You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 134 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 142  Next

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 3:07 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
My theme song is no longer 'I'm Not Like Everybody Else' by The Kinks.

This is mine.

Hedly
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2022, 3:22 pm

I've seen enough to know that I've seen too much.
(That's a movie reference, but pertinent to my life none the less.)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 5:18 pm

that the simplest and cheapest loudspeakers can "throw" an "image" [stereophonically] magnificently and holographically. i recently decided to replace one of my surround sound loudspeakers [big and bulky and perched high up which represents a danger to themselves and other things (including meself) should an earthquake come along and dislodge them violently]. i chose a very inexpensive, lightweight/compact [shoebox size] and simple "1 & a half-way" system [smaller quasi-woofer/full-range run unfiltered wide-range then a dome tweeter with simple capacitor filtering out everything below about 5 KC] to supplant the trebles where the "full-range woofer" fell-off. i tested the system on my bed powered by an old 5 wpc amp the size of a trade paperback. sitting equidistantly from both left-and-right speakers, (and aside from next-to-no bass) i was astounded to hear the "phantom center channel" so big and thick and vividly "thrown" by these two utterly basic speakers, and on the right recordings the speakers just "disappeared" [meaning if i closed my eyes i could not tell where the sound was coming from with ears alone], which normally is the mark of a very expensive speaker pair. another benefit of such a simple loudspeaker is high efficiency [the typically complex crossover networks on fancier speakers sap power], evidenced by the room-filling sound gotten with just 5 watts per channel.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 9:28 pm

My new theme song is Tin Soldier by The Small Faces.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 9:36 pm

I've got to do what feels right for me.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 7:48 am

One, that having 100% full picture clear vision is actually giving me a subtle form of visual overstimulation. To compensate, it seems a part of my visual processing shuts down or at least 'ignore' but more like 'deny' just like auditory processing with hearing.
Which may explain the crappy visual memory and processing when overwhelmed, which also explains tunnel vision like symptoms...
So it's not just photosensitivity I'm ignoring this whole time, but also the sheer quantity of visual details.
Having to accidentally find this form of contrast with my new glasses, I also learned...

Two, a term called off-axis distortion. Which usually happens with thicker graded lenses and/or bigger frames. My frames are usually big and my lenses are relatively thick.
Which makes astigmatism lenses seem distorted on the corner, which kinda seem like some sort of progressive lens... Except it's not actually a progressive lens.
And, having off-axis distortion creates an effect that staves my vision from overwhelming quantity of details. Which may explain why I felt more comfortable wearing glasses that seem to distortion my sight except in a particular spot.

Better my glasses distort overwhelming details than my processing spent too much energy "filtering".
The same can be said with my eyes stop squinting when it's too bright.

So...

Three; this means not only I need tinted lenses for photo sensitivity, but also off-axis distortions for "quantity" visual processing stimuli if "sharpness" and details as a form of intensity, as opposed to the commonly express brightness and photosensitivity/photophobia alone.
It's not just wanting lighter frames anymore. :o

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 9:55 am

I think that compared to many people on WP, I have a slower and more gentler version of the human body and beautiful, tender Germanic emotions to match. I've also learned that it's nothing to be ashamed of.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 9:30 am

that the tree near the bus stop I use every day has hundreds of hairy caterpillars on it. I hope they don't have poison.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 1:46 pm

Contrary to its name and appearance, the sphynx cat was not bred in Egypt, but here in Canada.

That's so weird. Not only did we breed a cat that looks like Gollum from LOTR, but it has no fur in a country known for its long cold winters. Maybe it's so we can put little sweaters and boots on them?

The sun is bad for their skin, too. I don't think there's sunscreen for cats.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:27 pm

Free coffee tastes horrible.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 4:00 pm

Kroger has a great price on pasture-raised eggs. Not enough to make up for the $.80 here and $.50 there extra everything else costs, but good price on eggs.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 9:50 am

"You can't go in there, it's closed!"

Clearly I can, because I just did.

Got scolded at Sam's Club for ducking under a barrier to grab something that was literally two feet out of reach from the aisle. The forklift was in the next aisle, it took just a few seconds to grab what I needed, what harm, right?

It just occurred to me that they probably close off the aisle next to the one they are working on in case they knock the whole shelf system over.

Meh. It's just me. Nobody will care if I get smooshed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:37 pm

People would rather be nasty to each other than kind.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:01 am

that the climate is warm enough for mangoes to grow where I live.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 12:57 pm

I'm the most sensitive member at my clubhouse. I just can't get away from my reality.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 10:33 pm

Not to post any music videos with words that have to do with drugs, like the Country Joe and the Fish one.