You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 140 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142  Next

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 10:14 pm

Chainsaws are awesome. I am inspired. I want one.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2023, 8:59 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
In the 1960s there was an anime called 8 Man that was brought to North America and was very popular. 8 Man was a guy who was killed and then reborn when a scientist puts his life force into an android body that gives him superpowers and runs on atomic energy. He is considered Japan's earliest cyborg superhero.

The really odd thing about the anime is that whenever 8 Man was low on energy he had to use "energy sticks", which resembled cigarettes that he put in his mouth, which may have led to the show being canceled in the US. Although someone in the comments said it was really because the show was black and white, and most TV cartoons were in color by the mid-60s.

There is a prehistoric monster...

It came from outer space

sent by the Martians

to destroy the human race

What can we do...

who can we caaaaaaall?????

Call Tobar...the Eighth Man!

======

Yeah I used to watch it when I was a kid in the Sixties. And can still sing the above theme song!

Its the "Eighth Man" (not 8 man). I would watch that, and the live action contemporary import from Japan: "Ultra Man" as well.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 10:58 pm

Richard Petty's first NASCAR race was in Toronto, at Exhibition Stadium - 1958 Jim Mideon 500

His dad, Lee, wrecked him.
Richard finished 17th, 10 places back from where he qualified.

It'd be nice to see them return to Toronto soon. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 11:35 pm

everything I care about dies before I do.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 4:04 pm

If you play a YouTube video of Speed Racer with the English dub at 0.75, the characters all sound surprisingly normal. At normal speed they all sound like they're on...speed. :lol:

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 5:26 pm

I learned there's a black hole which is 1000 light years away, which in astronomical distances is really not that far.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 8:45 pm

The micro SD card I bought for my new Switch can cause cancer and birth defects.
According to California, anyway. :?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 11:33 am

Jimmie Johnson, Jenson Button & Mike Rockenfeller will be piloting the Garage 56 entry at Le Mans.

This is a collaboration between NASCAR, IMSA and the ACO.

It's based on a Gen 7 NASCAR Camaro, but with some pretty major changes. Here's a normal Gen 7 Camaro (left) and a production Camaro (right) for comparison. The first thing that stands out are the dive planes and the extra aero elements at the rear of the car.

On top of that, the lights actually work and it's got mirrors. 8O

I'm curious how this will work out. Hendrick has no trouble putting together an engine that will run for nearly 1000 km at full throttle, but this car will likely cover about ~4800 km throughout the 24 hour race.

Hopefully it finishes, previous NASCAR entries into Le Mans were not able to finish because the teams didn't test enough with the fuel they'd have access to while racing.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 3:45 pm

Model glue dissolves TPE; overall the behaviour is quite similar to polystyrene, ignoring that one is much less stiff than the other.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jan 2023, 10:33 pm

Pre-decimal Australian coins are still legal tender at a rate of 10 cents per shilling.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 7:37 am

The site of the original (long gone) Bethpage Long Island Railroad station is easy to find. Some railroad enthusiasts put up a plaque at the railroad turntable, which was there, and you can see a pit and some brick foundation. I had gone into the woods where it is with little hope of finding anything. The tracks have all been removed, although the right-of-way is still there as a road and bridle path, except near the station site. Park near the unpaved road off of Winding Road (across from a parking lot) and walk on the unpaved road SW until you find the plaque.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 3:12 pm

I learned that there were diesel powered airplanes (back in the days of propeller planes).
Just learned about a Soviet WWII bomber type that came in a diesel variant.

I knew that dirigibles were usually either steam or diesel powered, but not heavier than air aircraft.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 4:03 pm

Marvel Comics has a supervillian called Ultron, a self aware, highly intelligent synthezoid whose goal is to destroy the human race to achieve world peace after learning about human history on the internet.

Of all the many comic book villains, I find him to be the most relatable. Except the high intelligence part.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 1:11 pm

This was a few days ago, but according to a certain map cats are more popular than dogs in Canada, while in the US it's dogs that are more popular.

The person who had the link to the map wanted to know why since they believed Canada was similar to the US and thought it was strange since dogs are more used to cold climates (apparently they've never heard of chihuahuas). :roll:

In fact, most countries in the world prefer cats over dogs. I once heard that being a cat person is a sign of high intelligence, so there you go. Cats rule and dogs drool. :cat:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2023, 1:53 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
This was a few days ago, but according to a certain map cats are more popular than dogs in Canada, while in the US it's dogs that are more popular.

The person who had the link to the map wanted to know why since they believed Canada was similar to the US and thought it was strange since dogs are more used to cold climates (apparently they've never heard of chihuahuas). :roll:

In fact, most countries in the world prefer cats over dogs. I once heard that being a cat person is a sign of high intelligence, so there you go. Cats rule and dogs drool. :cat:

Have always heard that the U.S. population of cats is greater than that of dogs. Have read that in books, and heard it on TV, ever since I was in grade school in the Sixties. And ofcourse many Americans have both species.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 12:20 pm

This was a while ago, but in Japan during the 60s there was a popular anime called Rascal the Raccoon. It was based on a book written in the US about the author adopting a baby racoon for a pet but a year later has to release him back into the wild. In the anime the boy also eventually releases Rascal back into the wild because he is unable to tame him. In spite of this message, many people in Japan got imported baby raccoons as pets and then released them into the wild when they got older and less cute or the novelty wore off. As a result, raccoons became an invasive species and it's now illegal to bring them into Japan.

This so reminded me of Finding Nemo, where many people went and bought clownfish in spite of having no idea how to care for them, even though the message of the movie was that the fish are happier living in the ocean where they belong. Or at least they would be if they could think and feel like humans like they do in the cartoons. Ironic, since the humans clearly didn't think at all.