You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 125 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 ... 142  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 1:36 pm

That North Korea has its first case of Covid. Or let the world know that they have it, anyway. I read that they have no vaccine and refuse help from other countries. Would it be wrong if I said I don't feel bad for them at all? :?

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 1:45 pm

That today is Saturday. I just got used to the day being Friday and then it went and changed.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 4:15 pm

...that many of the photos of bergamot (the citrus fruit in earl grey tea) on the Internet are actually of a wrong fruit. Now I know what a true bergamot looks like.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 6:47 pm

Learned that I cannot keep doing what I do without taking more practical rest breaks or separating work into several days instead of making myself sick trying to get too much stuff done at once. :( …….

where ever you go ,there you are

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 7:33 pm

Yay, Jakki! :D

That if you park on a hill nose down, you cannot reach the canoe on top of the truck at the rear. :D

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2022, 7:44 am

I learnt today that Lev Tolstoj was a russian writer who got censored by the church so I am of course reading all his books.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:28 am

blazingstar wrote:
Yay, Jakki! :D

That if you park on a hill nose down, you cannot reach the canoe on top of the truck at the rear. :D

Need more creative canoeing ? :D

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:31 am

^ just more canoeing. :D

Not a specific concrete thing, but I am learning more about how my autism affects others.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 8:34 am

“Anna Karenina” is a great novel.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 12:32 pm

In medieval times people believed that the beaver was a fish because it swims and has a flat, scaly tail, kind like a fish. They would eat beaver meat during Lent since fish were the only animals you were supposed to eat.

The nursery rhyme "Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye, four and twenty blackbirds baked into a pie" is based on a prank where people sometimes hid live animals in food during a feast. I never really understood the rhyme, though. If the birds were in a pie crust that was baked you'd think they would have died from the heat and suffocation.

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 11:15 pm

Today I narrowed down why my legs swell. I think I eliminated venous insufficiency as I don't have the symptoms, which means it is likely lymph and not blood that is backing up. And I determined that it will drain and my kidneys will excrete it if I leave my feet up in the air for a long time and massage my legs, which means the kidneys are probably not at fault. That still leaves heart, liver or lymphatic system, and possibly other stuff, as possibilities.

I also learned a lot about the lymphatic system, and that it drains into my veins all the way at the top of my chest, which means the fluid in my legs has to re-enter my bloodstream before the kidneys put it in my bladder. I probably should have been able to figure that out.

And I learned that my legs will hold about three bladderfuls of fluid.

Heart has been the most likely suspect, and remains so.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2022, 11:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
“Anna Karenina” is a great novel.

You didn't know that? :wink:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 4:58 am

Perhaps allergies are not to be taken lightly..?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2022, 5:06 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
In medieval times people believed that the beaver was a fish because it swims and has a flat, scaly tail, kind like a fish. They would eat beaver meat during Lent since fish were the only animals you were supposed to eat.

The nursery rhyme "Sing a song of sixpence, a pocket full of rye, four and twenty blackbirds baked into a pie" is based on a prank where people sometimes hid live animals in food during a feast. I never really understood the rhyme, though. If the birds were in a pie crust that was baked you'd think they would have died from the heat and suffocation.

In medieval times rabbit fetuses were considered fish and permissible to eat on Fridays and during Lent.

There are cuisines in which songbirds are baked into pastry. Thinking off hand of Babette’s Feast.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 11:51 am

That food that isn't spicy hot can taste that way to people who are allergic to it, like peanut butter.

I've never heard of that before though, so I'm wondering if it's really true or not.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 12:57 pm

That some common types of cheese cause cancer. You had better stay away from cheese.