drive me up the wall, make me really irritable. But finally being aware that I have his issue, I'm hoping I can take steps to better take care of my health.

Interesting about the immune system - in my case, I have an over-reactive immune system, so I don't get colds or flu, but I get inflammation and really painful crap.

I get frustrated not only at my body's inability to fight off stuff but the seeming futility of going to the doctor for something in which they might recommend something OTC that I already tried. For example, I've also struggled with allergies and had little luck with Claritin. Or the doctor might just diagnose me with something that I already know I have, like "upper airway cough syndrome" as being a slightly more sophisticated name for "post nasal drip" lol....

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2015, 3:34 pm

Misery wrote:
Are you sure those are "colds" and not allergies? I used to get that crap as a kid, pretty much the same symptoms.... the unending day after day after day for freaking weeks and months of nonstop mucus-related idiocy, and no amount of cold medication does anything to it.... because it wasnt a cold to begin with. I'm on proper allergy medication nowadays, which has saved my sanity, really, because I just cannot stand that crap any more than you can. Most of the time now, I dont have to deal with it anymore, really. Just normal anti-cold medication though doesnt seem to have any effect whatsoever on allergy-caused symptoms.

It might be allergies but hard to tell. Sometimes a cough lingers, particularly after a bad cold, due to post-nasal drip, but it is hard to tell if the cold aggravated the sinus or if it is allergies

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 11:39 pm

Not really. You sort of get used to it living with chronic pain.
Though two things I do not tolerate well at all are heat and IV needles.
Really, the feeling of having anything under my skin drives me crazy. It's so hard to fight the urge to just rip it out.

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2015, 12:23 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
As someone with a chronic case of allergy rhinitis (possibly IDIOPATHIC) for most of my life HELL YES IT MAKES ME MISERABLE. I NEVER 'GET USED TO IT'.
It was NEVER good. It's making me break my focus and concentration on daily basis. It also makes other people judge me for being rude because of it. It makes me resort to something really inappropriate due to having multiple handkerchiefs being completely soaked by mucus. It makes my breathing difficult and if I resort breathing from my mouth, I'll get cough and eventually get fever because of sore throat.
And especially if it's cold; I can't tolerate cold well no matter what I try if I kept sneezing all over again. I cannot 'avoid' cold temperature either.

Yes, this post sounds like whining.

I thought I'd revisit this topic, as my allergic rhinitis is getting worse and worse, combined with post-nasal drip...UGHH... :( I really can't tolerate it either. It saps energy and makes every interaction awkward, as it always seems like I have a cold.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 6:33 pm

I actually have a rather high tolerance for psychical pain. like a sore throat won't bother me, unless it becomes strep throat. A headache won't bother me ether, unless it became a migraine. I can deal with psychical pain. It's emotional and psychological pain that I have a really hard time dealing with.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 3:11 pm

No. By last night I had slept only 11 hours the previous 3 nights combined and was exhausted... but I went out for a non-stop 9km run at 10:30pm because my goals > a little temporary physical discomfort.

As for the medical symptoms you describe, I used to have all of those things - except the anger at them. Now I'm MUCH healthier and almost never get any of those things. I used to take 2-3 24h allergy pills a day for years on end.. now I haven't taken an allergy pill in over 2 years.

Also, I just wanted to point out that IMO it's very likely that a part of the reason it takes you so long to recover from illness, ironically, is because you get so angry at being ill. Emotions influence healing in a much bigger way than most people acknowledge. If you were calm and cool and present about accepting your situation as it is, you'd very likely recover much, much, faster.

leftyspinner
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Apr 2015, 4:06 pm

Yes, I can barely stand to brush my hair. This caused major battles between my mother and me when I was a kid. It also makes me crazy to have hair (even one) touching my face. Now I have it very short. Another thing I have no tolerance for is itching. I am extremely allergic to mosquitoes, and sometimes a few bites make me so miserable that I can't think about anything else. (Then I take Benadryl and am groggy for the next 18 hours).

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 4:18 pm

I have great trouble tolerating physical discomfort, even something as mild as having to go pee while I'm trying to do something else is irritating. I never really get used to anything. Sometimes my clothes piss me off and I have to get home and completely strip naked to find some relief then I'm cold. Very particular about what I wear and I have to "warm up" to new clothing. Also when in any kind of pain even mild it seems to occupy my whole perspective. Last year I had a corneal abrasion and it was a pretty bad one. I was on my knees every time I blinked and basically had to lay down with a cool cloth on my face which pissed me off because I couldn't do anything else but lie there. :(

coupled with pretty bad coordination I've had some gruesome injuries to overcome which I won't describe here but suffice it to say I'm much more careful in similar situations now. I'm also Sensory seeking where I need deep body movements, heavy weights, etc. to calm myself otherwise I can feel very spacy and empty in my body. Sometimes my legs just don't work right and I sort of throw them around like I'm half paralyzed to get the inner sensation back so I can walk properly again.

Good topic.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 5:00 pm

starfox wrote:
I don't don't have such trouble with with that but i do hate being too hot or walking into a building where someone's got all the radiators on. I hate being hot so much. I seem to be bothered by cold weather slightly less than most ppl though. I don't think that's an aspie trait though.

I'm the opposite. I cannot STAND being cold, even a little bit. I hate, hate HATE it! I wear sweaters and thick flannel socks even through most of the summer. If it isn't 80 or above (85 is better), I am not warm enough. I feel like I spend 10 months of the year freezing to death. But being warm doesn't bother me. When it's 95 outside and everyone else is melting out of their pants, I'm just fine. But 75, and I'm back in long sleeves.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 7:48 pm

I have a relatively high pain threshold so the little things don't bother me...thankfully. My shoulders have been hurting for the past 6 years but I'm able to tolerate it well enough. On the other hand I absolutely hate heat and will be in a bad mood on a hot day. Clothes tend to stick to my skin, the air feels close and sometimes heavy, and I get a little heliophobic so going outside can really be a bit of a problem.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 7:52 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
^^ Actually, disliking heat just MIGHT be "an Aspie thing". I put-up a thread on here once, regarding disliking being hot, and maybe, 90 percent of the people who posted, said they hated being hot.

^Add me to the list.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 8:27 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
starfox wrote:
I don't don't have such trouble with with that but i do hate being too hot or walking into a building where someone's got all the radiators on. I hate being hot so much. I seem to be bothered by cold weather slightly less than most ppl though. I don't think that's an aspie trait though.

I'm the opposite. I cannot STAND being cold, even a little bit. I hate, hate HATE it! I wear sweaters and thick flannel socks even through most of the summer. If it isn't 80 or above (85 is better), I am not warm enough. I feel like I spend 10 months of the year freezing to death. But being warm doesn't bother me. When it's 95 outside and everyone else is melting out of their pants, I'm just fine. But 75, and I'm back in long sleeves.

Yeah, same here.

Cant stand being cold, cant stand cold things. There's only a couple of exceptions, milk, and certain other dairy products. Other than that, if it's cold, I want no part of it. It's one reason I just dont leave the house very much, as the weather around here is usually crappy in some way or other, which tends to mean "not warm/hot" to me.