Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 2:16 pm

Not an I-pad, a Dragon Touch because my brother has one and I liked the way his works...though the one he has is bigger, mine is just the 7 inch screen but that's fine. But now I've run into a problem, I have become aware of tethering, aka using a phone as a hot-spot for devices capable of that which this tablet is. However my cell phone service does not support that feature so I am thinking of changing to one that does if I can find one for a similar price I pay now that is also no contract. Virgin Mobile looks promising for that.....but yeah I figured if its possible to do that it would be useful to have a carrier that allows it, so then instead of looking at my small phone screen when I want to figure out where I am going on google maps or watch things on youtube to pass time if I am waiting for a bus or something I can use the tablet that's bigger. I mean I pay 50 dollars a month (unless i get the plan without data which is more like 40) if I can find something similar price without a restriction on tethering seems like a better deal to me.

I admit I got bored typing this but it has to do with technology...

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 10:45 am

T-Mobile has no contract plans that start at $30/month. You can add tethering for an extra $10.

The deal I have is $30/month for unlimited data/text and 100 minutes of talk time. Additional talk time goes for $0.10/minute. (you must buy a phone from Wal-mart :( )

If you talk more and use data less there's plans for that too.

In my research, T-mobile really offers the best no contract deals--at least around here they do...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 1:39 pm

Hmmm might look into that one then, right now I have net10 which gives me unlimited text, talk and data but no tethering, i probably mostly use the data and texting though I do call people sometimes but don't know if I'd use up 100 minutes just for that very quick....of course if the texting also costed minutes that might be another story but unlimited texting is good.

My brother has Brightspot which is through target and he says he can tether with his phone, so I may look into that one as well.

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2015, 10:30 am

stay off mdma

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 1:19 am

accountinglad wrote:
stay off mdma

I did not realize buying a tablet and considering switching to a cell phone carrier that supports tethering for the tablet where signs of MDMA use....that said I certainly would not mind having some, as its nice from time to time, but haven't even had an opportunity to think about getting any for over a year so tough luck there.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 1:43 am

Don't pay for tethering! Just use an unlocked phone or root the Android one you already have. That way the carriers can't discern what you're using the data for. Brightspot, Net10 and Virgin Mobile are all mobile virtual network operators, so I'm pretty sure they're even less picky about usage patterns; they just want all the subscribers they can find. As long as your MVNO uses GSM in your area you can put your SIM in an unlocked phone and load up the account on their website.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 1:55 am

cberg wrote:
Don't pay for tethering! Just use an unlocked phone or root the Android one you already have. That way the carriers can't discern what you're using the data for. Brightspot, Net10 and Virgin Mobile are all mobile virtual network operators, so I'm pretty sure they're even less picky about usage patterns; they just want all the subscribers they can find. As long as your MVNO uses GSM in your area you can put your SIM in an unlocked phone and load up the account on their website.

It does say specifically on the net10 site its not allowed though, and they can just cut service if they did find out somehow, also my phone doesn't have a SIM card...but either way, I just figured it would be easiest just to switch, but maybe not.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:01 am

accountinglad wrote:
stay off mdma

ummmmmm....question relevance??

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:15 am

I know T-Mobile definitely can't see the difference with tethering on my unlocked Motorola. I've heard good things about tethering on Virgin mobile but I'm not sure whose networks they use lately. Didn't know Target had an MVNO so either that one has really stingy rules like Net10 or they're not big enough yet to concern themselves with such hair splitting.

Data is data is data, truth be told it's a lot less expensive to support for the carriers than voice calls or streaming media/video calling but they compartmentalize everything and charge through the nose for minutes simply because people are used to it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:23 am

cberg wrote:
I know T-Mobile definitely can't see the difference with tethering on my unlocked Motorola. I've heard good things about tethering on Virgin mobile but I'm not sure whose networks they use lately. Didn't know Target had an MVNO so either that one has really stingy rules like Net10 or they're not big enough yet to concern themselves with such hair splitting.

Data is data is data, truth be told it's a lot less expensive to support for the carriers than voice calls or streaming media/video calling but they compartmentalize everything and charge through the nose for minutes simply because people are used to it.

Its probably not big enough yet to concern itself...but yeah also not sure the phone I currently have even has the capability for tethering, I certianly cannot see any option on my phone settings or anything to even set it up for that.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:34 am

You'd have to root your phone but I know this tethering utility did a great job for me of obscuring the routing of my connection outside the phone: Barnacle Wifi Tether

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:42 am

accountinglad wrote:
stay off mdma

As if technology is less dangerous/addictive :|