Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 8:19 pm

Dysmania wrote:
You are right. The people who perform ABA only perform ABA practices.

Personally, I am dyslexic and I have been with speech language pathologists and whatnot for the majority of my academic life. What has helped me personally is learning to think in a visual-spatial sense. When I try to remember a fact, I NEED to associate it to a mental image. If I don't I won't remember it. I think almost entirely in 3D pictures.

No one taught me this. It was only when I went on dyslexic forums that people began speaking about this. (And even then not all dyslexics are like this).

I know that some, not all autistics have visual-spatial strengths. Some make their own images, some remember any visual information in this world. No ABA practice will attempt to use tools to teach visual-spatial thinking. You're right in that ABA practitioners are stuck in ABA or nothing else works. Which is not the case.
With my teaching and tutoring of math, I like the approach, don't try harder, try diagonally. And by which I mean, there are many ways to learn something, and please keep trying different ways.

I like to learn technical things in tight fashion. To me, a lot of teachers and even some books are very casual and sloppy about left and right. For example, it's no where near as precise as stage-left and stage-right.

PS I probably should point out that I am comfortably self-diagnosed as an adult on the Aspergers-Autism Spectrum. And most adults my age will tend to be self-diagnosed.